PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2020 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terry Bradshaw won 4 SBs and Troy Aikman won 3. They deserve to be up there.

Brady
Bradshaw, Aikman, Manning, Graham, Montana
Brees, Rodgers, Elway, Staubach,

How is Brees in front of Rodgers? I'm not a big fan of Rodgers but he's a 3-time MVP, All-Decade 2010's second team behind Brady and has one SB/SB MVP just like Brees. Brees should be in the tier below.

Brady

Manning/Montana

The rest of the Top 10

I think it depends on two things:

1) Is the list really an all-time top 10 list? Or is it Super Bowl era? Or basically just 1980s forward with lip service to the guys before that?

2) Are we adjusting for the era? Are QBs being judged relative to their peers, or is there a strong advantage for QBs playing now in an era favoring passing, which bulks up their stats?

If it’s really a top 10 all-time list adjusted for era, then I think it’s something like this:

Brady
Graham
Montana
Unitas
Baugh
Starr
Manning
Luckman
Layne
Last Slot: Staubach/Elway/Marino/Young (no one stands out)

If it’s more about the Super Bowl era and progressive passing game, so we’re ranking guys based on today’s understanding of QB greatness/skills:

Brady
Montana
Unitas
Manning
Staubach
Young
Rodgers
Marino
Elway
Last Slot: Bradshaw/Favre/Warner/Brees/Aikman/Wilson (no one stands out)

I think it depends on two things:

1) Is the list really an all-time top 10 list? Or is it Super Bowl era? Or basically just 1980s forward with lip service to the guys before that?

2) Are we adjusting for the era? Are QBs being judged relative to their peers, or is there a strong advantage for QBs playing now in an era favoring passing, which bulks up their stats?

If it’s really a top 10 all-time list adjusted for era, then I think it’s something like this:

Brady
Graham
Montana
Unitas
Baugh
Starr
Manning
Luckman
Layne
Last Slot: Staubach/Elway/Marino/Young (no one stands out)

If it’s more about the Super Bowl era and progressive passing game, so we’re ranking guys based on today’s understanding of QB greatness/skills:

Brady
Montana
Unitas
Manning
Staubach
Young
Rodgers
Marino
Elway
Last Slot: Bradshaw/Favre/Warner/Brees/Aikman/Wilson (no one stands out)
I think the top 100 NFL list pretty much got the QBs right. Brady and Manning were the only 2 QBs named from the 2000 era. I agree with that.

You never believed in him. Just watch. You'll see. I've had his poster over my bed for years now. He's the future. Lmao

Team Bill currently trying to explain how Bill dumped Jacoby's ass in 2017 but wants to pay $10M to sign him back and win 11 games. Should be good.

Last edited:
I made a few changes.
I moved these players up one group: Unitas, Marino, Graham, Starr, Staubach, Bradshaw and Wilson.
I moved these players down one group: Both Mannings, Rodgers, Favre, Brees, Elway and Tarkenton.
I also thought about moving PEDton down 2 levels and Bradshaw up 2, but changed my mind.
I took out Vick and Stafford who don't belong.
Brady
MontanaUnitasMarino
P ManningGrahamBreesStarrStaubach
RodgersFavreBradshawYoungBig BenElway
TarkentonWilsonRiversAikmanMoonBaughKelly
WarnerNamathE ManningLuckmanFoutsCunninghamMcNabbMcNair

I would put Elway with Montana and Manning and move Brees to the third tier.
I would throw Marino up there. His numbers in the 80s were rediculous, his stats would be even better had he not torn his Achilles in 93.

I would throw Marino up there. His numbers in the 80s were rediculous, his stats would be even better had he not torn his Achilles in 93.
I have a tough time with Marino as he never won. That matters when ranking the great of the greats. I just can't put him higher than third tier over the guys with the hardware. He was maybe the best passer ever but that is as far as I can go.

If the Bucs tag Godwin, it is not a good precedent walking into all of the other contract negotiations. If the Bucs want to negotiate team friendly deals, tagging a player against his will is not the way to start.

Everything is easy to talk about during the Super Bowl parade. Team friendly negotiations become much more complicated as the days pass by. It is a far more awkward decision than just tagging Godwin. :)
They tagged Barrett last year, and the world didn't end.

I have a tough time with Marino as he never won. That matters when ranking the great of the greats. I just can't put him higher than third tier over the guys with the hardware. He was maybe the best passer ever but that is as far as I can go.
Those denver championships have a huge *. Literally caught cheating the salary cap those seasons.

And the lack of a ring wasn’t Marino’s fault. The laces were out. Finkle just choked.

I think the top 100 NFL list pretty much got the QBs right. Brady and Manning were the only 2 QBs named from the 2000 era. I agree with that.

I think if you're making an all-time rankings list, it defeats the purpose to put five guys from the last ten years. Ten years from today, your list will look entirely different.

If you find a list of All-Time Top 10s from the year 2000, like the chart being discussed now, it will probably have in the top 10: Farve, Montana, Young, Elway, and Marino for starters and some might also include Aikman, Fouts, Kelly, or Moon on the back end.

I think if you're making an All-Time list, it should age pretty well. 10 years later, maybe one or two slots are changed; maybe there's one new player. But putting Brees, Rodgers, Brady, and Manning on a list that's supposed to span 100 years is tunnel vision.

Passing stats are a very flawed measure...they might help to sort within an era only; the average QB rating now is Joe Montana's career's QB rating, which was best all-time when he retired. Championships, MVPs, All-Pro, outlier stats, legendary moments/games...I think those are all important factors.

Winning the Super Bowl would only seem to make it likelier that the two sides find a way to keep things going and General Manager Jason Licht was asked if an extension is in the cards when he made an appearance on The Rich Eisen Show. Licht said he’d keep his conversations with Brady “under wraps right now” but signaled that something was in the cards.

“It’s a possibility,” Licht said. “He certainly didn’t look like he slowed down any this year. That’s a possibility and we’ll have to see how that goes. . . . It appears that he really had a good time this year winning the Super Bowl. Likes our organization, likes our coaches, likes our head coach and ownership and we certainly love him. Usually when you have those two things going for each other, it’s a match made in heaven so we’d like to keep this going.”

Jason Licht on Tom Brady extension: We'd like to keep this going - ProFootballTalk

I think if you're making an all-time rankings list, it defeats the purpose to put five guys from the last ten years. Ten years from today, your list will look entirely different.

If you find a list of All-Time Top 10s from the year 2000, like the chart being discussed now, it will probably have in the top 10: Farve, Montana, Young, Elway, and Marino for starters and some might also include Aikman, Fouts, Kelly, or Moon on the back end.

I think if you're making an All-Time list, it should age pretty well. 10 years later, maybe one or two slots are changed; maybe there's one new player. But putting Brees, Rodgers, Brady, and Manning on a list that's supposed to span 100 years is tunnel vision.

Passing stats are a very flawed measure...they might help to sort within an era only; the average QB rating now is Joe Montana's career's QB rating, which was best all-time when he retired. Championships, MVPs, All-Pro, outlier stats, legendary moments/games...I think those are all important factors.
Yeah. Very difficult to compare eras. It is best to rank within eras for consistency. This is also why so many weight championships the heaviest because winning transcends eras even though it is a team sport.

The best I can do is rank the QBs I actually saw play. I started watching football in the early 80s. I watched a lot of Joe Theismann and thought he was superb yet he never gets mentioned anywhere. He is the only QB to win a SB and a league MVP and not be in the HoF. I also thought Jim Kelly was one of the best QBs I ever saw play and he owned Marino but he rarely ever gets mentioned because of all the SB losses. So it is a dubious task to say the least but I always appreciate someone taking a stab at it to spark discussion. The pyramid you posted is no better or no worse than any others I have seen but still fun to discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back