PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2020 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Psst! I am not obsessed with McDaniels. You are. Stop projecting your issues on me.

And talking about delusional. I don't think any of the people who are claiming they see no slippage in Brady's play would argue that this year was one of his four best seasons ever. But of course you want to say that to degrade McDaniels.

In thread after thread, you obsess on McDaniels. Not me. My assessment of Brady which isn't nearly as negative as people want to make it out to be has nothing to McDaniels. I think Leftwich is a much lesser OC than McDaniels that would work in Brady's favor in any evaluation of his play this year. And my statement that Brady has lost a bit on his fast ball has to do with his age, not because he doesn't have McDaniels making him look better.
You narrow the goal posts tighter and tighter to make your point the Brady is on the decline. Every time someone brings up a stat or evidence to the contrary you acknowledge it and turn the vice another turn. He has one of his best seasons ever. He turns a losing team culture into a winning team culture. It's like a guy who always wins Nascar year after year but his car is a quarter mile an hour slower than it was 10 years ago and instead of his continued dominance the headline for you is he's a quarter mile an hour slower. My question is why?

Shannon Sharpe asks the same question I've been asking this for years, "Where has all the money gone"? There have been many years where they were "pressed against the cap", yet had hardly any big contracts, especially with their GOAT QB taking below market deals.

Skip taking shots as he's Team Tom.

I love Brady and what he has done to bring the Bucs to the Championship game has been exceptional. I think his leadership and drive has been as important as his play on the field. Glad he has a chance to play this weekend as it was not going to happen if he stayed.

TB RT Tristan Wirfs deserves much credit for his play. They left him on an island against Cam Jordan on many of the key downs yesterday, and he held up nicely. Excellent young player.

Shannon Sharpe asks the same question I've been asking this for years, "Where has all the money gone"? There have been many years where they were "pressed against the cap", yet had hardly any big contracts, especially with their GOAT QB taking below market deals.

Skip taking shots as he's Team Tom.

Look at Miguel's page, it lists the contracts.

The Patriots have always had a substantial middle class. They are the league leader in middle class contracts.

Thuney, Gilmore and Edelman really counted a lot against the cap. But so did Brady and Antonio Brown. Those 5 players alone were $66m in cap money this year.

Add in a bunch of dead money from Gost, Michael Bennett, Harmon, etc and it adds up. $7m

Not to mention the bigger cap hits from Shaq Mason, lawrence Guy, both McCourtys, Jonathan Jones, Andrews and James White. All these guys are $43m. You're at $116m.

You have another 18 guys who are middle class. These guys don't even exist on other teams. After other teams pay the stars, they dole out sub $1m contracts to the rest. Whereas the Patriots have 18 guys averaging around $2.2 to $2.4m. That's $40m other teams don't even pay.

Loved this clip highlighting Tom’s trust in a rookie and the non-marquee stars on this scoring drive. Turns out if you’re good, you earn trust.

"Who needs Tyler Johnson when Justin Rohrwasser is still available?"

- B. Belichick

@moosekill I thought Brady didn’t throw to rookies?
Brady doesn't throw to rookies if they don't know where to go or if they just plain suck.

Last edited:
Bill O'Brien left the Pats in 2011. I am talking around 2014. You know after Trent Dilfer's famous quote of "They just aren't good anymore".

Yes, I know you wrote 2014. But I'm saying Brady was excellent in the 2010-2014 period. If he was taking time off, it sure didn't show in his play. I thought Brady was at the sharpest point in his career in these years, throwing to Welker, Gronk, Hernandez and 3rd receivers like Brandon Lloyd and the like. The defense let us down a lot in these years.

Remember the "fluttering passes" BS?

“Fluttering passes” along with all the film breakdown showing that guys “were open”. Then the “can’t step up in the pocket anymore” talk.

Last night, on the first pass of the game Brady fired a 15 yard laser between two defenders and hit Brate right on the hands (he dropped it.) Anyone who sees a decline is engaging in some hardcore confirmation bias.

Look at Miguel's page, it lists the contracts.

The Patriots have always had a substantial middle class. They are the league leader in middle class contracts.

Thuney, Gilmore and Edelman really counted a lot against the cap. But so did Brady and Antonio Brown. Those 5 players alone were $66m in cap money this year.

Add in a bunch of dead money from Gost, Michael Bennett, Harmon, etc and it adds up. $7m

Not to mention the bigger cap hits from Shaq Mason, lawrence Guy, both McCourtys, Jonathan Jones, Andrews and James White. All these guys are $43m. You're at $116m.

You have another 18 guys who are middle class. These guys don't even exist on other teams. After other teams pay the stars, they dole out sub $1m contracts to the rest. Whereas the Patriots have 18 guys averaging around $2.2 to $2.4m. That's $40m other teams don't even pay.
I had a feeling that was going to be the answer.

“Fluttering passes” along with all the film breakdown showing that guys “were open”. Then the “can’t step up in the pocket anymore” talk.

Last night, on the first pass of the game Brady fired a 15 yard laser between two defenders and hit Brate right on the hands (he dropped it.) Anyone who sees a decline is engaging in some hardcore confirmation bias.

My favorite metric ever used to describe "Brady's decline" was "Athletic Processing". Haha

A few thoughts:

1.) It's a goddamn shame that so many people are unable to root for/support Brady in Tampa and simultaneously acknowledge/appreciate Belichick as a football coach (including Arians, that tool). This binary, either-or mentality that lives here (and seemingly everywhere on the internet) is a blight on society. If you're incapable of supporting Brady without trashing Belichick (or vice versa), you're a small-minded person.

2.) That Bucs' team is much easier to root for when Antonio Brown is nowhere near them.

3.) I finally found myself warming to the idea of rooting for Brady in a Bucs' uniform when watching him last night because he's just *that* good of a guy. A tremendous leader, teammate, competitor, player, and seemingly completely genuine; the Tom we've always known. When Brown left the game I really started to get behind Tampa.

What then makes it hard to continue rooting for them is the day following, reading mind-numbing crap on this forum where the vocal majority (both posters here, and the Boston media) are slamming Belichick and refusing to see the Brady-Belichick relationship as symbiotic, but rather binary. Not only that, but then Arians has to trickle out his bullsh*t, which likely came from Brady himself.

And then I sit here and find it much harder to continue rooting for that team.

Tom is a tremendous person and football player but all the politics/gossip/sniping associated with this whole situation is extremely off-putting.

Perhaps I should just watch the games and entirely avoid consuming any media related to Brady/the Patriots, save myself the trouble, and just observe and appreciate what happens on the field.

This will all be made right whenever the day comes that Brady signs with New England once again and retires from the NFL a Patriot. Him and Belichick can resume the pleasantries, reminisce about the good old days, express mutual appreciation for each other, and put an end to all the nonsense, toxic, malignant chatter/gossip/rumors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back