PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2020 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m happy it worked out the way it did. Belichick and Kraft were lousy for trying to get rid of Gronk and Brady, but it worked out for them both, Tom especially, who destroyed all the propagandist narratives of his envious haters and cemented his legacy even further as the indisputable GOAT.

Patriot fans should be happy at what his success in Tampa does for the Patriots legacy. It proves our Dynasties were victories of men and not “systems” or laundry, or the product of a subterranean Artificial Intelligence crunching play-probability numbers. This is honestly probably the best case scenario for the legacy of our last twenty years.

A Bucs victory is your own.
God damn. What a post. Bravo. Take a bow, good sir.

If you look at the Chiefs drafts from a cost/value perspective, you'll see that they're running on the last fumes of their massive draft success earlier this decade, but after the Mahomes pick in 2017, they've gone pretty much bust overall. Since the Mahomes contract situation is about to change drastically, and the Chiefs are banking so much on superstar contracts, without much replenishment with younger, cheaper players, they're going to have an incredbily front loaded/superstar heavy team with very few upper-middle players and not many middle class players; it will mostly be the superstars and bottom players, much like Seattle in 2015 onward. Bad drafts and overpaying show up when a rookie QB gets paid; look at the Texans for another example. The Chiefs won't fall like that, but their team is going to decline quite a bit quickly.

If you don't think their relatively barren past four drafts are important, you probably ignored quite a few warnings from members here who saw the Patriots roster crash coming well before this season and realized that 2018 was more of a last stand before major issues shone through.

I believe Tampa Bay has the best three-year window of any team. They're already dealing with Brady's $25M cap hit and, as I've pointed out previously, they don't have a bunch of backloaded, time bomb contracts like the Chiefs.

I expect they'll load up with star players this offseason while doing some cap gymnastics, much like the Broncos in 2014 when they kept most of their players and still brought in guys like Talib, Ware, and Sanders. The cap is lower, but it's lower for every team, so the market will be depressed.

Last edited:

If you look at the Chiefs drafts from a cost/value perspective, you'll see that they're running on the last fumes of their massive draft success earlier this decade, but after the Mahomes pick in 2017, they've gone pretty much bust overall. Since the Mahomes contract situation is about to change drastically, and the Chiefs are banking so much on superstar contracts, without much replenishment with younger, cheaper players, they're going to have an incredbily front loaded/superstar heavy team with very few upper-middle players and not many middle class players; it will mostly be the superstars and bottom players, much like Seattle in 2015 onward. Bad drafts and overpaying show up when a rookie QB gets paid; look at the Texans for another example. The Chiefs won't fall like that, but their team is going to decline quite a bit quickly.

If you don't think their relatively barren past four drafts are important, you probably ignored quite a few warnings from members here who saw the Patriots roster crash coming well before this season and realized that 2018 was more of a last stand before major issues shone through.

I believe Tampa Bay has the best three-year window of any team. They're already dealing with Brady's $25M cap hit and, as I've pointed out previously, they don't have a bunch of backloaded, time bomb contracts like the Chiefs.

I expect they'll load up with star players this offseason while doing some cap gymnastics, much like the Broncos in 2014 when they kept most of their players and still brought in guys like Talib, Ware, and Sanders. The cap is lower, but it's lower for every team, so the market will be depressed.

The bill will come due for the chiefs just like it does every team. Remember the legion of boom was going to dominate for years?

Fournette not really smart on his blitz pickup! He should have protect the weak side of the line. There was 3 blocker on the left with the TE and two on the right and the guy went left!

Usually Brady calls out the blitzer.

I honestly believe if that team approaches the off-season well, they'll be even better next year. If you get 90% of 2020 Brady, keep AB or Godwin, the team gets 13 wins. CB is their only glaring weak spot on defense, and LT on offense. Top to bottom, the team has a lot of potential. Not a bunch of all pros, but Solid to good players on both sides.

Fournette not really smart on his blitz pickup! He should have protect the weak side of the line. There was 3 blocker on the left with the TE and two on the right and the guy went left!
Fournette isn't really smart in general. The coaching staff seems determined to throw the ball to that dunce no matter how many times he drops it.

The bill will come due for the chiefs just like it does every team. Remember the legion of boom was going to dominate for years?
It is worth it if a team can win a championship.

I honestly believe if that team approaches the off-season well, they'll be even better next year. If you get 90% of 2020 Brady, keep AB or Godwin, the team gets 13 wins. CB is their only glaring weak spot on defense, and LT on offense. Top to bottom, the team has a lot of potential. Not a bunch of all pros, but Solid to good players on both sides.
Need to get him a reliable pass catch back.

Isn't James White a free agent?:eek:

Let Godwin walk sign AB for cheap that offense with AB/Evans/Miller/Johnson is still elite

Need to get him a reliable pass catch back.

Isn't James White a free agent?:eek:

He can be close to his mother if she stays in Miami area being in TB.

Let Godwin walk sign AB for cheap that offense with AB/Evans/Miller/Johnson is still elite
I don’t think you can really let Godwin walk to keep AB because Godwin is the futur. You sign him to a long term contract. AB is year to year because, in my opinion,he clearly wants to play with Brady and don’t necessarily want to cash in so I think Brady can convince him to play for not « too much ». I could see Godwin take less to stay with Brady also and Gronk will take a pay cut if it means keeping both guys. It will be an interesting off season for them.

I don’t think you can really let Godwin walk to keep AB because Godwin is the futur. You sign him to a long term contract. AB is year to year because, in my opinion,he clearly wants to play with Brady and don’t necessarily want to cash in so I think Brady can convince him to play for not « too much ». I could see Godwin take less to stay with Brady also and Gronk will take a pay cut if it means keeping both guys. It will be an interesting off season for them.

You can’t pay two WR that kind of money and field a championship team, especially when you have competent replacements for him. Even if it’s not AB they can find Edelman through Brady

You can’t pay two WR that kind of money and field a championship team, especially when you have competent replacements for him. Even if it’s not AB they can find Edelman through Brady
After reading about JE's last interview I think he may be willing to go to Tampa next year if the Pats trade or release him. If his knee is ok and he's cheap he can help them. They can't franchise Godwin at 16mil. I think he's their best receiver not named Antonio but Mike Evans is signed and draws double coverage. If they can trade him then maybe they can keep him but he's like a god to them so I don't think they do. That kid they have Johnson looks damn good too. We would take him right now. Pats should ask for him for JE if bucs call for a trade but they wouldn't do that.

Third down running back, backup/depth pass rushing, and maybe corner are the needs (in that order) assuming they manage to keep their top free agents. I say maybe corner because the top three guys have been up and down but are all young / ascending and have been playing very well when utilized correctly as press man corners in the postseason.

I assume they franchise Godwin, resign Gronk on favorable terms, resign David and Barrett to bigger but reasonable deals and let Brate / Suh walk. Unsure what happens with AB, depends on if there’s a real market for him. If they can get a real third down back that offense is lethal and the defense should continue to be ascending as the younger players reach prime (corners and safeties, Devin White, Vea) countered by likely decline in JPP.

That’s probably the NFC favorite depending on Brady really, barring something crazy like the 49ers or Rams landing Rodgers.

i still am trying to wrap my head around fournette having 3 drops against the packers as a running back. him and Jones have stone hands. reunite Brady and James White

Keshawn Vaughn is so much better as a receiver and blocker than Fournette or Jones. It’s almost impossible for those two to be as bad as they are at catching a football and making people miss in space. They’re both short yardage backs like LaGarrette Blount who are fine for a few first down runs and a 4th and 1 every now and then.

Also, Fournette dropped that touchdown against the Saints. They’re lucky it wasn’t reviewed.

They paid AB 1M for 8 games this year. do you think Brady could convince him to play for like 5M? And Godwin 12.5M?

Every scoring plays are reviewed

It wasn't. They're only reviewed if there's some specified reason to look at it. It looked like an obvious catch, but it wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes