PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2020 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe Brady and co will pull this out some how. Think about it: new team, new system, new everything but already in final four teams. There’s one thing. I don’t like arians, ever since they wouldn’t let him coach my second string bowling league, I don’t trust him. No risk it no buiscuit is a stupid saying. Throwing the ball fifty yards every down is two dimensional thinking and asinine

I think the 2000 Ravens have the record for run defense at 2.7 ypc for context. For as good as the Packers offense is it isn’t a straight dropback pass 40+ times a game offense.

I think the 2000 Ravens have the record for run defense at 2.7 ypc for context. For as good as the Packers offense is it isn’t a straight dropback pass 40+ times a game offense.

The thing with Vea is he can also push the pocket on pass plays like Wilfork used to do except Vea actually gets sacks too. He is an all around beast.

Can Packers’ Defensive Coordinator Mike Pettine Finally Get The Best Of Tom Brady?​

Rob Reischel

Mike Pettine is certainly not alone.

Pettine, the Green Bay Packers’ defensive coordinator, has held that same position with the New York Jets and Buffalo Bills.
In that time, Pettine’s defenses have run into quarterback Tom Brady 13 times. Like most of his peers, Pettine has had very few answers for Brady — who’s widely considered the greatest quarterback to ever play.
In their 13 encounters, Brady is 10-3 against Pettine and has won last eight meetings. Pettine’s last win over Brady came on Jan. 16, 2011 — more than a decade ago — in the AFC Divisional Playoffs.

Brady has thrown 24 touchdowns against Pettine’s defenses, seven interceptions and his teams have averaged 30.1 points per game.
Pettine and the Packers will hope for better results on Sunday when Green Bay hosts Brady’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the NFC Championship Game.

“It’s as big a challenge as you’ll face as a coordinator, as a defensive staff,” Pettine said Thursday. “He doesn’t miss anything, and that’s the thing. If you have an area of weakness, whether it was in New England or now at Tampa Bay, they will exploit it and continue to exploit it until you make a correction and force them out of it. So it’s a huge challenge.

“It’s pretty clear and obvious he’s going to go down as one of the best of all time, and it’s, for me, I just love it because it’s a great challenge for our guys. That, ‘Hey, to go to the Super Bowl, we have to beat Tom Brady.’ I think our guys are excited for the challenge, but we’ve made sure we’ve stressed it all week, knowing what they’re in for.”

Brady spent the first 20 years of his Hall of Fame career in New England, and 12 of his meetings against Pettine came when he was a Patriot. The 13th came in Oct., 2020, when Brady and the Buccaneers routed Green Bay, 38-10.

Pettine was the Jets’ defensive coordinator from 2009-12 and faced Brady nine times there, including once in the playoffs. Pettine collided with Brady twice in 2013 when he was Buffalo’s defensive coordinator, then squared off with him in both 2018 and 2020 while in Green Bay.
Pettine had a top-10 defense all four years he was with the Jets, his one year in Buffalo and this season in Green Bay. Still, Brady has gotten the better of Pettine’s groups time and time again.

“You don’t let it consume you,” Pettine said. “This isn’t, I mean, the scheme is important, but the National Football League is still a players’ league, and that’s why just the emphasis on putting our guys in the best position to succeed, the best position to take away what they do, and go out and execute.

“We’ve played some good defense this year, and that’s gotten us here, and there’s no sense straying away from that. We’re re going to be who we are. We’re going to throw our fastball. But our guys understand that we have to, we’re not going to fool him, but at the same time, we can out-execute him.”

In 2009-10, Pettine’s defenses with the Jets held their own, and New York went 3-2 against Brady’s Patriots. In 2010, the Jets went 2-1 against Brady, including a win in the postseason.

Brady threw nine touchdowns, four interceptions and had an 89.2 quarterback rating in those five games. The Patriots also averaged just 24.0 points per game in those contests.

Brady has won eight straight, though, against Pettine. In those meetings, he’s thrown 15 touchdown passes, three interceptions and has a 99.5 passer rating.

Brady’s teams have also averaged 33.9 points against Pettine’s defenses in their last eight meetings.
“He’s seen everything. He’s been in the league for so long that he’s seen everything,” Packers safety Adrian Amos said of Brady. “He’s been in all these situations. So, it’s just a guy that you know is going to be calm and you know is going to have answers for the majority of stuff you want to do. So we have to be assigned to our details and not make it easy to him.”

What must be leading to sleepless nights for Green Bay’s defensive staff is that Brady is also the most accomplished postseason performer in NFL history.

Brady has a 32-11 record in the playoffs, a remarkable winning percentage of .744. Joe Montana ranks second in playoff wins among quarterbacks with 16, exactly half of Brady’s total.

Brady is getting set to play in his 14th conference title game. Montana again ranks second with seven.
Brady has played in nine Super Bowls, easily outdistancing runner-up John Elway (five). Brady has won six Super Bowls, well ahead of runners-up Terry Bradshaw and Montana (four).

And Brady has engineered 13 postseason game-winning drives. Amazingly, only six other quarterbacks have that many playoff wins.
“He’s seen it all, done it all, been in every situation,” Packers nose tackle Kenny Clark said of Brady. “We’ve got to just cause havoc inside and outside and get him off his spot and when we get a chance to hit him, hit him and do our job.”
The good news for Green Bay’s defense is they’ve done their job extremely well down the stretch.

Over the last six games, Green Bay is allowing just 17.3 points per game. In that time, the Packers have as many interceptions (four) as touchdown passes allowed, and opposing quarterbacks have a combined passer rating of just 78.0.
But Green Bay did much of that damage against quarterbacks like Mitch Trubisky, Teddy Bridgewater and an injured Jared Goff. The Packers know
things will be far most difficult when the GOAT comes to Lambeau Field Sunday.

“That’s everything you dream of playing here at Lambeau, having thousands of fans there cheering you on, trying to get to the Super Bowl and the guy you’ve got to beat is Tom Brady,” Clark said. “That’s everything you dream about.”

Unless Brady makes it a nightmare.

Some random Tampa thoughts on Tampa's D.

The defense in the playoffs has been pretty damn good. On the surface it doesn't look as great in some ways, but it really has been sensational and the best defense in these playoffs. Some people might point out they gave up 23 to Washington which was a badly rated offense, but I don't see it that way. Washington has a pretty damn good #1 WR, they have a decent OL and a decent RB tandem who together got nearly 1200 yards at around 4.5 YPA. The only reason they weren't a better team was QB play. That was the hole on their team. Then in walks Heinicke and he absolutely lights it up. I checked out parts of that game again recently, and came to the conclusion that no only did Heinicke play well, he played great. I would argue in that one game, he was near all pro level. People will talk down his performance and admonish the Bucs D, but the Bucs D played well.

They got pressure, they got him off his spot, the coverage windows were generally tight. It was just Heinicke making play after play. We need to remember that in any one game it is possible for a HOF QB to play like a JAG and JAG to play like a HOF in the NFL. Heinicke played up to that level in that game. He honestly looked a lot like a mix of Rodgers in Mahomes for that 60 minutes and played up to that kind of level. If he could reproduce that game 16 times with this team Washington would have gone 11-5 or 12-4. I would argue on that Sunday that is the quality of team the Bucs beat. It is also why it is so dangerous to play elite D's in the playoffs. You never know if this game is the game where the opposing QB is going to just put it all together for one great game. It just so happens that the Bucs had more talent overall and Brady was able to match. It also helped that Washington's D while good wasn't quite as good as their rankings suggested. Personally considering the quality of opposing QB play and how little time they had to prepare for his style, this was in my mind a B+ defensive game. It only isn't higher because WFT lacks pass catching weapon's after their #1 WR.

As for the Saints game, half of their 20 points came down to a kickoff return that put them in FG range, which the Bucs held off. And a trick play which caught them by surprise. Besides that they only allowed 10 points. Now you could argue Brees has nothing left, and I would say that is unfair. Brees has pretty much looked like he did that last game for the last game for at least the last half of the season and on and off the past 3 years. It wasn't like Brees suddenly fell off a cliff that day. This is who he was, and the Saints made it work due to having fantastic weapons, a good OL and QB who could place the ball well with a solid scheme behind it. If this was so easy to do the Saints, why did no other team do it this year till the Bucs? The answer is that it isn't that easy. You could argue the Bears did something similar, but not really. The Saints only truly had 8 drives in which they were looking to score and one had a missed FG and the other had a fumble that wasn't on Brees. In the Bucs game the Saints were looking to score on 10 drives and were gifted an easy 3 off the bat that the Bucs did well not to turn into 7, and they had to pull out their ace in the hole trick to play to get another 7. But the Bucs should have been more disciplined. I would say it is more like the Bucs D held this same offense half those points on more drives while generating turnovers. I feel like people are shrugging it off like 'of course they could do that, Brees sucks!' when no other team this year has made Brees and that offense look so bad. Literally it was their lowest point total of the year and the Bucs STs spotted them 3.

When you look at how this D has played in these playoff how can you not feel confident in their ability to in some way limit GB? Not stop, but give their offense a good chance to out score them. Here is a hot take and I will stand by it. Heinicke and the way he played has helped prepare them for Rodgers and he played about as well as Rodgers will this Sunday, probably better. That isn't an insult to Rodgers, it is facing the reality of how good Heinicke was THAT ONE GAME. I think this D has played really sensational these playoffs and they are going to somehow surprise people when they aren't blown off the field on Sunday. by 35 points.

The Bucs are definitely better at stopping the run (1st vs 14th). At the same time, the Packers have the better pass D (7th vs 21st).

On offense, the Bucs are the better passing team (4th vs 11th), while the Packers are the better running team (8th vs 28th).

Haha wtf why would that matter there prior QB that started couldn’t even beat out Tayaok Hill when Brees went down. This is the most useless stat of all time might as well find a bucs/Packer stat from the farve era.

Atleast for this one you can say 0-2 prior points to Peyton out coaching ariens. But the stat his said was meaningless
que? can you please rewrite this in English?

of course its relevant in conversation. it shows warm weather teams under performs the average in GB. I didnt say that it implies a specific outcome.

Yup. I don't know how anyone says Mahomes doesn't have a better offense. Hill is better than any WR Brady has, Kelce is the best TE right now and one of the best ever, Watkins is as good or better than any number 2 and EH is in the same ballpark as any RB on the Bucs. Hardman is one of the best number 3's in the league.

Then if you want to talk about Rodgers, he has far and away the best offensive line in the league that it's not even comparable. Adams is as good or better a receiver than anyone on the Bucs and Rodgers has/had two all pro lineman. And as you said, Jones is in the same ballpark of RB as Brady's feature back and the Chiefs.

They all have stacked offenses. Difference here is Brady played one of the best defenses in the NFL last night on the 2nd seed in the NFC so obviously he's not going to put up monster numbers. He made the big plays when he needed to and got the drives he needed to on the road against a great defensive team that quite frankly was the worst matchup possible for them in the playoffs. Brady will not face a better defense the rest of the playoffs.

Going straight in order of top to bottom targets

Hill > Evans
Kelce > Godwin
Watkins < AB
Hardman < Gronk
Robinson < Miller
CEH > Jones or Fournette

Overall TB has more depth pieces but the top end guys go to KC. Generally having the better 1, 2 and RB is more important than having the better 3 4 and 5. I'd take KC weapons over the TB. However, KC does have a better line, though how bad the KC line is has been massively over stated IMO. It isn't bad at all. I consider it above average.

of course its relevant in conversation. it shows warm weather teams under performs the average in GB. I didnt say that it implies a specific outcome.

He has trouble with the English language. I have no idea if "Tayoak Hill" means "Taysom Hill" or "Tyreek Hill" lol. I'm guessing it's Taysom.

I gladly admit I may have missed something, but I do not see where is demonstrates that. It says "Of the 108 freezing games played at Lambeau, the Packers are 78-29-2, winning 72% of the time (and 74% if we subtract the ties)."

In order to really understand whether or not the cold is a factor, we need to see GB's overall home record during the same time period, and I do not see that stat anywhere in the article. Considering how successful of a franchise they are, I would bet their overall home winning percentage is probably somewhere in the 70% range.

If Arians is smart, he'll pound Fournette and Jones next week. When the Packers have given up 140+ yards on the ground they are 1-3 and 1 of those 3 losses was the Bucs. The 1 win was against the Titans trash defense....

A bit misleading. The Bucs got a fair amount of those yards at the end. They did okay running the ball but their YPA weren't very good. They won due to their defense, jumping on mistakes and by passing with a few effective runs thrown in to get ahead.

In the Vikings game Cook did kind of ran them over, but their passing game was incredible efficient and their D made the stops it needed to in the 2nd half. It also shortened the game a bit to cover for their D. If they are trying to do what you're talking about then this is exactly the game they should take notes on. A mix of effective running with occasional big passes and solid D.

As for Indy they ran a lot but it really didn't help them. Probably hurt them. Running a bunch at 3.8 yards a clip isn't how you win games. It was Rivers, turnovers, defense clamping down in the 2nd half and some timely plays that did it.

I'm not saying an effective running game isn't helpful, but unless you routinely get over 5 YPC it isn't a well you want to go back to over and over again. In my mind that is the magic number. Once you start to clock in at 5.1 or 5.2 now it is a serious weapon. And I don't mean getting 1 big run that puts you over that mark a game. I mean being able to hit it without the need for a 50 yard run or something.

Last edited:
TB’s defense was never as bad as they were made to be. I’d take theirs over ours for sure.

When Brady hasn’t thrown 2+ interceptions, they are 13-1. The only loss was a flukey game to the Bears, and the defense still only allowed 20 points.

There isn’t a single game where the offense has played adequately and they’ve still lost.

I always find it funny when people think that every player on the Bucs is a born and bred Floridian. A large number of them are from Northern states and/or played football in snowy cities in college or the NFL. Snow is not going to be the reason why any team wins or loses. Wind/rain...sure. The “low” temperature? Not a chance.
How do you explain that warm weather/dome teams do not have a successful record in playing at cold weather venues, specifically Lambeau Field? I understand the concept that the better team/home team has an advantage, but in this case, you very rarely, if ever see a warm weather or dome team going into a cold weather site and win. Just something to think about and if the wind picks up and it's cold, that will definitely affect any passing game.

How do you explain that warm weather/dome teams do not have a successful record in playing at cold weather venues, specifically Lambeau Field? I understand the concept that the better team/home team has an advantage, but in this case, you very rarely, if ever see a warm weather or dome team going into a cold weather site and win. Just something to think about and if the wind picks up and it's cold, that will definitely affect any passing game.

I have no inclination to explain a question you answered yourself. The warm weather team is the road team...would you ask why teams on the road tend to win less than the home team? If you can find a trend that it’s only the cold weather and literally nothing else that contributes to this overused and completely misunderstood stat, maybe there’d be a need for discussion. Also, you mentioned the wind - I already stated that would be the only weather phenomenon in this game that would matter. Lambeau being 30 degrees at kickoff is not going to be a factor. End of.

He has trouble with the English language. I have no idea if "Tayoak Hill" means "Taysom Hill" or "Tyreek Hill" lol. I'm guessing it's Taysom.
In any language, you're still the forum troll, pendejo.

I gladly admit I may have missed something, but I do not see where is demonstrates that. It says "Of the 108 freezing games played at Lambeau, the Packers are 78-29-2, winning 72% of the time (and 74% if we subtract the ties)."

In order to really understand whether or not the cold is a factor, we need to see GB's overall home record during the same time period, and I do not see that stat anywhere in the article. Considering how successful of a franchise they are, I would bet their overall home winning percentage is probably somewhere in the 70% range.
Fair enough....

as mentioned, I wasn't implying a specific outcome based on the information. I just found it glaring/surprising

in context to the article I posted, I just re-read and will summarize what stood out to me:

----

"With no context

Green Bay's record since 1970 in games at 32 degrees or less at kickoff: 90-49-3. That's a 63% winning percentage overall and 65% if we eliminate ties from the equation.

Most NFL data will tell you that the home team wins 55-60% of its games

Of the 108 freezing games played at Lambeau, the Packers are 78-29-2, winning 72% of the time

Aaron Rodgers - 31-12-1 (72%)

It's hard to classify what makes a "warm weather" team, so we'll classify it this way: A team that hails from a city with an average December or January (based on when the game was played) temperature of greater than 50 degrees.

All told, that's 28-9 vs. warm-weather teams. All but one of those games is at Lambeau Field"

----

Take way is that home teams in cold weather are in the 55%-60% win rate. Home teams in general are about 56% since 2003. Green Bay at home itself is about 69% in that time period (as you stated). Seems like a small advantage against warm weather teams historically

disclaimer: I have money on Tampa

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes