PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2020 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
the question is why pay Godwin that money when you can pay AB for half the price and afford to keep a guy like Davis as well

Because all it takes is one AB screw up and they’re screwed at the wr position.

the question is why pay Godwin that money when you can pay AB for half the price and afford to keep a guy like Davis as well
Why not keep both and just have three #1 receivers?

I still don't think bucs offense is efficient.Brady is bound to throw too many bad balls in the Superbowl, then we'll Watch Arian blame him in the post game for the loss.

Tristan Wirfs

769 pass blocking snaps
1 sack allowed (against Khalil Mack)

4 pressures allowed in the last 8 games

what a pick

Their rookie safety too. They had a great draft to propel to the Superbowl.

Bucs wearing the road travel white jerseys for the SB even though they're the home team. Can't blame them given their road playoff wins against NO and GB.

Mahomes Career as starter first 3 years
(1) MVP, lost AFCCG in OT to current GOAT
(2) Won Super Bowl
(3) Super Bowl Appearance

Brady Career as start first 3 years
(1) Won Super Bowl
(2) 9-7 missed playoffs
(3) Won Super Bowl

If Mahomes wins the Super Bowl he has a better start to his career than the current GOAT. Even if he loses its pretty debatable.
It's GOAT (Greatest of all time) not GOFTY (Greatest of first three years).

Come back when Mahomes has 6 SB wins, 10 SB appearances and has played in 15 conference title games. Not to mention having thrown TD passes to 80 different players instead of 6 or 7.

Because all it takes is one AB screw up and they’re screwed at the wr position.

Yeah, are we forgetting how much of a head case AB is? He jettisoned himself off 3 teams last year.

This year is okay because they can manage without him and he's on his best behavior in a "prove it" year. But does anyone trust giving Antonio brown big money and relying on him for a while season?

It's a huge risk. They will pay Godwin and let brown go if his price is too high and he will go to a loser team that thinks he's an answer

I still don't think bucs offense is efficient.Brady is bound to throw too many bad balls in the Superbowl, then we'll Watch Arian blame him in the post game for the loss.
The frustrating part is they can be super efficient but they're stubborn for those deep balls

The frustrating part is they can be super efficient but they're stubborn for those deep balls
I agree in the second half of the year they were hitting intermediate routes and that opened the deep pass by itself. I was surprised they didn’t try those inside route to Brate and Godwin. Is it them giving up on that or is it the GB D that took that away?

I agree in the second half of the year they were hitting intermediate routes and that opened the deep pass by itself. I was surprised they didn’t try those inside route to Brate and Godwin. Is it them giving up on that or is it the GB D that took that away?

Let’s hope and pray Arians and Leftwich aren’t that stubborn and ignorant to continue with this scheme.

The only rationalization I can think of is the last three games have featured Washington (excellent secondary), New Orleans (very good secondary, Lattimore always shuts down Evans) and Green Bay (okay secondary, Alexander is shutdown corner though.)

The Chiefs have neither a great secondary nor a guy who can shut down Evans 1-on-1.

Let’s hope and pray Arians and Leftwich aren’t that stubborn and ignorant to continue with this scheme.

The only rationalization I can think of is the last three games have featured Washington (excellent secondary), New Orleans (very good secondary, Lattimore always shuts down Evans) and Green Bay (okay secondary, Alexander is shutdown corner though.)

The Chiefs have neither a great secondary nor a guy who can shut down Evans 1-on-1.
First, I have to say I generally love all your posts and many others on this thread. But I do find it comical that so many continue to berate this offense every week and here they are in the SB largely because the offense has caught fire the last 7 games. I think most of us have a brain cramp watching Brady in this offense because we saw 20 years of the dink and dunk. That is not the Bucs at all. They completed 6 passes of 20 yards or more vs GB which included the Miller TD at the end of the half which IMO iced the game even though GB clawed back in late. I do wish they did more of short stuff but they also put up 30 points every single playoff game on the road with the most explosive plays by a mile over any other team. Those chunk plays are a killer and flip games by their very nature. They are not going to change much vs KC nor should they. As you say, they are the worst secondary in the playoffs they will face. They can easily connect on the deep throws which they did the first game as well.

Last edited:
I hope they don't re-sign Godwin. He's a good receiver, but there's no way he's worth $16-18M to TB when they have so much talent there.

Scotty Miller is a good deep threat who might be able to round his game more. Tyler Johnson might develop into a pretty good target.

I'd rather see them use that money to extend OJ Howard when his contract expires next year.

They should also look at Adam Humphries, since he'll be cut from Tennessee and will cost peanuts; the Patriots were going to pay him $10M and he's still only 27. Clearly a ****ty fit for Tennessee.

I doubt they'll sign Antonio Brown because he'll (rightfully) look for the most guaranteed money; likely not coming from a Super Bowl contender or from Bruce Arians...only chance is if Brady talks AB into a deal that includes incentives. I hope he's back, but I'm skeptical.

Larry Fitzgerald is so old (38!) but there's the Bruce Arians connection there. Wonder if he could be a one-year guy who plays 10 red zone snaps a game.
Howard has never stayed healthy. I think he is probably out after next year. Godwin is worth that salary and I would rather have him over AB because of age and less worry about him getting into trouble and getting suspended. Although I do think AB stays for cheap to play with Brady. Gronk too. He already said he is coming back and Tampa has not even offered him a contract yet. LOL. That is the power of Brady.

Would love Larry. Remember all those years Bill teased us with potentially getting Larry? Would be awesome if Arians got him as another zinger to Bill.

They definitely hit on their picks the last 2-3 years

Got lucky on Wirfs. He was universally regarded as the top OL and was considered a lock to go much higher. He dropped into their lap. Much more lucky than a great job of scouting.

First, I have to say I generally love all your posts and many others on this thread. But I do find it comical that so many continue to berate this offense every week and here they are in the SB largely because the offense has caught fire the last 7 games. I think most of us have a brain cramp watching Brady in this offense because we saw 20 years of the dink and dunk. That is not the Bucs at all. They completed 6 passes of 20 yards or more vs GB which included the Miller TD at the end of the half which IMO iced the game even though GB clawed back in late. I do wish they did more of short stuff but they also put up 30 points every single playoff game on the road with the most explosive plays by a mile over any other team. Those chunk plays are a killer and flip games by their very nature. They are not going to change much vs KC nor should they. As you say, they are the worst secondary in the playoffs they will face. They can easily connect on the deep throws which they did the first game as well.

The way to win Super Bowls is to complete short high percentage passes and to gas the defense.

Tried and true.

The way to win Super Bowls is to complete short high percentage passes and to gas the defense.

Tried and true.
Or you can just kill them early with a couple of bombs!

Seriously, it is the combo that is effective. That is what Tom never had here except for the Moss years. A receiver the defense has to respect on the long ball. Tampa can do anything they want. Short, midrange or deep but the deep is the killer.

Or you can just kill them early with a couple of bombs!

I don't buy it against Mahomes. Kill his defense + Keep him off the field. With deep downfield throws I typically don't mind interceptions too much. Against Mahomes I do.

I don't buy it against Mahomes. Kill his defense + Keep him off the field. With deep downfield throws I typically don't mind interceptions too much. Against Mahomes I do.
You have to score and score a lot. The last time they played the Chiefs got 27. If they Bucs can replicate that they will win as their offense is light years better now than it was then. You put all the pressure on Mahomes to have to score like they did vs GB and then wait for the mistakes to happen. They are not a team used to trailing so you have to get out in front of them.

i’d like to see them use that Evans comeback route that they used quite a bit weeks 14-17. I’m assuming they haven’t used it much in the playoffs because Washington has a great secondary, and the Saints and Packers had lockdown corners for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe