PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT:"It's Matt Patricia's version of Detroit Lions football, and it's driving us to madness"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Interesting read:

It's Matt Patricia's version of Detroit Lions football, and it's driving us to madness

I say that because a lot of the thoughts in this piece sort of echo the sentiments of a lot of people here during his tenure, so it's funny to see a similar reaction out there given all the comments from everyone while he was here.

I was thinking about it - there was a tendency here of making bad quarterbacks look good, late game opposing big plays and some tense moments. Makes you wonder how much of a factor their philosophy was during his time as coordinator, especially given what we saw from this group last year and this year.

Last edited:
And Mayo / Flores seem light years better with the same personnel

When you are down to your #4 QB your team is in trouble. Despite that he's kept his team playing hard and in games. He'll be fine. I was more worried after his first year

People overuse the term overrated. In this case, the shoe fits.

I don’t know if MP will turn it around, but I do believe we live in a disposable society. Today, both Seinfeld & Cheers would be cancelled after season 1. Detroit isn’t going anywhere - they should give MP another two seasons.

2015 defense:

7th yards per play
9th yards per game
10th PPG
13th passer rating
10th 3rd down pct

2014 defense:

11th yards per play
13th yards per game
8th PPG
10th passer rating
16th 3rd down pct

These two defenses should have been elite. 2015 in particular had Chandler Jones, Alan Branch, Akiem Hicks, Rob Ninkovich & Jabaal Sheard on the DL (along with Dont'a & Jamie at LB). Imagine the play calling style of Flores or the Mayo/Steve/BB trio with that D.

There was also a series of questionable gameplans from 2014 to 2017. It's tough to know if they were more due to BB or Patricia but some include:
  • Matching up 6'5 Chris Matthews with 5'10 Kyle Arrington despite having Brandon Browner. This matchup nearly cost a SB until it was fixed in the second half

• Playing soft coverage in the first quarter vs. noodle armed Peyton Manning in 2015 despite having the talent to clobber them from the start. They went aggressive later on but were already down 14-6. Fourteen points too many given up to that offense

• Matching up Alshon Jeffrey with Eric Rowe to start SB52. This one is just bizarre with Gilmore on the team. He erased Jeffrey later on when the D adjusted
Not a Patricia fan. His style of conservative defense leads to QBs overperforming & it's been evident with his time as the lions HC.

I think that GB game where they got royally screwed by the officials did them in. That game would have given them a lead in the division and now they’ve lost 5 straight. A mentally strong team overcomes that game but they obviously aren’t a mentally strong team, which a lot falls on Patricia.

He’s a smart coach but I always felt we weren’t aggressive enough under him.

2015 defense:

7th yards per play
9th yards per game
10th PPG
13th passer rating
10th 3rd down pct

2014 defense:

11th yards per play
13th yards per game
8th PPG
10th passer rating
16th 3rd down pct

These two defenses should have been elite. 2015 in particular had Chandler Jones, Alan Branch, Akiem Hicks, Rob Ninkovich & Jabaal Sheard on the DL (along with Dont'a & Jamie at LB). Imagine the play calling style of Flores or the Mayo/Steve/BB trio with that D.

There was also a series of questionable gameplans from 2014 to 2017. It's tough to know if they were more due to BB or Patricia but some include:
  • Matching up 6'5 Chris Matthews with 5'10 Kyle Arrington despite having Brandon Browner. This matchup nearly cost a SB until it was fixed in the second half

• Playing soft coverage in the first quarter vs. noodle armed Peyton Manning in 2015 despite having the talent to clobber them from the start. They went aggressive later on but were already down 14-6. Fourteen points too many given up to that offense

• Matching up Alshon Jeffrey with Eric Rowe to start SB52. This one is just bizarre with Gilmore on the team. He erased Jeffrey later on when the D adjusted
Not a Patricia fan. His style of conservative defense leads to QBs overperforming & it's been evident with his time as the lions HC.
I'm still baffled that the adjustment in SB49 came so late. Arrington was getting torched. I was screaming for Browner to be switched onto him and, if memory serves, it wasn't even a coaching decision when it finally happened. I can't remember what I watched, but I remember DMac saying the players decided that on the field during one of the huddles. Inexcusable that the coaches seemingly didn't do anything about something so obvious.

making that Chicago QB look good should be reason enough to fire him

And did anyone else notice the Horrible game that the Error Repeater had? Dude's a Fatt Matt pet for reason(s) unknown.

Smarmy and an underachiever. I’m glad he’s gone. He ain’t no rocket scientist, that’s for sure.

It is amazing how much the Lions D, which makes all opposing QB's look like Dan Marino, reminds me of the old Pats D.

2015 defense:

7th yards per play
9th yards per game
10th PPG
13th passer rating
10th 3rd down pct

2014 defense:

11th yards per play
13th yards per game
8th PPG
10th passer rating
16th 3rd down pct

I’d also give you the “Winner”, “Agree” rating if I could but I decided to give you the “Like”.

I could go on and on why I’m glad Patricia is gone, but you pulled out some great examples. Not testing out Manning’s arm was beyond bizarre. I’ve said enough of how Rowe on Jeffrey was idiotic. I’ve also had a hunch somebody was holding Chandler Jones back because he’s been a sack machine since he left. I’m still pissed he’s gone.

His spineless response regarding Malcom Butler was the nail in the coffin.

Patricia was d coordinator here for 6 years.
The results in those 6 years
75-21 reg season
11-4 post season
3 Sb
2 Sb wins

#2 in points allowed
#6 in takeaways
#5 in sacks
#8 in opponent passes rating was.

When you are down to your #4 QB your team is in trouble. Despite that he's kept his team playing hard and in games. He'll be fine. I was more worried after his first year

Has nothing to do with their defense being horrific, only rushing three guys and their two linebackers missing tackles at a rate unmatched in the NFL right now.

75-21 reg season
11-4 post season
3 Sb
2 Sb wins

#2 in points allowed
#6 in takeaways
#5 in sacks

This. Will never understand the posters who just love knocking players/coaches as soon as they leave the Pats.

I used to stick up for him (which I am sure mattered a lot to him) but it's getting harder and harder to do that seeing how as soon as he left the defense stopped being so porous. Sure he didn't have a top-of-his-game Gilmore but he had Revis and others and we still shat the bed.

If Flores or Mayo/Li'l Bill were our DCs in 2017 we're looking for a 4th SB in a row.

75-21 reg season
11-4 post season
3 Sb
2 Sb wins

#2 in points allowed
#6 in takeaways
#5 in sacks

William Stephen Belichick.

Interesting read:

It's Matt Patricia's version of Detroit Lions football, and it's driving us to madness

I say that because a lot of the thoughts in this piece sort of echo the sentiments of a lot of people here during his tenure, so it's funny to see a similar reaction out there given all the comments from everyone while he was here.

I was thinking about it - there was a tendency here of making bad quarterbacks look good, late game opposing big plays and some tense moments. Makes you wonder how much of a factor their philosophy was during his time as coordinator, especially given what we saw from this group last year and this year.

Dude, you could put belichick as head coach, chuck knoll as defense coordinator and that white haired guy from San Francisco as offensive coordinator and the lions would still be .250

William Stephen Belichick.
In the 6 years before that:

76-20 regular season
6-5 post season
2 SB
Zero championships.

3rd points
9th sacks
7th pr
3 turnovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.