PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2020 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they need Godwin since you can't rely on AB. Let's say AB gets himself suspended again (a reasonable possibility) - then they're just left with Evans in terms of top tier weapons. Don't know how much Tate has left in him as he's at the age that receivers tend to drop off. That means if Evans gets taken away (either though a bad match-up or through scheme), offense can be in a situation where they can't move the ball.

Godwin would be my number 1 priority if I'm Tampa, followed closely by David.

Absurd to have Godwin over David absolutely absurd

David is our Hightower. We saw how it went w/o him. He's top priority, plus I believe he'll accept something slightly below market value to stay and play for another ring.

Miler
I think they need Godwin since you can't rely on AB. Let's say AB gets himself suspended again (a reasonable possibility) - then they're just left with Evans in terms of top tier weapons. Don't know how much Tate has left in him as he's at the age that receivers tend to drop off. That means if Evans gets taken away (either though a bad match-up or through scheme), offense can be in a situation where they can't move the ball.

Godwin would be my number 1 priority if I'm Tampa, followed closely by David.
Me too. Godwin is special and he is 24. I think they got both done. Barrett is probably odd man out.

Why, when there are good linebacker substitute options available in FA?

Why do you continue to undervalue Godwin, both in this year's market and specifically with the Bucs?

Why do you continue to undervalue Godwin, both in this year's market and specifically with the Bucs?
There are plethora of talented WRs in FA this year. As talented as Godwin is he isn't worth 17+mil a year.

Shaq Barrett isn't worth 20+mil either.

There are plethora of talented WRs in FA this year. As talented as Godwin is he isn't worth 17+mil a year.

Here's the top FA WRs. Nice list:

20210305_142544.jpg

Here's the top FA DEs. Nice list. Notice how both Barrett and Godwin are at the top of these lists. So is Lavonte David.

20210221_111455.jpg

I think brady will have a say in these free agent moves and godwin is one of those guys he likely wants back. Tagging him will be 16.4 which is not bad. He’s versatile. I still feel like barrett will be the odd man out. Some team will give him millions thinking he’s an elite pass rusher.

Top LB FAs. Again, Bucs FA at top of the list.

20210305_152913.jpg

I find it highly amusing when people ignore Godwin's actual role with the Bucs this past season, and just blythely assume that acceptable substitutes are just lying around the ground like rocks on a New Hampshire mountainside. They ignore that, even with the addition of AB, Godwin caught passes on an 87 reception pace. So let me try to translate Godwin to the Patriots, again, in the hopes of it becoming more clear:

Evans is Moss
Godwin is Welker

And it's not about actual "worth". Almost without exception, neither the franchise tag nor day one free agency is about actual "worth". If AB could be counted on for all of 2021, the equation would be different, but you cannot have AB as a required, top 2 WR, piece on your team. He has to be a bonus player.

So you need a Welker to replace the Bucs' Welker (Godwin), and there sure as hell are not a plethora of them available in FA this year.

Edit: I forgot to note the following, but it's a big part of the point:

Chris Godwin first downs:
2018: 48
2019: 63 (in 14 games)
2020: 43 (on pace for 57 in a full season)

Last edited:
Top LB FAs. Again, Bucs FA at top of the list...

Yeah, and slotting top players via importance to a team PLUS difficulty of replacement via a specific FA class, or a specific draft class, is not meant to serve as a slap to the lower slotted top players.

Here's a comparison of Davis, Samuel, & Godwin. Samuel caught passes from Bridgewater & Davis from Tannehill. They both seem comparable to Godwin and should improve with the GOAT. I have no idea what their market value is.

20210305_154505.jpg
20210305_154444.jpg

Going from Godwin to Tate would be such a downgrade.

I find it highly amusing when people ignore Godwin's actual role with the Bucs this past season, and just blythely assume that acceptable substitutes are just lying around the ground like rocks on a New Hampshire mountainside. They ignore that, even with the addition of AB, Godwin caught passes on an 87 reception pace. So let me try to translate Godwin to the Patriots, again, in the hopes of it becoming more clear:

Evans is Moss
Godwin is Welker

And it's not about actual "worth". Almost without exception, neither the franchise tag nor day one free agency is about actual "worth". If AB could be counted on for all of 2021, the equation would be different, but you cannot have AB as a required, top 2 WR, piece on your team. He has to be a bonus player.

So you need a Welker to replace the Bucs' Welker (Godwin), and there sure as hell are not a plethora of them available in FA this year.

Edit: I forgot to note the following, but it's a big part of the point:

Chris Godwin first downs:
2018: 48
2019: 63 (in 14 games)
2020: 43 (on pace for 57 in a full season)
Not ignoring his value. I wanted Brady to go to the Bucs specifically to see him play with Evans and Godwin.

Keeping David is priority #1 because it allows Devin White to be a playmaker and rush more often.

If they can find a way to keep Godwin then they should, but there have been rumors that OBJ is on his way out of Cleveland and for some reason he loves Brady.

Currently OBJ is ave 14.5mil a year for the next 3 years. If they could get him for a 3rd rounder as opposed to paying Godwin 17+mil a year, then OBJ is the more attractive option.

It comes down to if Godwin takes a team friendly deal or not. I fully expect him to get the franchise tag or be signed long term anyways so it's a moot point.

David is our Hightower. We saw how it went w/o him. He's top priority, plus I believe he'll accept something slightly below market value to stay and play for another ring.

exactly! And unlike Godwin they don’t have a future hall of fame player who’d play for 1/3 the cost of David like they do in AB

Going from Godwin to Tate would be such a downgrade.

They'd be going from Godwin to AB which is a wash, Tate’s just there cause people think AB will get suspended or something

There’s a lot more WR’s out there than linebackers, David let’s white do what he does and is phenomenal in pass coverage. Godwin isn’t even there WR1 I don’t get the hype of paying him and losing David. Instead of giving Godwin 16 mill you can give AB 4mill, Succop 3.5 mill, Gronk 5 mill, and Suh 5mill. But no let’s tag our WR2 just isn’t smart

Not ignoring his value. I wanted Brady to go to the Bucs specifically to see him play with Evans and Godwin.

Keeping David is priority #1 because it allows Devin White to be a playmaker and rush more often.

If they can find a way to keep Godwin then they should, but there have been rumors that OBJ is on his way out of Cleveland and for some reason he loves Brady.

Currently OBJ is ave 14.5mil a year for the next 3 years. If they could get him for a 3rd rounder as opposed to paying Godwin 17+mil a year, then OBJ is the more attractive option.

It comes down to if Godwin takes a team friendly deal or not. I fully expect him to get the franchise tag or be signed long term anyways so it's a moot point.
OBJ doesn't work. OBJ is not a Welker. Now, as a consolation prize, it might be doable. But that's not the same thing.

And OBJ would cost additional resources (you mentioned the 3rd rounder), which would be a needless expenditure of assets since you can keep Godwin with just money. Remember, the cap will be going up next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News