PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2020 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine being the 49ers, and realizing that you passed on Brady last year...

mans spent multiple 1st rounders the next year to go up for and unknown QB. Now add in the guy (Jimmy G) you wanted to belive in was an absolute scrub in the Sb and playoffs. They deserve what they get for this

My friend is a die hard 9ers fan. I’ve told him many times it’s grounds to firing both Lynch and Shanahan.

Trading Buckner and signing Armstead is looking pretty bad right now. The pick used on Kinlaw is nothing special and he didn’t grade out too well.

They’ve had a slew of bad decisions recently.

All there mistakes would’ve been erased if they grabbed Brady. I don’t remember there cap but I don’t think they would have afforded Gronk but AB with Kittle, Aiyuk, Samuels, Mostart and Juszczyk with Shannhon calling plays is elite.

All there mistakes would’ve been erased if they grabbed Brady. I don’t remember there cap but I don’t think they would have afforded Gronk but AB with Kittle, Aiyuk, Samuels, Mostart and Juszczyk with Shannhon calling plays is elite.
Gronk would've found a way as he said he told Tom that when he (Tom) left NE, that he (Gronk) was coming out of retirement to follow him. These were during those interviews they do a day after the Super Bowl win.

Gronk would've found a way as he said he told Tom that when he (Tom) left NE, that he (Gronk) was coming out of retirement to follow him. These were during those interviews they do a day after the Super Bowl win.

Ya I assume he’d take a pay cut to go to SF too man that two TE with Samuels/AB on the outside and a back like Mostart

I wonder how much AB values Brady probably saving his career. At least for now.
It's tough to get a read on a guy like Brown, but he should be grateful to Brady for what he's done for him.

You'd have to think that Gronk, at 12 years younger than Brady, will continue to keep on playing at least until Brady retires. So probably 2 or 3 years.

He hasn't played as many games anywhere close to other leaders in the all time passing and TD categories. But if he plays 3 more years he'll move quite a bit up the rankings.

Last edited:
You'd have to think that since Gronk, at 12 years younger than Brady, will continue to keep on playing at least until Brady retires. So probably 2 or 3 years.

He hasn't played as many games anywhere close to other leaders in the all time passing and TD categories. But if he plays 3 more years he'll move quite a bit up the rankings.

Gronk has had too much wear and tear to even come close to Gonzalez’s career length but he can absolutely be a Top 5 TE in the league if healthy and more importantly not hating his life for another couple years. Also winning another Super Bowl against Kelce is another notch in his belt for the dumb discussions that were emerging about Kelce being the GOAT.

Comments about a perceived physical decline in Brady last year got me to thinking, so I did a little bit of numbers diving. Post-bye week, here's Brady, regular season and then playoffs:

Tom Brady 2020 Game Log | Pro-Football-Reference.com

And, if you take out the 2 picks against Green Bay that were obvious "punt" situations (Yes, I know, but go with me on it), Brady's playoff passer rating was 104.4. Either way, that was a hell of an 8 game run.

Gronk has had too much wear and tear to even come close to Gonzalez’s career length but he can absolutely be a Top 5 TE in the league if healthy and more importantly not hating his life for another couple years. Also winning another Super Bowl against Kelce is another notch in his belt for the dumb discussions that were emerging about Kelce being the GOAT.
If Howard can work back to 100% (a big if, but possible), then Tampa has a top 3 TE group of Gronk, Howard, and Brate. That would allow the team to protect, and manage, both Howard and Gronk. And that would put both (but specifically Gronk) in position to have a great postseason. But it would also likely mean that Gronk's numbers were kept down a bit, much like his needing time to ramp up last year, and keeping him in to block a lot more than was perhaps expected, kept his 2020 numbers down.

If Howard can work back to 100% (a big if, but possible), then Tampa has a top 3 TE group of Gronk, Howard, and Brate. That would allow the team to protect, and manage, both Howard and Gronk. And that would put both (but specifically Gronk) in position to have a great postseason. But it would also likely mean that Gronk's numbers were kept down a bit, much like his needing time to ramp up last year, and keeping him in to block a lot more than was perhaps expected, kept his 2020 numbers down.

That offense has the potential to be very special this year. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

That offense has the potential to be very special this year. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.
I'm almost hoping that they draft the RB out of Alabama, just to read the message boards of the NFC contenders as they realize what they're facing with that Bucs offense.

Yeah, I'm expecting Gronk to get 500-1000 yards and 5-10 TD because he'll be managed like you said. Because OJ needs managing too, Brate will not be going anywhere. In this context, Brate is actually not a luxury like many think but a necessity.

I can see Gronk playing 3 more years if he is feeling good and not overused. In TB he is going one on one against the 2,3,or 4th best defender and was barely hit compared to past years.

In NE, Gronk was constantly mugged and was too much of the focal point in the NE offense and the opposing teams' defences. He got beat up good year after year in NE. While last year in TB was like a walk in the park for him.

Yeah, I'm expecting Gronk to get 500-1000 yards and 5-10 TD because he'll be managed like you said. Because OJ needs managing too, Brate will not be going anywhere. In this context, Brate is actually not a luxury like many think but a necessity.

I can see Gronk playing 3 more years if he is feeling good and not overused. In TB he is going one on one against the 2,3,or 4th best defender and was barely hit compared to past years.

In NE, Gronk was constantly mugged and was too much of the focal point in the NE offense and the opposing teams' defences. He got beat up good year after year in NE. While last year in TB was like a walk in the park for him.
Some of Gronk's beatings and injuries came from his style of play. He didn't (or maybe still doesn't) seem to have a feel for how to avoid the dangerous hits. He also had that stupid dive over that went too far and almost broke his neck in one instance here earlier in his career. I wonder if that move is the one that gave him his original back injury.

Gronk's the best all-around TE that ever played. He has hands like glue, runs like a freight train and blocks like a bulldozer. If he doesn't get into the HOF it will be a terrible injustice, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Some of Gronk's beatings and injuries came from his style of play. He didn't (or maybe still doesn't) seem to have a feel for how to avoid the dangerous hits. He also had that stupid dive over that went too far and almost broke his neck in one instance here earlier in his career. I wonder if that move is the one that gave him his original back injury.

Gronk's the best all-around TE that ever played. He has hands like glue, runs like a freight train and blocks like a bulldozer. If he doesn't get into the HOF it will be a terrible injustice, but it wouldn't surprise me.

dudes a lock for the HOF

I don't have enough faith in the system to call him a lock.
If longevity is your concern, Gronk has already played in more games and more seasons than Charlie Sanders, a fellow TE who is also in the HOF. I mean shoot, they put Terrell Davis in the HOF, and he only had four healthy seasons before his body broke down. At this point there is no reason for Gronk not to make it in.

Comments about a perceived physical decline in Brady last year got me to thinking, so I did a little bit of numbers diving. Post-bye week, here's Brady, regular season and then playoffs:

And, if you take out the 2 picks against Green Bay that were obvious "punt" situations (Yes, I know, but go with me on it), Brady's playoff passer rating was 104.4. Either way, that was a hell of an 8 game run.

Brady also lost so many yards/TDs due to a freakish number of DPI calls. There's a reason Tampa's offense was right up there with Green Bay and Kansas City, despite those QBs having gaudy numbers. Every QB has some DPIs, but Tampa's was historically high. I'd like to see the passing totals and receiving totals if those are added in, and if you were to award a touchdown for a DPI in the endzone or one that results in a 30+ yard penalty that gives them the ball inside the 5.

Brady also lost so many yards/TDs due to a freakish number of DPI calls. There's a reason Tampa's offense was right up there with Green Bay and Kansas City, despite those QBs having gaudy numbers. Every QB has some DPIs, but Tampa's was historically high. I'd like to see the passing totals and receiving totals if those are added in, and if you were to award a touchdown for a DPI in the endzone or one that results in a 30+ yard penalty that gives them the ball inside the 5.
Sure, and you could also add that, throughout the course of the season, even not counting bad reads and quit routes by WRs, Brady's high pick numbers were "aided" by some really terrible non-catches that turned into interceptions. I haven't broken down all of his INTs, but interceptions that were the result of WRs getting routes wrong or quitting, combined with interceptions that were the result of really bad non-catches, were probably something like 2/3 of the INT totals.

Some of Gronk's beatings and injuries came from his style of play.
And some came from Brady's hospital balls. He'll easily make the HOF. Most dominant TE of all time, most TE from a TE in a regular season, set the record for the most yards until broken by Kittle, 4 time Super Bowl Champ and showed up in every Super Bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes