PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: NY Times Sports Desk Shuttering

lZC-8SgF-s7fR3e5_ixndqMCiqMSaaSdzBpgFb_li_0.png

i remember buying newspapers everyday... ahhh the good ole times

at the beginning of the season usa today used to have a huge section on the upcoming year, good stuff... wonder if they still do it...

i remember buying newspapers everyday... ahhh the good ole times

at the beginning of the season usa today used to have a huge section on the upcoming year, good stuff... wonder if they still do it...
I miss reading the Herald on Monday mornings after Pats games to see if they thought the same as me, then I would do fantasy football scores BY HAND using the box scores from USA Today during the MNF game, pre-cable, as it was one of three games on TV that week. Back in the day, when less was more. Now we've got TNF, Sunday 1pm and 4pm, SNF, and of course, MNF. Plus Red Zone and Game Day for those who have a bad addiction.

I am not sure I ever went to the Times for sports, so meh. Too pretentious for me.

I'm pretty sure I got more joy from sports news when it was all in hard copy, delivered daily. The Sunday Globe sports section provided an hour of high quality entertainment. Peter Gammons, Bob Ryan, Will McMullan (sp?) et al really put their heart and soul into creating their columns. It was clearly a matter of pride.

And then after reading it, it was over, and it was on to other things. Nonstop, underwear-drawer level information isn't as fulfilling, ironically.

You just can't resist stepping in it regardless of subject matter. SMH
This country would be so much worse off without the NYT shining the light. It will go down as one of the great institutions when the history is written of this brief, odd experiment called The United States.

I'm pretty sure I got more joy from sports news when it was all in hard copy, delivered daily. The Sunday Globe sports section provided an hour of high quality entertainment. Peter Gammons, Bob Ryan, Will McMullan (sp?) et al really put their heart and soul into creating their columns. It was clearly a matter of pride.

And then after reading it, it was over, and it was on to other things. Nonstop, underwear-drawer level information isn't as fulfilling, ironically.
Will McDonough

What about Ron Borges and John Tomase? Shall they go nameless?

NYT also just bought The Athletic last year.

I am not sure I ever went to the Times for sports, so meh. Too pretentious for me.
Truth. They had lots of great writers, but never really caught on with the masses, just like the rest of their paper.

Some outfits didn't figure out how to transition to the digital age. IMO, NYT Sports didn't have much of a following before the digital onslaught, so there wasn't much to transition.

Some things just aren't viable even when you consider how much cheaper it is to do electronic distribution.

Last edited:
I miss reading the Herald on Monday mornings after Pats games to see if they thought the same as me, then I would do fantasy football scores BY HAND using the box scores from USA Today during the MNF game, pre-cable, as it was one of three games on TV that week. Back in the day, when less was more. Now we've got TNF, Sunday 1pm and 4pm, SNF, and of course, MNF. Plus Red Zone and Game Day for those who have a bad addiction.

Living in Providence RI most of my life ... our Providence Journal was okay.
Very good writers but not many pages of content ... like 3-5 usually.

However on Sundays I would get to the local 'Mart' store early.
To buy one of the few Boston Heralds and Boston Globes they had.
If I was too late I would just keep driving to other 'Marts' until I found them.

Back in those days people would buy the paper and bring them to a local eatery ...
drink coffee, choke on heaters, read the paper .. buy the breakfast special 2 eggs, 2 strips bacon, 1 or 2 slices of bread.

Those Sunday editions were multiple pages long with great writers ... and the photos were special.
Cut out the pages ... stapled them and saved ... hoarded. :rofl:
:cool:

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST