PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2020 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to those whose agenda is pointing out Brady apparently sucks. TommyBrady12 and the like view it as the end all of any discussion. "[He's] just not good anymore!" *Trent Dilfer voice*

They're clowns for doing it, and they know better.

Yes, he was stellar overall from 2016-2018. But what does that have to do with Bill's decision to not re-sign him after 2019? There was a definite drop from 2017 to 2018 and from 2018 to 2019. I wouldn't call it a cliff, but more like a ravine...

Who said anything about 2019?

I said Brady came off 3 stellar seasons and only received an offer of a one year contract extension at below top money. He took it because it was in summer but clearly, that was the break between the team and him, since by early August his house was for sale.

It is amazing how completely delusional some people are when it comes to protecting their own cognitive dissonance.

Anyone claiming Brady was stellar in 2018 -- even in the KC AFCCG -- should sit through the entire game and then watch some of the masterful **** he was doing in 2016 or 2017.

Hell, just watch the OT of the SB against the Falcons and the OT against the Chiefs. In one of the two he put on a masterclass that never felt in doubt, in the other we got through by the skin of our teeth converting three third & longs.

It's either black or white. Either he is football jesus and everything he has done is stellar or he is just a product of coaching and a system. There is no room for nuance or objectivity.

You are in for a rude awakening if you don't think Brady's 2018 playoff run was stellar.

35 points by halftime against San Diego.

37 points at the most hostile venue in pro football, never mind the fact that it was the AFCCG and it was freezing cold. He was as clutch as can be.

You are in for a rude awakening if you don't think Brady's 2018 playoff run was stellar.

37 points at the most hostile venue in pro football, never mind the fact that it was the AFCCG and it was freezing cold. He was as clutch as can be.
There's some validity to both your arguments. I certainly think Brady's play in 2018 was stellar, but it was still a step below 2014-2017. He was just playing at such a ridiculous level for those four years.

There's some validity to both your arguments. I certainly think Brady's play in 2018 was stellar, but it was still a step below 2014-2017. He was just playing at such a ridiculous level for those four years.

Occam's Razor here. We all saw Brady's split stats when he was with/without Gronkowski. 2018 is easily explained by Gronk's steep decline, especially since there wasn't much to compensate with in the passing game.

2019 is clearly more complicated and possibly explained by Brady's decline, considering Brady was clearly bothered by some kind of injury. Obviously does not help that he was surrounded by dog ****, but this was the only time in his career where was truly punchless and unable to move the ball, regardless of who the other 10 guys are.

I have quickly gotten the impression that Brady & Arians relationship is going to be a fragile one. Those are two big egos and if they struggle and Arians keeps throwing him under the bus, I think Brady might start wishing he never left. Brady did not look old or washed in that game. His arm was good, his accuracy was good. He had his good plays and had an outright terrible one with the pick six. It looked much more like the entire Bucs offense got outplayed.

I've seen Tom have games where he struggles like this. It wasn't only last season it happened here and there. He'll be fine but I can't say the same for the coach and the team as a whole.

I agree with that. I am just looking at the QBs in the rest of the league and projecting outward from there. If the 2018 playoff performance wasn't stellar, then one wonders what can be said about the level of QB play in our future.

How in the world does that home only have 7 bedrooms?

Is the rest of it reserved for an elementary school complete with dorms for the other kids, a medical clinic, and an indoor greenhouse that only grows avocado? Place is a monstrosity. I can see why Jeter is selling it. But who would want it?

Sigh, we have been through this dozens of times..

The 2018 team in the playoffs was primarily carried by the running game and then its defense. Brady was one of the many contributors to the success but far away from stellar. For stellar go to 2016 and 2017.

The final two drives of the AFCCG is where he elevated himself from having an average game into good game territory. But that doesn't change the two picks he had which would have been three if Dee Ford hadn't lined up offside. Without the defense shutting a historic offense -- top 10 DVOA all time -- out for an entire half and the run game controlling the clock at a ratio of 2:1 this game would have ended with KC going to the SB.

Being clutch at the end doesn't magically make up for the 55min that came before that. Being clutch also doesn't translate automatically into a stellar performance. The star of the 2018 playoffs was the team and not any single of its players.

I wish that it was possible to like both Tom and BB and to not have an agenda based on proving that I was right in some old internet argument I had.

Everyone still love BB and Tom. In the end, it is just a coping mechanism by pats fan against Brady departure. Some here, try to find something that tells us that the decision to let Brady leave was the right one. They can’t root for Tom in Tampa just because if he plays well that would mean that he could’ve still been here playing well for the pats. That’s all it is. It easier for them to convince themselves that he sucks. And opposite to that, they are 100% with BB because it reassure them that it means the Patriots can still be good and in contention. Because if they’re not, they are afraid that the pats will become the jets. That’s basically all it is.

BB and Brady are both responsible for the last twenty years. Some here have accepted the fact that he left and wants to enjoy seeing him play while he still can.

Last edited:
Brady definitely doesnt suck, but I dont think its much of a hot take to say that a 43 year old QB is not going to look like his 39 year old self or even 40 year old self. especially in a new offense with brand new players. It begs the question if Bills switch to more of a running team in 2018 was due to the personnel, or bill believing brady lost a step and while a very good player cant carry the team on his arm 100% of the time.

I hope he does well this year. Honestly im at peace with the breakup since I think brady with the current pats roster would be more of the same old. Cam is perfect for what Bill wants to do running the ball. And likewise we will see how brady fares with better offensive weapons than edelman/harry

Everyone still love BB and Tom. In the end, it is just a coping mechanism by pats fan against Brady departure. Some here, try to find something that tells us that the decision to let Brady leave was the right one. They can’t root for Tom in Tampa just because if he plays well that would mean that he could’ve still been here playing well for the pats. That’s all it is. It easier for them to convince themselves that he sucks. And opposite to that, they are 100% with BB because it reassure them that it means the Patriots can still be good and in contention. Because if they’re not, they are afraid that the pats will become the jets. That’s basically all it is.

BB and Brady are both responsible for the last twenty years. Some here have accepted the fact that he left and wants to enjoy seeing him play while he still can.

yeah, I see it on both sides. Its okay to enjoy what the patriots are now with cam, and still want to see brady do well. I think it was just a change in philosophy in how those two want to play that really lead to the breakup. and you can see it from the team construction...

Bill wants the QB to be a game manager basically winning on the running game/defense and grinding out 20-11 wins...and Brady wants to do more than essentially be a game manager and rightfully so wants to show he can still sling it if he has better weapons.

Chris Godwin on concussion protocol. That hurts.

Lots of drama in Tampa. Arians called out Brady and he singled out Gronk for his blocking.

Sigh, we have been through this dozens of times..

The 2018 team in the playoffs was primarily carried by the running game and then its defense. Brady was one of the many contributors to the success but far away from stellar. For stellar go to 2016 and 2017.

The final two drives of the AFCCG is where he elevated himself from having an average game into good game territory. But that doesn't change the two picks he had which would have been three if Dee Ford hadn't lined up offside. Without the defense shutting a historic offense -- top 10 DVOA all time -- out for an entire half and the run game controlling the clock at a ratio of 2:1 this game would have ended with KC going to the SB.

Being clutch at the end doesn't magically make up for the 55min that came before that. Being clutch also doesn't translate automatically into a stellar performance. The star of the 2018 playoffs was the team and not any single of its players.

I've said it a number of times. I've put up the stats. 350 yards. 75% completion %. 35 points by halftime. If you think that's on the back of a vaunted running game, I question what you think you're even looking at. No other QB in football wins that game in KC.

Average game in the AFCCG? No, great game. Do you know how insanely hard it is for a QB to do well there? The Patriots jumped on their necks and then throttled down--only to watch the defense come apart. But when they throttled up again, it was Brady leading it.

I consider that KC game one of Brady's best and most memorable performances.

The joy some of you guys are having celebrating the eventual career end of the greatest quarterback the league has ever known....that did it on our team over 20 years is shameful. 20 years! Its not even sad for you. Instead you laugh at any mistake he makes and can't wait for the next one. Such hollow and selfish "fans" you were. I can't take any of your cheering for the Pats seriously now. Next week or next year you'll turn on whomever isn't entertaining you sufficiently anymore. How hollow.
I'm a fan of the New England Patriots. Not Tom Brady (especially after he showed his true, whiny colors last year). Once a player leaves he's dead to me. There's no conflict at all between cheering for NE and wanting to see non-NE teams lose.

In any case, it's certainly better than the so-called NE fans who want to see NE lose, TB win the SB, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots