PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2020 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deleted wrong topic

Bill rebuilds a contending team in 3 years and all will be well. No reason to expect any less.

Pats move on with a new GM and HC if he fails.
Yeah, but I don’t think Kraft would fire him. I think Bill would be more likely to retire. But I don’t see him failing. Not with the golden opportunity he has in front of him.

Yeah, but I don’t think Kraft would fire him. I think Bill would be more likely to retire. But I don’t see him failing. Not with the golden opportunity he has in front of him.
Yeah I don’t think they’ll fire him necessarily but I can see him ending things like Coughlin did with another position in the org.

He’s got plenty of motivation to successfully rebuild that’s for sure.

Plus, watching brady go to the super bowl and watching himself get raked through the coals has to motivate him to build a competitive team

Does anyone think if Bill offered brady a 2 year contract this offseason brady stays? To throw to Nkeal harry and meyers?

I do. He wasn't offered a 2 year contract in 2018 either. That's when he made the decision to start looking elsewhere. Once a player starts considering other options, one foot is already out the door. Brady would still be a Patriot were it not for the contract offer after the Rams Super Bowl.

33-11 in the playoffs now. 10 Conference Championships in 19 years as a starter. Very happy for him.

The guy in KC could make a challenge because of how the weak the AFC might be the next couple of years unless you have a QB to challenge mahomey.

And that was the guy who actually wanted to be with the Patriots. Could be still. Should be still. The one that did everything but wear a sandwich board asking the team to sign him through the end of his career. The guy who banged his head against the wall and worried himself sick about what he’d do if he couldn’t play here.

That’s the guy Bill Belichick didn’t want to go all-in with contractually and pay him near the going rate for a good quarterback. While we all looked at Brady for the last half-decade and said, “More, please?” Belichick was looking at him and saying, “Enough already.”
And where’d that get him and his team? After jerking Brady around in the summers of 2018 and 2019, Brady finally picked St. Patrick’s Day to tell the Patriots he was done here. Which was fine with Belichick. Enough “selling out” and getting in cap hell.

Bring on Jarrett Stidham, Cam Newton and the worst quarterback play in the league.

Bring on a scenario in which you may have to give up a pick and a player to get Matthew Stafford for just about the same money you would have been paying Tom Brady. If you’re lucky. If Matthew Stafford thinks New England’s the right place for him and the Patriots can sweeten the pot for Detroit enough.

And we all know that, when Tom Brady is 45 he’ll still be better than Matt Stafford, Glass Jimmy, Newton, Stidham and every single guy that gets drafted this year except maybe Trevor Lawrence.

When you think about it, the Patriots really had to work to get this far on the wrong side of history.

They had to misjudge the arc of Brady’s career even though he was standing right in front of them for two decades. They had to live in a world where any more than $22M against the cap for Brady was a non-starter, even though they spent half of 2017 noodling ways to lasso Garoppolo on the team while Brady was still here. They had to decide that any indications of Brady developing self-awareness were threats to the team that needed to be nipped in the bud or demonized. They had to marginalize his contributions, make him out to be a prima donna and rebuff his requests for input.

All so they could get him gone and start the reboot.
I agree with most of your post with Bill's treatment of Brady. But one thing is missing from your narrative: if Brady gets signed for more cash -- i.e. what he's worth -- then the team's talent struggles only get worse.

We've been reloading and "selling out" (as you put it) for so long, there just wasn't much left of being a top tier club since we were in dire need of an organic rebuild through the draft and freeing up of cap space. At the end of this season, we have what is best described as a bottom five roster. With Brady on the team, I can't see the roster being anything but worse at this point.

Bill did not treat Brady the best. But Brady was also growing very agitated for years at a lack of explosive talent. And beyond bad drafting, our success doomed us to not having the salary cap space to pursue the types of weapons Brady now has in Tampa.

For all the people surprised by Tampa's run, I'm honestly confused. Brady exited a team with minimal talent and fell into a roster with an all star cast. Of course Brady had a turnaround. The question is, if Brady plays for three more seasons, will Tampa also get ravaged by the salary cap to the degree Brady starts to get fed up?

All in all, both sides got what they wanted: Bill got to retool a roster he didn't believe could win with Brady anymore and Brady got a chance to win more championships with a talented roster. Maybe everyone won, in the end.

Fisher being out is massive. The Bucs could already pressure them with 4-5 rushers and get home (or at least move Mahomes off his spot). Fisher being out makes that a lot easier.

Seemed like the Bakhtiari loss was the difference today.

It's going to be tough to beat KC because I don't think Bowles is going to change how he covers Hill and Kelce. You need some FGs and pray for a few punts. The drops on offense have to stop and I'm not too fond of the long shots on 3rd down from mid field. I know it's like a punt but can't they run something in between? AB needs to come back.

I agree with most of your post with Bill's treatment of Brady. But one thing is missing from your narrative: if Brady gets signed for more cash -- i.e. what he's worth -- then the team's talent struggles only get worse.

We've been reloading and "selling out" (as you put it) for so long, there just wasn't much left of being a top tier club since we were in dire need of an organic rebuild through the draft and freeing up of cap space. At the end of this season, we have what is best described as a bottom five roster. With Brady on the team, I can't see the roster being anything but worse at this point.

Bill did not treat Brady the best. But Brady was also growing very agitated for years at a lack of explosive talent. And beyond bad drafting, our success doomed us to not having the salary cap space to pursue the types of weapons Brady now has in Tampa.

For all the people surprised by Tampa's run, I'm honestly confused. Brady exited a team with minimal talent and fell into a roster with an all star cast. Of course Brady had a turnaround. The question is, if Brady plays for three more seasons rather than hanging it up soon, then will Tampa also get ravaged by the salary cap to the point Brady starts to get fed up again?
I'm getting tired of this nonsense. Brady didn't want money he wanted years and he didn't join an all star team either.

Tampa will sell out for another two years and have a cap reset year in 2023. Brady will retire in 2023. So maybe 3 tries at a championship. Even if they win it has to be a success.

I think this could turn out to be the new model. Stud Quarterbacks signing 3-5 year deals and going to the most loaded team to make hay.. after couple of seasons mahomes best chance to win superbowl would be on some other team which had a 3 season dumpster fire season and a great GM ..

It's going to be tough to beat KC because I don't think Bowles is going to change how he covers Hill and Kelce. You need some FGs and pray for a few punts. The drops on offense have to stop and I'm not too fond of the long shots on 3rd down from mid field. I know it's like a punt but can't they run something in between? AB needs to come back.

Really? They played zone in that first zone. This Bucs defense is playing more man now. If they don’t spot them 17 points in the first quarter it will be a good game. They got a chance to beat KC. Brady won’t be intimate like allen was. Also they have more than one weapon unlike buffalo.

Really? They played zone in that first zone. This Bucs defense is playing more man now. If they don’t spot them 17 points in the first quarter it will be a good game. They got a chance to beat KC. Brady won’t be intimate like allen was. Also they have more than one weapon unlike buffalo.
You want to play man against Hill? I do believe they can win but we shall see.

Skip Bayless might be one of the biggest brady fans judging by his twitter and he’s right hearing about how for two weeks we will hear about mahomes being the goat when it’s all said and done.

And that was the guy who actually wanted to be with the Patriots. Could be still. Should be still. The one that did everything but wear a sandwich board asking the team to sign him through the end of his career. The guy who banged his head against the wall and worried himself sick about what he’d do if he couldn’t play here.

That’s the guy Bill Belichick didn’t want to go all-in with contractually and pay him near the going rate for a good quarterback. While we all looked at Brady for the last half-decade and said, “More, please?” Belichick was looking at him and saying, “Enough already.”
And where’d that get him and his team? After jerking Brady around in the summers of 2018 and 2019, Brady finally picked St. Patrick’s Day to tell the Patriots he was done here. Which was fine with Belichick. Enough “selling out” and getting in cap hell.

Bring on Jarrett Stidham, Cam Newton and the worst quarterback play in the league.

Bring on a scenario in which you may have to give up a pick and a player to get Matthew Stafford for just about the same money you would have been paying Tom Brady. If you’re lucky. If Matthew Stafford thinks New England’s the right place for him and the Patriots can sweeten the pot for Detroit enough.

And we all know that, when Tom Brady is 45 he’ll still be better than Matt Stafford, Glass Jimmy, Newton, Stidham and every single guy that gets drafted this year except maybe Trevor Lawrence.

When you think about it, the Patriots really had to work to get this far on the wrong side of history.

They had to misjudge the arc of Brady’s career even though he was standing right in front of them for two decades. They had to live in a world where any more than $22M against the cap for Brady was a non-starter, even though they spent half of 2017 noodling ways to lasso Garoppolo on the team while Brady was still here. They had to decide that any indications of Brady developing self-awareness were threats to the team that needed to be nipped in the bud or demonized. They had to marginalize his contributions, make him out to be a prima donna and rebuff his requests for input.

All so they could get him gone and start the reboot.
Yep. Bill bungled the end of the Brady era in New England and no matter what Bill’s lawyers on here say I’ll never forgive him for killing the dynasty before it had to die.

Fisher being out is massive. The Bucs could already pressure them with 4-5 rushers and get home (or at least move Mahomes off his spot). Fisher being out makes that a lot easier.
Vea didnt play last game vs kc either. Today in the limited snaps he had, he freed up the lanes for JPP and Barrett

Bump him off his route. The bills just let him get a free release. It’s ridiculous.
If you play right on him he'll beat you everytime. It was very painful watching them play 10 yards off though because there's 0 for Mahomes to think about. It also seems like KC runs some very specific plays over and over and over again. What Kelce did underneath was criminal. BB probably screaming at the TV watching how people play them. We had the secondary to beat that team for **** sakes!! Had to let Brady walk. Couldn't rebuild the offense and give him a few years!!!!!!!! Anyways.

Scotty Miller had that great TD catch, but Antonio Brown makes such a huge difference,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back