PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Mike Shanahan balls of steel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adapt, execute, overcome. Simple. Straight forward.

Regardless of the calls the refs made (and I absolutely agree that Ed blew that call) it still came down to SD stopping the Broncos. They had two chances to stop them, both at the TD and the 2-PT conversion. Stopping either would've won the game for the Chargers. Had the defemse done their job, Denver would not have won.

No amount of complaining about the refs can overcome poor play by the Charger Defense. SD needs to man up and accept the blame for the loss, and not be using the refs as a crutch to ameliorate their poor execution.

Respects,

But you see, the Chargers DID stop them. They recovered a fumble. Our ball....Game over. How many plays do they have to dominate? It's not a series of 6 downs, it's a series of 4 downs. I dont care who the team is, when you give them extra downs, chances are they will capitalize. Just saying SD should have stopped them, is blatantly simplistic and ignoring the facts and impact of that situation. It was a game deciding bad call.

He went for 2 because neither defense was not stopping anything so put it in the hands your offense to win.

They got screwed over yes. But they could have stopped them on 4th down OR the 2pt conversion. They didn't lose the game on that play. Denver still had to make two more plays to win that game.

Speaking of plays like that, going for 2 at the end of the game, it's a great call, especially in a 38-38 game where you don't want to give the other team the ball when you haven't played good defense.
Exactly right on both counts. Evelryone is crediting Shannahan with making a guysy call when he said it himself post-game: he didn't want the game decided by the coin flip. His defense was bad and by hte end of the game was imcompetent. He knew if they lost the coin toss they'd lose the game and took the best option he had.

But you see, the Chargers DID stop them. They recovered a fumble. Our ball....Game over. How many plays do they have to dominate? It's not a series of 6 downs, it's a series of 4 downs. I dont care who the team is, when you give them extra downs, chances are they will capitalize. Just saying SD should have stopped them, is blatantly simplistic and ignoring the facts and impact of that situation. It was a game deciding bad call.

Can't stand the Chargers, but totally agree with this.

Not true. Not any team. Last week the Pats stopped the Chiefs for 5 downs at the goal line due to a time out called. We stopped them, but the play didn't count, and they ran 4 more, all of which we stopped. All you have to do was to stop a 2-point conversion. Like it or not, you deserved to lose.
Charger fans are the new Raider fans.

It was the correct call of a bad rule.

You may not like it, but the rule is very clear. You sound like the whiny Raider fans in 2001. (And like in 2001, they will review this rule next March and make no changes.)

I'm hoping Tomlinson grows a pair by next week and doesn't take himself out of the game for an "injury" that any other running back in the league would play through, you might actually beat the Jets. I wouldn't mind seeing the Jets lose another.

I'm sure the Chargers will find a way to blow this one, too. though.

Over here they switched over after our game so I caught the last 9 or so mins. I thought he'd play the percentages and just kick he extra point but all credit to him for making that call. It's one of them were if it comes off your cool and if it doesn't your a total idiot.

I'm guessing he did it because the Chargers were reeling from getting f*cked up the ass two plays earlier. I wanted Denver to win but that was disgusting. Hochuli should voluntarily not be paid for the travesty he imposed on the league today.

it was a really bad call probably one of the worst Ive seen but lets stop calling things like that a travesty I mean its a mistake and Hoc's a good ref. If you make a mistake at work no matter how big it is, even if you get fired for that mistake you still get paid for the days work you put in and you wouldn't give it back.

Last edited:
100% the right call with Shanahan. You should prefer to rely on your offense to get 2 yards on a gassed D, versus taking your chances with a coin flip.

It was a non-reviewable play anyway. It was considered a simultaneous catch. They said even if the equipment was working, the ref couldn't review it.
Sorry, you are wrong. It was not a simultaneous catch and it wasn't claimed as one at the time. Bailey clearly grabbed the ball after Chambers made the initial catch. Also if it was non-reviewable why did they review it?

It was an incorrect call unable to be overturned due to a bad rule. He incorrectly ruled an incomplete pass (despite the fact that if it WAS a pass it went backward, and by rule, would be a lateral and a live ball) and blew the whistle. The bad rule is that once the whistle blew the play can not be overturned even though it was clear what the outcome should be.

You may not like it, but the rule is very clear.
Still a bad call. And if it happened to the Patriots imagine the outcry (justified).

Some cheese with that whine?

KA-PAO!

Last edited:
Still a bad call. And if it happened to the Patriots imagine the outcry (justified).

Well, of course. And you'd be here pointing, laughing and telling us to deal with it.

I don't know if it is a bad rule. It was the correct call. But an inadvertent whistle is still a whistle. I think it's an awfully slippery slope if you let replay decide if the players did give up on the play because they heard a whistle, or if the players who did give up would have been able to get there anyway.

I don't think there's a right way to do it, except to tell the refs to keep the whistles in their pockets.

Well, of course. And you'd be here pointing, laughing and telling us to deal with it.
Unfair. I didn't do that when Brady went down. Wouldn't do it if this happened to the Patriots either. It's wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes