PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: NFL draft lottery to stop tanking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They could have brought Orton in and passed. And Pollian was at Stanford in early September scouting Luck. Christ they even branded it. #SUCKFORLUCK

Again, if that's the one and only example, what problem are we trying to fix? A case could be made the Colts could finish 3rd in their division this season. They could easily miss the playoffs for a 3rd straight season. There is simply no example of tanking that has worked so well for a franchise that anyone should care.

Again, if that's the one and only example, what problem are we trying to fix? A case could be made the Colts could finish 3rd in their division this season. They could easily miss the playoffs for a 3rd straight season. There is simply no example of tanking that has worked so well for a franchise that anyone should care.

I think most would say Luck is a top 10 QB. Whether the rest of the team is any good is besides the point.

Over recent history, the Jets have had some pretty good teams, but crap QBs. I'd definitely tank for the opportunity to get even a top 20 QB.

So imo, tanking is absolutely worth it.

Of course, that would probably cause a number of teams to get smarter and be more competitive with the Pats, so as a Pats fan I don't want it to happen.
Since the Pat's competition is only the best teams in the league, it wouldn't hurt them for crap teams to be decent. That proposed system would help the Pats more than any other team as their average draft position is, by far, the worst in the league.

I so hope you're right about the Green Beans tanking because everyone KNOWS that if they get the No. 1 pick they'll screw it up, either by picking the wrong guy or wrecking whoever becomes the franchise's (I use that term loosely) designated "savior."

Or... the Green Beans will finally get the top pick but a new draft lottery system gives the first pick to the Giants.

Indy hasn't been in the playoffs for two years? That means that the last time they were in the playoffs was the 2014 season. Anything special happen during those playoffs?

I think most would say Luck is a top 10 QB. Whether the rest of the team is any good is besides the point.

Over recent history, the Jets have had some pretty good teams, but crap QBs. I'd definitely tank for the opportunity to get even a top 20 QB.

I'm not impressed with Luck, but Indy considered him worth tanking a season for. It just didn't work out as well as they hoped.

As @Crazy Patriot Guy mentioned prior to here, tanking hasn't worked out in the past. It isn't likely to work for the Jets now either. Is there a QB worthy of a good tanking? I don't follow the NCAA so I wouldn't know.

I'm not impressed with Luck, but Indy considered him worth tanking a season for. It just didn't work out as well as they hoped.

As @Crazy Patriot Guy mentioned prior to here, tanking hasn't worked out in the past. It isn't likely to work for the Jets now either. Is there a QB worthy of a good tanking? I don't follow the NCAA so I wouldn't know.

I don't follow college ball either. From what I hear there are at least 3 or 4 top notch QBs available in 2018's draft.

So I just have to believe the "experts".

Jets must think so too, because they passed on taking any QBs this past draft.

Spoken like a true jet fan.

But wait a minute, let's not confuse things. The fact that the Colts have not been doing well lately has nothing to do with the fact that they tanked for Luck, it has to do with the fact that they are incompetent from top to bottom.

If they really tanked for Luck, they wanted the 1st round pick and they got it, they achieved that, mission accomplished. Period. End of story.

From that moment on it's a new story.

A good QB can turn a bad franchise in a playoff team instantly, but we know things are more complicated than that to win playoff games and the big one, otherwise Tom Brady would have to be taking measures of his feet fingers because his hands would be full of rings. We have the best QB of all times and coach too, and that's not enough to win sometimes, most of the times actually.

The Colts had by far the worst GM in the league for years until very recently and couldnt draft well to save their lifes. That among ownership problems and bad coaching resulted in this mess. The reality is that they have been one of the worst franchises in the league but it doesn't appears like that because they have a QB, without Luck they would be the Browns or Jaguars.

Let's not forget that getting the top position in the draft not only gives you the #1 in round 1 but also in all rounds, getting the first pick in rounds 2 and 3, even 4, also gives you a good shot in getting a decent player. That draft was deep in QBs, Luck, RG3, Tanehill and some other QB were taken in the first round so that pushed a few 1st round talents to round 2 probably. That was a deep draft. You can't do much better in the draft than drafting a franchise QB and some other impact players. The Colts could not built a quality roster from that point on.

Luck in a franchise with middle of the pack coaching and GMing would have a better career by now than what he built so far and probably would not be ruined, I think he is almost done now that he has a bum shoulder. I'm not saying he would have won 3 SBs because I don't think he is in the same league of Brady, Rodgers or Brees. But he is a franchise QB, a talented one, that's not up to discussion I think.

So back to my original point, the fact that they have been sucking except for a year or 2 that they made the playoffs, has no correlation with the fact that they supposedly tanked to get Luck.

If I were an owner I would never tank a season, I think that's disgusting but its difficult to say not being in that position, but if that was the case, I think I would clean house after the tank.

I think you can't clean the toxicity out of the locker room of a tanking team unless you clean the entire coaching staff and GM and start fresh, you can't get rid of all the players and even if possible that would postpone any real plan for another 3 years, so clean house and start fresh. If you're going to do some ****, do it 100% to have no regrets.

When was the last guy who was both considered a #1 overall candidate at the time, and in hindsight was good enough to be worth tearing down a team to tank for? Peyton?

If an already-bad team wants to entirely bottom out, I don't see the problem. It's not worth it for a mediocre team to crash and burn, because the payoff just isn't there.

When was the last guy who was both considered a #1 overall candidate at the time, and in hindsight was good enough to be worth tearing down a team to tank for? Peyton?

If an already-bad team wants to entirely bottom out, I don't see the problem. It's not worth it for a mediocre team to crash and burn, because the payoff just isn't there.

I guess the answer is Andrew Luck, but the Colts mediocrity has been disguising that.

What about disconnecting draft position from the teams' previous years record altogether and make the whole thing a lottery. This would put an end to the practice of tanking.

After all - Tanking lacks "integrity":confused:

Suck for Luck wasn't the only example of Indy tanking. Remember when they had a chance to go 16-0 but instead dumped their last two games to the Jets and Bills in 2009? I can still see the stunned look on the faces of Manning and Jeff Saturday when they got the news that they were being taken out of the Jets game.

Bill Polian, the greatest football mind in his own mind, decided that he wanted to get the Jets into the playoffs to take out Pittsburgh, a team that gave Indy fits. It almost worked, but P6 threw a P6 to end the SB.

When questioned about his decision to tank the Jets game, Polian had the balls to reference the Pats from 2007, as if getting within a minute of going 19-0 was something to criticize.

There aren't enough bad things that can happen to Indy as far as I'm concerned.

I don't follow college ball either. From what I hear there are at least 3 or 4 top notch QBs available in 2018's draft.

So I just have to believe the "experts".

Jets must think so too, because they passed on taking any QBs this past draft.

There's 5-6 really good prospects but drafting is just the battle.

The war is to develop and surround these guys with the right talent. The right way. Tennessee is doing a great job. I wouldn't be surprised if we faced them in the playoffs very soon.

Anyway it's all about picking the right guy, development and balance.

Not trolling here but the Jets haven't shown anything close to a real franchise in a long time.

There's 5-6 really good prospects but drafting is just the battle.

The war is to develop and surround these guys with the right talent. The right way. Tennessee is doing a great job. I wouldn't be surprised if we faced them in the playoffs very soon.

Anyway it's all about picking the right guy, development and balance.

Not trolling here but the Jets haven't shown anything close to a real franchise in a long time.

Yup I'm loving what Tennessee is doing. Given the Jets won't give me much to root for in terms of winning this year, I'm looking forward to seeing Tennessee play. Them and Oakland.

Regarding the Jets developing a QB... I like how things are going so far. They let Hack sit a whole season. Which shows me they won't cave to pressure, even from the insane NY media. So they'll do what's right for the QB.

They're also lining themselves up for having close to 100mil to spend next season, after a whole season of developing youth. I imagine some of the young guys will excel and secure long-term spots, but I'm sure some will fail and that's what next year's draft and the 100mil are for.

Perhaps use free agency to fill some holes (a top olineman or 2, legit #1 WR...).

I'm actually pretty confident with the current plan. It's been quite a while since I could say that. This season is almost undoubtedly gonna be a rough road though. But it can still be fun. For example I'm psyched to see: our two rookie safeties flying around, how a young oline gels, if Hack is any good, the young LBs, WRs n TE...

Probably won't amount to much in the win column, but will still be enjoyable and interesting.

Last edited:
Yup I'm loving what Tennessee is doing. Given the Jets won't give me much to root for in terms of winning this year, I'm looking forward to seeing Tennessee play this year. Them and Oakland.

Regarding the Jets developing a QB... I like how things are going so far. They let Hack sit a whole season. Which shows me they won't cave to pressure, even from the insane NY media. So they'll do what's right for the QB.

They're also lining themselves up for having close to 100mil to spend next season, after a whole season of developing youth. I imagine some of the young guys will excel and secure long-term spots, but I'm sure some will fail and that's what next year's draft and the 100mil are for.

Perhaps use free agency to fill some holes (a top olineman or 2, legit #1 WR...).

I'm actually pretty confident with the current plan. It's been quite a while since I could say that. This season is almost undoubtedly gonna be a rough road though. But it can still be fun. For example I'm psyched to see: our two rookie safeties flying around, how a young oline gels, if Hack is any good, the young LBs, WRs n TE...

Probably won't amount to much in the win column, but will still be enjoyable and interesting.

I thought it was a really good double dip and think Adams is a stud. I honestly thought Lee struggled quite a bit but that whole D save the line is up in the air besides a very few new younger guys.

I heard Hack was really lighting it up the past few weeks

I thought it was a really good double dip and think Adams is a stud. I honestly thought Lee struggled quite a bit but that whole D save the line is up in the air besides a very few new younger guys.

I heard Hack was really lighting it up the past few weeks

Yeah, I couldn't believe there was actually a positive Hack report. Was great to see. But it's the summer... long ways to go.

Let's see if he can show something come preseason. If so, my gameplan of Sucking for Sam will change real quick.

Yeah, I couldn't believe there was actually a positive Hack report. Was great to see. But it's the summer... long ways to go.

Let's see if he can show something come preseason. If so, my gameplan of Sucking for Sam will change real quick.

Best thing for the Jets is for Hack to prove almost everyone wrong and become a legit starter.

Jets go 2-14 and get the 1st pick. Select the best QB their is and let them duel it out for a year or two then trade one away for more picks or a top tier player.

Best thing for the Jets is for Hack to prove almost everyone wrong and become a legit starter.

Jets go 2-14 and get the 1st pick. Select the best QB their is and let them duel it out for a year or two then trade one away for more picks or a top tier player.

Well if Hack is good, I don't think we end up with a top 5 pick. The rest of the team isn't as bad as many are making it seem.

Hack does have an uphill battle though, and not just on the field. For whatever reason the media seems to have it out for the kid (or just the Jets in general).

Some schmuck reporter made it seem Hack's accuracy was so bad on one play that he was closer to hitting reporters than the WR. And like an idiot I assumed the report was true. You can see in the bleow link, it's far from true.

The NY media sucks at times. Always gotta get clicks and sell papers regardless of truth.

Jets QB coach praises Christian Hackenberg's accuracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents