PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jets institute body language fines for Mark Sanchez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT:Jets institute body language fines for Mark Sanchez

This does not top the Moss chow line incident. I was absolutely certain that the story about a HOF WR being cut for yelling at the lunch lady was an Onion story.

It is a strange year.

I feel like leadership isn't something you can teach. It can be developed over time, but it's something that ultimately is either in you or it's not. Sanchez may become a leader as he matures (I wouldn't bet on it, but it's possible), but no funny gimmick is going to accelerate that process.

Isn't this right around the time last year when the Jets started going south...

I feel like leadership isn't something you can teach. It can be developed over time, but it's something that ultimately is either in you or it's not. Sanchez may become a leader as he matures (I wouldn't bet on it, but it's possible), but no funny gimmick is going to accelerate that process.

Isn't this right around the time last year when the Jets started going south...

I don't see him maturing either. And having a "body language" fine on his resumé won't exactly inspire folks to follow him. (And this is the part where I remind he Jets they could have stayed at 17 in the '09 draft and gotten Freeman.)

Yeah, Jets were streaky last year. Started 3-1, went 1-5 to fall to 4-6 then won five of their last six. They also had a nice collapse in '08, losing four of their last five to go from 8-3 to 9-7. Coaches supposedly reminded the players of the '08 collapse during their bye week but it didn't seem to help.

Last edited:

After reading this, I still have no idea what the Jets are trying to accomplish.

All I can say is bizarre.

Sanchez may become a leader as he matures (I wouldn't bet on it, but it's possible)

I wouldn't bet on it either. Even if leadership were something you could learn, you aren't going to acquire it surrounded by the immaturity that is celebrated within the Jets organization.

But even barring that, you don't learn leadership from being treated like Pavlov's dog.

If I were in a photoshopping mood I'd toss a Sanchez pic on this:
pavlov_event.png

I expected this to be an Onion link.

It seems as though no one followed the link -FROM- the PFT site...

Jets institute body language fines for quarterback Mark Sanchez | NJ.com

Doesn't sound like a big deal, more good-natured than anything and Mark's idea. Probably just an inside joke type of deal and the fine is likely negligible amount of money.

I wouldn't bet on it either. Even if leadership were something you could learn, you aren't going to acquire it surrounded by the immaturity that is celebrated within the Jets organization.

But even barring that, you don't learn leadership from being treated like Pavlov's dog.

If I were in a photoshopping mood I'd toss a Sanchez pic on this:
pavlov_event.png

Maybe, but don't some NFL teams try things like bringing in ballet teachers to teach the offensive line, and yoga instructors for teams with too many pulled hamstrings etc I mean like what's the difference between this mild exercise and these interesting attempts at gaining an edge.

That's hilarious.

The weirdest part to me is how they talk about it to the media though. It's one thing to work with a QB on his leadership skills, to try and get him to mature. But what good does it do to throw it out there for everyone to read and laugh at?

That's hilarious.

The weirdest part to me is how they talk about it to the media though. It's one thing to work with a QB on his leadership skills, to try and get him to mature. But what good does it do to throw it out there for everyone to read and laugh at?

It's no doubt that Sanchez has talent. But, all this game-playing stuff with the Jet's coaching staff, only emphasizes that Sanchez is not a leader.

I thought this was his own idea.

"Sanchez reportedly wanted to start the system. Backup Mark Brunell collects the money, which probably amounts to a couple bucks for a shoulder shrug or an exasperated eye roll."

So why not? The negative reinforcement will make him less likely to act like an ass. Some people need to work on this kind of stuff. Sanchez is obviously one of em.

I thought this was his own idea.

"Sanchez reportedly wanted to start the system. Backup Mark Brunell collects the money, which probably amounts to a couple bucks for a shoulder shrug or an exasperated eye roll."

So why not? The negative reinforcement will make him less likely to act like an ass. Some people need to work on this kind of stuff. Sanchez is obviously one of em.

This. I commend Sanchez for working on little things.

As for the New Jersey Jets throwing Sanchez under a bus, it's just a different environment down there. No harm, no foul. If anything, it's a distraction off last weekend's loss.

It's no doubt that Sanchez has talent. But, all this game-playing stuff with the Jet's coaching staff, only emphasizes that Sanchez is not a leader.

I agree, but I see no advantage to the organization to mention that to the media. I swear they're more interested in making the front page than they are winning games.

hilariously pathetic.. but it is the Jets so...

I agree, but I see no advantage to the organization to mention that to the media. I swear they're more interested in making the front page than they are winning games.

Maybe so, but they are winning games WHILE making the front page. Not that I agree with their methods but it is fact that so far they have won games AND acted up, but that doesn't mean it's going to continue.(Them winning games that is ;])

Secondly, I would NOT want to be part of an organization that fines me for "body language". I don't know why Mark Sanchez even humors them with this rule.

I haven't gone though every thread but IIRC in "Hard Knocks", there was a segment where Shottenheimer got on Sanchez pretty good about body language and leadership.

My take: Some people are born leaders. In some people, then need experience to make them more confident in their role as a leader. Some just don't have it in them.

I think Sanchez is the 2nd to latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore