PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION OT: NFL week 17 other games

I think the case for Rodgers getting the MVP is a strong one. His only real competition right now is Brady, but if you break down the numbers further, it becomes clear who the winner should be.

Brady - 40 TDs, 4990 yards, 12 INTs, 682 passing attempts, 16 games

Rodgers - 35 TDs, 3977 yards, 4 INTs, 513 passing attempts, 15 games

Brady has a touchdown per pass attempt of .059 and 7.3 Y/A, while Rodgers has a touchdown per pass attempt of .068 and a 7.8Y/A. If Rodgers had as many pass attempts as Brady, his numbers would be:

47 TDs, 5313 yards...

Thus, Rodgers has had a better season if you take into account that Brady has been throwing the ball at a much higher rate.

Or he might have more opportunities for mistakes. ;)

I suspect Rodgers will get it after Brady's game against the Saints, but the ratios and effeciency numbers probably won't be the reason. They're both having exceptional seasons, though, no doubt about that.

Brady’s got MVP. He’s leading the league in important passing categories. And he’s 44. It will be an unparalleled accomplishment in sports and the voters know it. Best QB in football.

I think the case for Rodgers getting the MVP is a strong one. His only real competition right now is Brady, but if you break down the numbers further, it becomes clear who the winner should be.

Brady - 40 TDs, 4990 yards, 12 INTs, 682 passing attempts, 16 games

Rodgers - 35 TDs, 3977 yards, 4 INTs, 513 passing attempts, 15 games

Brady has a touchdown per pass attempt of .059 and 7.3 Y/A, while Rodgers has a touchdown per pass attempt of .068 and a 7.8Y/A. If Rodgers had as many pass attempts as Brady, his numbers would be:

47 TDs, 5313 yards...

Thus, Rodgers has had a better season if you take into account that Brady has been throwing the ball at a much higher rate.
Rogers is missing the late game comebacks needed to qualify as MVP. His career is full of stats padding late in games where the outcome is not changed. I do agree he's likely to win it this year reminding me of Manning's MVP wins and lack of post season wins. Gaudy toys that break under pressure.

Rogers is missing the late game comebacks needed to qualify as MVP. His career is full of stats padding late in games where the outcome is not changed. I do agree he's likely to win it this year reminding me of Manning's MVP wins and lack of post season wins. Gaudy toys that break under pressure.

Perhaps, but I'd like to see how many times the Packers were actually down late in the game versus their opponents this year.

Late game comebacks are great, but it also signifies that the team was losing until the very end. This morning all I'm reading about is Brady's amazing last second touchdown drive (and it was amazing), but I watched parts of the Bucs game yesterday and they were not great. I mean, no one is asking the basic question, why were the Bucs even losing to the 4-12 Jets in the first place?

Because their pass D sucks and the newbies at WR.
Wilson playing far better now late season plus Pats D backfield > Bucs D backfield.

Because their pass D sucks and the newbies at WR.
Wilson playing far better now late season plus Pats D backfield > Bucs D backfield.

Yeah, it still the Jets...with Gronk, Evans, and Brown (early on), the Bucs should have curb stomped them, thus negating the need for Brady's last second TD drive.

There’s a decent chance of
Yeah, it still the Jets...with Gronk, Evans, and Brown (early on), the Bucs should have curb stomped them, thus negating the need for Brady's last second TD drive.

Packers nearly lost at home to the Browns last week.

There’s a decent chance of

Packers nearly lost at home to the Browns last week.

GB was winning for most of the game. No last second touchdown needed. However, I agree that GB should have demolished Cleveland

Take away Matt Ryan’s 2016 MVP and give it to Brady if we’re allowed to account for theoretical stats from missed games.

New rule this year: you need to be vaxxed to win the mvp

On the Cowboys not being able to challenge an obvious bad call due to lack of a TO-- Sure, it is on them, you need to save a TO.

But why not allow a challenge with no TO, and if unsuccessful, you get penalized a 40 second runoff, or a 15 yard penalty? There should be a way to correct an awful call.

Was looking at rushing stats, and noticed that there are only four 1000 yard rushers after 16 games. Feels like I'm reading that wrong. Is that the fewest we've seen in 16 games?

On the Cowboys not being able to challenge an obvious bad call due to lack of a TO-- Sure, it is on them, you need to save a TO.

But why not allow a challenge with no TO, and if unsuccessful, you get penalized a 40 second runoff, or a 15 yard penalty? There should be a way to correct an awful call.

This is why the NFL needs to have a sky judge

Well it is a regular season award so I don’t quite get the Manning jab. He was an unbelievable regular season QB.

Brady’s got MVP. He’s leading the league in important passing categories. And he’s 44. It will be an unparalleled accomplishment in sports and the voters know it. Best QB in football.
Here are the betting odds for MVP from Fox Sports for MVP and coach of the year....interesting that Brady and BB no longer the favorites.

Aaron Rodgers: -175 (bet $10 to win $15.71 total)
Jonathan Taylor: +600 (bet $10 to win $70 total)
Tom Brady: +650 (bet $10 to win $85 total)
Patrick Mahomes: +1100 (bet $10 to win $120 total)
Josh Allen: +1200 (bet $10 to win $130 total)
Dak Prescott: +1800 (bet $10 to win $190 total)
Cooper Kupp: +1800 (bet $10 to win $190 total)
Joe Burrow: +3500 (bet $10 to win $360 total)
Matthew Stafford: +5000 (bet $10 to win $510 total)

Matt LaFleur (Packers)+175
Frank Reich (IND)+300
Bill Belichick (Patriots)+750
Zac Taylor (Bengals)+750
Mike Vrabel (Titans)+1200

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday