PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2020 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
or Brady would have thrown a fit about them because they ran the wrong routes and not looked their way again like he did to Meyers last year and still left.
LOL comparing them to an undrafted FA. :rofl:

This is good stuff.

Multiple first overall picks at QB????

Huh?

Who are you referring to?

I only know of one, Drew Bledsoe, and Bledsoe took us to a Super Bowl with a defense that was basically Belichick's (recall how bad that defense was before BB came on board).

Also recall that with Bledsoe at the helm we won the 2001 AFC CG against the Steelers.

Isn't this proof that we can win big games with QBs like Bledsoe (or worse than Bledsoe)?

What other #1s are you referring to (and please don't say Testaverde)?
Yes - the names will be Vinnie and Cam who were both picked #1. Completely irrelevant as neither were very good but it's a cute narrative when you are looking to bash the GOAT coach. 19 straight winning seasons, 13 conference championship games, 6 Super Bowls is a resume of someone who still needs to prove himself.

Yes - the names will be Vinnie and Cam who were both picked #1. Completely irrelevant as neither were very good but it's a cute narrative when you are looking to bash the GOAT coach. 19 straight winning seasons, 13 conference championship games, 6 Super Bowls is a resume of someone who still needs to prove himself.

And bizarrely Vinny T. was a backup to Tom Brady for just one year. Maybe posters would have been satisfied if Vinny T. was the QB instead of Tom that year.

And weirdly, no mention that old washed up Vinny T. who was not very good elsewhere in the NFL actually lead the Jets to the AFCCG 2x with Belichick running the defense.

And bizarrely Vinny T. was a backup to Tom Brady for just one year. Maybe posters would have been satisfied if Vinny T. was the QB instead of Tom that year.

And weirdly, no mention that old washed up Vinny T. who was not very good elsewhere in the NFL actually lead the Jets to the AFCCG 2x with Belichick running the defense.
I contend that BB turned around the career of a 43 year old Vinnie as he was undefeated in the 3 games he played for the Patriots as a 43 year old in 2006 including a QB rating of 137.5. I think you are correct and BB blew it by not starting him.

I feel bad in this thread as a read posts of people knocking Brady and Belichick. Why? Because I'm constantly questioning fellow posters bonafides. I really wonder how long people have been watching football.

Every team in this league except perhaps KC would want to hire BB as HC if he were available. EVERY TEAM but 1.

BB's history with the Giants, Browns, New England, the Jets and New England shows he was able to very quickly turn around defenses and make them top notch. He's done it over and over and over again. Hell, he was in New England just 1 year in his first stint when we went from 5-11 to the Super Bowl. All because of the defense (and well, ironically, Terry Glenn!).

or Brady would have thrown a fit about them because they ran the wrong routes and not looked their way again like he did to Meyers last year and still left.

I almost responded to this moronic post

The thing with Testavedre though is, Bill and Testaverde are the last Coach/QB combo to win a playoff game for the Browns. So anyone asking if Bill can win a playoff game without Brady the answer has always been yes because he won a playoff game with Testaverde in Cleveland and true Pats fans would know that since it was against the Pats.

1610309732515.gif

Last night confirmed that Tampa’s post-bye transformation on offense was not just due to weak opponents. Fast tempo, lots of different receiver-tight end combinations, quick passing game. Brady didn’t throw a single pass that had a chance to be intercepted.

I knew they’d get annihilated by the Saints in that mid-season game because their offense looked so confused and unable to handle a good pass rush.

I’m not sure their defense getting curbed stomped by the Saints was a fluke though. At the same time, NFL defenses are generally a muddled group of mediocre units subject to the offense they’re facing.

I‘ll be rooting for the Bears, obviously, but I think the Bucs have a decent shot against the Saints after last night.
I agree. Their offense is scary good. Their D is also scary bad. I hope White adds a much needed boost.

1610309943493.gif

LOL at the implication that Brady should have thrown to someone even though they were running the wrong route. That’s grade A comedy gold. In any event, he had Edelman (11 seasons in the system), Dorsett (3 seasons in the system), and Harry (first round pick) ahead of him on the depth chart. That’s also not including times where they went into 20, 21, and 22 personnel with two backs on the field. Please tell me who the guy that was running the wrong routes in 2019 should have supplanted on the depth chart as the season went on? Or not. I have a sneaking suspicion that I won’t get a response here.

I agree. Their offense is scary good. Their D is also scary bad. I hope White adds a much needed boost.
Nah Bucs defense is quite good actually. Look what they did to Rodgers.

The Patriots defense in 2020- now that was scary bad. The Bucs defense is much, much better up front, Pats are good in the secondary on paper but tbh they weren’t all that in 2020.

Talent matters in this league.

From now on the story and legacy of Bill the coach without Brady will be written by Bill the GM. Rebuild successfully and build a contender starting couple of years from now and then the narrative that Bill is nothing without Brady will disappear permanently. This won’t happen overnight though.

View attachment 29755

LOL at the implication that Brady should have thrown to someone even though they were running the wrong route. That’s grade A comedy gold. In any event, he had Edelman (11 seasons in the system), Dorsett (3 seasons in the system), and Harry (first round pick) ahead of him on the depth chart. That’s also not including times where they went into 20, 21, and 22 personnel with two backs on the field. Please tell me who the guy that was running the wrong routes in 2019 should have supplanted on the depth chart as the season went on? Or not. I have a sneaking suspicion that I won’t get a response here.

All of this discussion is moot though since Marshall Newhouse didn't give him more than 1.5 seconds to throw. Hard to play football when one of your lineman was evidently given a red card before the game (soccer joke).

View attachment 29755

He’s the new @shmessy

I think he did develop with Brady. He said his first day he went in at 5:15am and saw Brady already watching film.

I don't think that would be enough to get me out of bed. We are living the "you do you" era!

He’s the new @shmessy
Yep. shmessy, lol. He dipped out pretty quickly as soon as the team fell back to the pack.

81zydXKbyZL._RI_.jpg

From now on the story and legacy of Bill the coach without Brady will be written by Bill the GM. Rebuild successfully and build a contender starting couple of years from now and then the narrative that Bill is nothing without Brady will disappear permanently. This won’t happen overnight though.
The legacy of BB is of the GOAT coach. Like Brady he has a chance to augment it a smidge if he brings them back to serious contention but if he retires in 2 years never having done so I am not sure what that proves. Brady left at the time of a rebuild and near the end of Bill's career so the context is much different than if it happened 10 years ago. In the moment it may seem like something to a select few but as time passes what he did in the 19 year run will be what defines him. Just like Noll of the 70's, Walsh of the 80's and Parcells. Their failure to repeat earlier successes is never mentioned. I honestly do not really understand the entire w/o Brady narrative since their run together was so long. I never heard that brought up with Red having to prove he could win with Russell or Walsh w/o Montana etc...

The legacy of BB is of the GOAT coach. Like Brady he has a chance to augment it a smidge if he brings them back to serious contention but if he retires in 2 years never having done so I am not sure what that proves. In the moment it may seem like something to a select few but as time passes what he did in the 19 year run will be what defines him. Just like Noll of the 70's, Walsh of the 80's and Parcells. Their failure to repeat earlier successes is never mentioned. I honestly do not really understand the entire w/o Brady narrative since their run together was so long. I never heard that brought up with Red having to prove he could win with Russell or Walsh w/o Montana etc...
Right I‘m really only talking about the narrative that Bill needed Brady to win. I do not believe that question is answerable right now. I think we should see the rebuilt Pats team first before trying. If it’s a contender then all will be good.

The legacy of BB is of the GOAT coach. Like Brady he has a chance to augment it a smidge if he brings them back to serious contention but if he retires in 2 years never having done so I am not sure what that proves. Brady left at the time of a rebuild and near the end of Bill's career so the context is much different than if it happened 10 years ago. In the moment it may seem like something to a select few but as time passes what he did in the 19 year run will be what defines him. Just like Noll of the 70's, Walsh of the 80's and Parcells. Their failure to repeat earlier successes is never mentioned. I honestly do not really understand the entire w/o Brady narrative since their run together was so long. I never heard that brought up with Red having to prove he could win with Russell or Walsh w/o Montana etc...
I think because Bill got so much of the credit for the team's success. Way more than the other legacy coaches. Now that Brady has moved on and is having success and we are rebuilding, it is a natural narrative.

Plus the media is completely different now a days.

Last edited:
Maybe, but what's life w/o a little drama?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back