PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2021 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Team rankings for Bucs offense after the opening weekend -- sixth in total offense, third in passing offense, 30th in rush offense. One of only two NFL teams (with Saints) not to give up a sack.

Bucs are also tied with Packers and Jaguars for worst turnover margin in the NFL at minus-3. Of the six teams at minus-2 or worse, they're the only one that won.

Important Bucs roster-junkie news: practice squad corner Pierre Desir will wear No. 29, and new snapper Carson Tinker will wear No. 46.

Arians said Bucs will see how quickly Pierre Desir can pick up the defense, but they wanted veteran help at outside corner and he’ll bring that.

Really hope it isn’t season ending.

Good thing they took Trask instead of secondary help.

Eck - ****ing - zactly. Such a wasted pick because "we can afford to." This is just week one.

Eck - ****ing - zactly. Such a wasted pick because "we can afford to." This is just week one.
It made zero sense because they’re in complete win-now mode. I’d take a couple of losing seasons in exchange for 2 or 3 Super Bowls.

And then after the draft you had Licht saying that Brady can play until he’s 50.

No matter how many CBs you have, you're in potential trouble if you lose a starter.

I'm just making a point about depth in general. Who knows if they would have picked a CB over Trask. But the idea that the roster is so well stocked that the team can burn some "luxury pick" as analyst called it, on a quarterback despite having Brady, is ridiculous. Maybe it's CB now, maybe it's OL later...bottom line is, when you have a clear 2-3 year window, and you'll be picking last so you'll be low on draft capital, try to draft the very best player you can with every pick you have, rather than wasting it on a quarterback who is almost certainly never going to play. You're going all-in on Brady's health/performance regardless.

I'm just making a point about depth in general. Who knows if they would have picked a CB over Trask. But the idea that the roster is so well stocked that the team can burn some "luxury pick" as analyst called it, on a quarterback despite having Brady, is ridiculous. Maybe it's CB now, maybe it's OL later...bottom line is, when you have a clear 2-3 year window, and you'll be picking last so you'll be low on draft capital, try to draft the very best player you can with every pick you have, rather than wasting it on a quarterback who is almost cerainly never going to play. You're going all-in on Brady's health/performance regardless.
I hear what you're saying, but:

You can always use extra players at some position, but they do need to have a QB read in order to avoid ending up like the Patriots desperate turn to Newton. This wasn't a JAG situation, given the significant age difference with Brady.

If Murphy-Bunting’s injury is season-ending then I hope Licht trades a future pick or two for an established CB on a bad team.

****rell or Desir at CB3 doesn’t inspire much confidence.

They'll probably just sign Ice's fav Sherman.

I hear what you're saying, but:

You can always use extra players at some position, but they do need to have a QB read in order to avoid ending up like the Patriots desperate turn to Newton. This wasn't a JAG situation, given the significant age difference with Brady.

Sure...understand. I just think Round 2 was way too early for this considering the quarterback is going to be a few years away from even having the opportunity to start, so drafting a high upside, raw QB in later rounds makes some sense.

Last edited:
If Murphy-Bunting’s injury is season-ending then I hope Licht trades a future pick or two for an established CB on a bad team.

****rell or Desir at CB3 doesn’t inspire much confidence.

I've been stumping for Gilmore now for over a year. The trade makes sense for both sides. Bucs do tend to play more zone, but he'd still be a huge upgrade for them.

They'll probably just sign Ice's fav Sherman.

Ha! All I was saying is the 49ers analyst is a moron for calling Sherman "a top 10 cornerback" at this stage in his career. Dude is running on fumes.

Ha! All I was saying is the 49ers analyst is a moron for calling Sherman "a top 10 cornerback" at this stage in his career. Dude is running on fumes.
After seeing Dean, they'll entertain fumes.

Sure...understand. I just think Round 2 was way too early for this considering the quarterback is going to be a few yeras away from even having the opportunity to start, so drafting a high upside, raw QB in later rounds makes some sense.
I think that most people would agree with the following, and most of us here have been talking about it during the offseason:

The biggest question mark for the 2021 Bucs is the defensive secondary.

So I really do get your point. I just can't rail against the team taking a QB at the end of the 2nd round, when the starter is 44 years old. I have been calling for them to find a veteran to come in for depth, and I consider the lack of such a move to have been their biggest mistake of the offseason.

I think that most people would agree with the following, and most of us here have been talking about it during the offseason:

The biggest question mark for the 2021 Bucs is the defensive secondary.

So I really do get your point. I just can't rail against the team taking a QB at the end of the 2nd round, when the starter is 44 years old. I have been calling for them to find a veteran to come in for depth, and I consider the lack of such a move to have been their biggest mistake of the offseason.

Fair enough...it's true that they should have found someone better than Gabbert.

Last edited:
I've been stumping for Gilmore now for over a year. The trade makes sense for both sides. Bucs do tend to play more zone, but he'd still be a huge upgrade for them.
That would be amazing. They should be all over Gilmore if Bill is open to dealing him.

The Bucs scouts must have saw something in Trask, to pick him so high only to be a backup QB for at least 2 or 3 years.

Not much difference from Packers picking Love or 49rs picking Lance except they gave up a lot for them.

It's possible that Trask could have fallen to mid to bottom of 3rd round. I don't think he was a steal unlike Mac Jones, who should have gone top 5 and probably will be the best or 2nd best QB of the draft.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back