PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION OT: NFL week 17 other games

I wouldn't count the. Out. But the Bucs are going to face an uphill battle this year. Losing Godwin and brown. Not to mention the defense isn't as good as last year's.

Brady's gonna have to use Gronk like prime Gronk. Hopefully he holds up. It got him injured early in the year

Here are the betting odds for MVP from Fox Sports for MVP and coach of the year....interesting that Brady and BB no longer the favorites.

Aaron Rodgers: -175 (bet $10 to win $15.71 total)
Jonathan Taylor: +600 (bet $10 to win $70 total)
Tom Brady: +650 (bet $10 to win $85 total)
Patrick Mahomes: +1100 (bet $10 to win $120 total)
Josh Allen: +1200 (bet $10 to win $130 total)
Dak Prescott: +1800 (bet $10 to win $190 total)
Cooper Kupp: +1800 (bet $10 to win $190 total)
Joe Burrow: +3500 (bet $10 to win $360 total)
Matthew Stafford: +5000 (bet $10 to win $510 total)

Matt LaFleur (Packers)+175
Frank Reich (IND)+300
Bill Belichick (Patriots)+750
Zac Taylor (Bengals)+750
Mike Vrabel (Titans)+1200
What I'm surprised Payton not getting any love. If he gets the Saints to the playoffs with their QB situation he should definitely be up there.

Brady - 40 TDs, 4990 yards, 12 INTs, 682 passing attempts, 16 games

Rodgers - 35 TDs, 3977 yards, 4 INTs, 513 passing attempts, 15 games

Brady has a touchdown per pass attempt of .059 and 7.3 Y/A, while Rodgers has a touchdown per pass attempt of .068 and a 7.8Y/A. If Rodgers had as many pass attempts as Brady, his numbers would be:
Just for fun here are Burrow's stats. This isn't an argument that he deserves the MVP more than Rodgers or Brady - he doesn't - but only to point out what a great year he's had. I don't want to face him in the playoffs.

Because their pass D sucks and the newbies at WR.
Wilson playing far better now late season plus Pats D backfield > Bucs D backfield.

In addition, Arians & Leftwich only pay mere lip service to the running game by not having a true FB anywhere in the building.

Brady’s got MVP. He’s leading the league in important passing categories. And he’s 44. It will be an unparalleled accomplishment in sports and the voters know it. Best QB in football.
Yeah, I think so too. I also think Chase wrapped up ROTY yesterday. What a day from him.

Seeing Berrios making so many plays for the JETE makes me wish that we had found a way to keep him.

IIRC during TC in 2019 the choice of PR came to either Barrio or Gunner… Bill I’m sure made his decision to keep the UDFA rookie from D3 based on the possibility of Gunner improving other aspects of his game, which unfortunately has never happened… Otherwise yeah right now Barrio is the overall better player, and is certainly quicker than Anybody in our own building.

On the Cowboys not being able to challenge an obvious bad call due to lack of a TO-- Sure, it is on them, you need to save a TO.

But why not allow a challenge with no TO, and if unsuccessful, you get penalized a 40 second runoff, or a 15 yard penalty? There should be a way to correct an awful call.
All turnovers are supposed to be reviewed regardless of challenge status.. That's in the rules.

It wasn't a turnover so there was no review

IIRC during TC in 2019 the choice of PR came to either Barrio or Gunner… Bill I’m sure made his decision to keep the UDFA rookie from D3 based on the possibility of Gunner improving other aspects of his game, which unfortunately has never happened… Otherwise yeah right now Barrio is the overall better player, and is certainly quicker than Anybody in our own building.
Really? Hasn't improved other aspects? You aren't watching.

Gunner was the better punt returner then and is even better now than Berrios.
Berrios had issues with drops and running the right routes.. The Pats were trying to stash Berrios on the PS because he'd lost the previous year to IR.

The Patriots have the luxury of giving Gunner time to develop the same way they did with Edelman. That's what happens when you have Meyers, Bourne, Agholor, etc in front of a guy..

Really? Hasn't improved other aspects? You aren't watching.

Gunner was the better punt returner then and is even better now than Berrios.
Berrios had issues with drops and running the right routes.. The Pats were trying to stash Berrios on the PS because he'd lost the previous year to IR.

The Patriots have the luxury of giving Gunner time to develop the same way they did with Edelman. That's what happens when you have Meyers, Bourne, Agholor, etc in front of a guy..

I don’t know how many times it needs to be said that Edelman played as a receiver his rookie year and not only made catches but scored TDs. And then was the best Pats player in the wild card game.

Gunner has shown absolutely nothing aside from punt returns in 3 entire years.

All turnovers are supposed to be reviewed regardless of challenge status.. That's in the rules.
It should have been a turnover, but it wasn't called one on the field, so there was no review.

Or he might have more opportunities for mistakes. ;)

I suspect Rodgers will get it after Brady's game against the Saints, but the ratios and effeciency numbers probably won't be the reason. They're both having exceptional seasons, though, no doubt about that.
The most passing attempts by Rodgers in a season is 610 (#49 on all time list). The thought that Rodgers would catch Brady if he had more passing attempts is asinine. That's not who he is. He's a risk averse passer that only cares about his completion % and not throwing INTs.

Rodgers all time per season (Brady's #s):
Completions: 2016 - 401 (#36) (2021 - 456, #3)
Attempts: 2016 - 610 (#49) (2021 - 682, #3)
Yards: 2011 - 4,643 (#50) (2011 - 5,235, #3)

Brady is very likely to be #1 all time in completions (needs 15) and attempts (needs 46) in 2021, and probably fall just short of the passing yards (needs 487). He'll be #1 this season in completions, attempts, passing yards and TDs, with back to back 40+ TD seasons (Rodgers never had consecutive 40 TD seasons). The dude is 44 yo and he's breaking most of the passing records.

Rodgers gets it because in a QB passing league, the voters will vote for the most risk averse QB. WTF?

Rogers is missing the late game comebacks needed to qualify as MVP. His career is full of stats padding late in games where the outcome is not changed. I do agree he's likely to win it this year reminding me of Manning's MVP wins and lack of post season wins. Gaudy toys that break under pressure.
Brady has 5 this season which is what the NFL QB darlings Mahomes (3) and Rodgers (2) have combined.

Because their pass D sucks and the newbies at WR.
Wilson playing far better now late season plus Pats D backfield > Bucs D backfield.
This has been a very strange season with a bunch of eye popping upsets. These same Jets (4-12) beat the AFC #1 seed Titans (w/ Henry) and the #3 seed Bengals. They played well, no mistakes by Zak, and the Bucs D were still on the plane for the 1st half. Any given Sunday. That poster is a known Brady hater (he was actually rooting for the Jets) and bends over backwards to come up with any excuse to minimize the great year Brady is having.

What I'm surprised Payton not getting any love. If he gets the Saints to the playoffs with their QB situation he should definitely be up there.
Vrabel should be higher, getting #1 seed w/ Henry missing half the season and Brown missing 4 games (their only offense).

I always interpreted MVP as "If we had to replace X, would we have had similar success." This could easily be your road grader guard, or a NT who eats double-teams for lunch and never gets full. Neither show up on the stat line, but their importance is huge.

Each team should submit one player from each side of the ball, then the voting can begin.

That was @RobertWeathers binky.

I always interpreted MVP as "If we had to replace X, would we have had similar success." This could easily be your road grader guard, or a NT who eats double-teams for lunch and never gets full. Neither show up on the stat line, but their importance is huge.

Each team should submit one player from each side of the ball, then the voting can begin.
It'll always be the QB then, unless you have a game manager type on a team where the running game and defense carries the team.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back