PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: NFL draft lottery to stop tanking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see it for the bottom 5 teams. and don't weigh it - equal shot for all 5 picks.

Well if Hack is good, I don't think we end up with a top 5 pick. The rest of the team isn't as bad as many are making it seem.

Hack does have an uphill battle though, and not just on the field. For whatever reason the media seems to have it out for the kid (or just the Jets in general).

Some schmuck reporter made it seem Hack's accuracy was so bad on one play that he was closer to hitting reporters than the WR. And like an idiot I assumed the report was true. You can see in the bleow link, it's far from true.

The NY media sucks at times. Always gotta get clicks and sell papers regardless of truth.

Jets QB coach praises Christian Hackenberg's accuracy

Yeah I disagree there.

You can never have enough QB'S. Esp nowadays. The Patriots have the best problem in the league right now. Not only Jimmy but Jacoby.

Hack having a good year and looking like a starter won't amount to more than 4-5 wins at best imho. We just disagree w/ the talent level on your squad right now. It's a bottom 3-5 roster with a new regime, players and QB. It's going to be very tough to compete this year esp with this schedule.

A lot of people are bringing up the Colts and Luck, but that was late in the year. They signed vet Kerry Collins to start, and he ended up losing his first 3 games (1 of which they led in the 4th) before going out with a concussion. They had Painter up next, and he lost all 8 of his starts. Orlovsky actually went 2-3 to close out the year. So they really didn't tank so much as just suck. They went 1-7 in close games without Manning.

And as far as teams tanking to get a great player, yeah, it can happen. But so what? What massive advantage has it given a team over the years? The last #1 pick to win a Super Bowl was from the 2004 draft, Eli Manning, and he didn't do it with his original team. You have to go back to 1998 and Peyton Manning to see a team with the #1 pick win a Super Bowl with that player, and even that took 8 years.

The Rams and Orlando Pace in 1997 would win 1 Super Bowl (but only one muwahahah), and then Bledsoe was drafted in 1993 and would win as a backup in 2001. That's it since the salary cap era.

So over the past 20+ years, we're talking about 2 guys who were starters and won with the teams they were drafted, and 1 guy who won as a back-up, plus one other guy who got traded to a different franchise and won.

Sure, some teams might tank. But it doesn't seem to be giving teams that pick #1 a ridiculous advantage in any way.

Yeah I disagree there.

You can never have enough QB'S. Esp nowadays. The Patriots have the best problem in the league right now. Not only Jimmy but Jacoby.

Hack having a good year and looking like a starter won't amount to more than 4-5 wins at best imho. We just disagree w/ the talent level on your squad right now. It's a bottom 3-5 roster with a new regime, players and QB. It's going to be very tough to compete this year esp with this schedule.

Right, we definitely differ there. I mean if Hack is decent, I'll actually be somewhat annoyed we got rid of Marshall because then we could have competed for a wildcard spot.

Basically I see it like this. Except for WR (because Marshall and Decker are gonna now) the team is better now than it was last year.
  • Oline: sure we released Mangold but he was injured half the season anyways. And the young guys now have some experience.
  • TE... anything is better than last year
  • RB = unchanged
  • Dline: Wilk hopefully healthy, Sheldon in contract year, and Leo only getting better
  • LBs: close here because letting Harris walk sucks, but I think the experience gained from last year's 2 rookies and sophomore outweighs the loss of an older Harris.
  • DBs: easily upgraded at safety (even though there'll be growing pains). Addition by subtraction by cutting Revis.
So if Hack is good, the team can win imo. Probably not enough to make any noise in December though with Enunwa as the only proven WR.

Right, we definitely differ there. I mean if Hack is decent, I'll actually be somewhat annoyed we got rid of Marshall because then we could have competed for a wildcard spot.

Basically I see it like this. Except for WR (because Marshall and Decker are gonna now) the team is better now than it was last year.
  • Oline: sure we released Mangold but he was injured half the season anyways. And the young guys now have some experience.
  • TE... anything is better than last year
  • RB = unchanged
  • Dline: Wilk hopefully healthy, Sheldon in contract year, and Leo only getting better
  • LBs: close here because letting Harris walk sucks, but I think the experience gained from last year's 2 rookies and sophomore outweighs the loss of an older Harris.
  • DBs: easily upgraded at safety (even though there'll be growing pains). Addition by subtraction by cutting Revis.
So if Hack is good, the team can win imo. Probably not enough to make any noise in December though with Enunwa as the only proven WR.

You guys have an incredibly young team that doesn't know how to win. I think you're being pretty optimistic about the roster.

I really think it's a 3-5 win team, at best 6.

It's gunna be a great draft though and you guys will add more young talent.

You guys have an incredibly young team that doesn't know how to win. I think you're being pretty optimistic about the roster.

I really think it's a 3-5 win team, at best 6.

It's gunna be a great draft though and you guys will add more young talent.

Fair enough. It's the disease of fandom. Can't help it.

What about disconnecting draft position from the teams' previous years record altogether and make the whole thing a lottery. This would put an end to the practice of tanking.

After all - Tanking lacks "integrity":confused:

Because it is the NFL and nobody believes it will do it with integrity.

For many teams, having the #1 pick becomes a handicap. As someone pointed out above, Clowney and the money he earns is not equal to Flowers and the money he earns. You win with Flowers-type picks, not Clowney-type picks. Why keep handicapping the losing teams with high draft picks?

The only solution to this is a regular rotation that has nothing to do with W-L record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back