PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2020 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's only possible if Godwin walks, otherwise they already have almost too much talent at receiver as it is.

But I 'd love it if the Bucs got Edelman. The only way he is making it to the Hall of Fame is if he can get a couple more good years in and have a couple more monster stats in the playoff. It is definitely a long shot and it's not going to happen with the Pats. Can't do it without a QB on a team that is also in the middle of a rebuild.
If his knee is fine we should keep him. He's not expensive and we need him. If he asks to be released then that's another matter. I love what Tom did this year but doesn't mean we have to hand over all our legends to Florida. If he wants to leave though we should do it since the odds are pretty good that we will suck again for another year.

How is that fools gold he was ranked 14 without Vae with Vae he’s an all pro player. I just don’t get the point of paying Godwin when you’re so deep at WR
Agree and ironically the perfect fit for Godwin is the Pat's. They have the cap space for him and he is the kind of receiver that thrives in the Pat's offensive system. Plus, when the rebuild is done, Godwin will still be in his prime.

It's only possible if Godwin walks, otherwise they already have almost too much talent at receiver as it is.

But I 'd love it if the Bucs got Edelman. The only way he is making it to the Hall of Fame is if he can get a couple more good years in and have a couple more monster stats in the playoff. It is definitely a long shot and it's not going to happen with the Pats. Can't do it without a QB on a team that is also in the middle of a rebuild.
I think Edelman is done and I thought so last year.

If his knee is fine we should keep him. He's not expensive and we need him. If he asks to be released then that's another matter. I love what Tom did this year but doesn't mean we have to hand over all our legends to Florida. If he wants to leave though we should do it since the odds are pretty good that we will suck again for another year.
If the Bucs don't franchise Godwin, it could come down to a choice between Godwin at 20 million a year for 5 years, or Edelman for 5 million a year for 2 years for the Pat's.

I prefer the Pat's pay the money for Godwin and for Edelman to go to the Bucs or another contender where he has a chance to eclipse Rice playoff records.

I think Edelman is done and I thought so last year.
Well this is probably the year we will know for sure. I look at Amendola who is a year older and still chugging along with some decent stats and it gets me hopeful that Edelman still has a year or 2 left.

I just don't think the Pat's are a good fit as he'll be driven to the ground as a WR1/2. At this stage he should be WR3 and used sparingly until the playoff push. Similar to Gronk this year. I believe he could have gotten 1000 yards but they mostly used him as a receiver only when he was needed.

By done I mean he doesn't have anything left in the tank.
That is my fear as well.

From a playing standpoint, Curran said there aren't any more surgical options for JE to help his knee. He said it's JEs own tolerance of pain, management and commitment which will enable him to keep playing.

From a quality of life standpoint he's looking at a complete knee replacement.

I think it's funny that some people actually think JJ Watt is going to sign with Tampa, considering the Bucs have maybe $27 million in cap space to sign all their other free agents and that Pittsburgh has both his brothers on their roster. If Pitt can't sign him, then GB is good second choice as he is from Wisconsin.

I think The Squirrel will talk with BB IF Tompa Bay wants him. Despite our need for WRs BB should let him go for say a 6th. Rebuilding.
NOT a fan of Tompa re-signing Godwin. Too expensive. Also was NOT a clutch (Dole, Edelman) receiver in the 4 playoff games. Drops. If Edelman's knee is OK he's a move the chains replacement. If not, FA at $$ to Godwin's $$$.
Also no big $$$ for Barrett. Draft or sign an $$ FA replacement.

What about re-signing Brown, signing James White, and signing Amendola? I'm thinking Amendola and White wouldn't cost more than $7M combined. Then they have a lot of guys who can move the chains...albeit not as consistently as Godwin. But they would have even more combinations and matchup options. Kontra is high on Tyler Johnson, OJ Howard is returning, and Scotty Miller might be a lot better rounded next year.

I don't think Godwin is a bad signing by any means. I just think TB is in a spot where they have a whole bunch of promising Plan Bs.

In the end, I think this will all come down to Brady. He isn't going to demand the team resigns anyone who he likes at all and understands that not everyone can get paid. If he thinks Godwin is that great, I'm sure Godwin will be back. So whatever happens, I'll feel good about the decision.

Godwin needs to cash in now. And it should be with a team that will overpay for a receiver from a stacked roster. That should not be Tampa Bay. Imo.

Who knows how good Godwin is without a stacked roster around him? Is he another Alvin Harper? Most likely.

I think it's funny that some people actually think JJ Watt is going to sign with Tampa, considering the Bucs have maybe $27 million in cap space to sign all their other free agents and that Pittsburgh has both his brothers on their roster. If Pitt can't sign him, then GB is good second choice as he is from Wisconsin.

You keep bringing that up but don’t even know the Bucs can clear up more than 30 million dollars or more. You think they magically will stay at 27 and let all their free agents walk lol. Bucs will resign some of their guys and let others walk.

Huh? Pittsburgh is in worse shape than Tampa being $31M "over the cap." In addition they need to replace their C that just retired. Pitt has a pretty good pass rush already.

If the Bucs can't re-sign Barrett, then they can sign JJ for much less, so it works out better for their cap situation.

F*ck Green Bay.

Combining the free agent and Gronakeers thread seems appropriate today, so here's a question for those of you who actually paid attention to the Tampa defense this past season:

If you can only have one, do you choose an obviously diminished, but still game JJ Watt on a 1-2 year deal for something like $10m per year, or a longer term deal with Barrett at the money he's likely to command?

Neither. They would be paying, in part, for the name. That defense has the ability to create the next name at half the cost. Imo.

Godwin needs to cash in now. And it should be with a team that will overpay for a receiver from a stacked roster. That should not be Tampa Bay. Imo.

Who knows how good Godwin is without a stacked roster around him? Is he another Alvin Harper? Most likely.

Make money and likely going to a crappy team. Like the guy but he’s not a 20 million dollar wr. That’s the problem with the market. Same thing goes for Hopkins.

Godwin's the chain mover. He's the Edelman/Welker/Brown. Brown's history makes it dangerous to rely on him as the primary in such a role. I'm not saying that they need to go with a "Godwin or bust!" approach, but they do have to have a backup plan for that role if they're not going to bring him back.

The problem with brown in bringing him back is his issues off the field but I think he’s capable of getting a 1000 yard season at his age. Tampa got to have a plan. Some other wideouts might be out there on the cheap.

Manning was in Mile High when he was told of his induction and he was wearing a Broncos jersey on Super Bowl weekend. He's said before he associates himself with the Broncos. Definitely not a compliment to the Colts that's for sure.

Would be disappointing if Brady does that to the Pats. Was bad enough when Johnny Damon did the same thing turning his back on the Red Sox.

I would choose Denver of Indy to live if I had to make that choice. Nothing about Indianapolis that appeals to me. It's like if little house on the prairie grew up and became a strip mall with nasty strip clubs.

That is my fear as well.

From a playing standpoint, Curran said there aren't any more surgical options for JE to help his knee. He said it's JEs own tolerance of pain, management and commitment which will enable him to keep playing.

From a quality of life standpoint he's looking at a complete knee replacement.

I've been wishing that Edelman retires for a few years now. Too many hits. Love his contributions but he needs to hang them up. My hope is that twenty years from now he is still chatting about the good old times instead of being a CTE sob story.

I've been wishing that Edelman retires for a few years now. Too many hits. Love his contributions but he needs to hang them up. My hope is that twenty years from now he is still chatting about the good old times instead of being a CTE sob story.
Amen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back