PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Interesting read on Manning

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is a professional football player being paid 20 million a year to play a game most of us would love to be able to still be playing. I don't know how that is heroic. There are many true heroes out there in every day life, and its not because they play a game.

Good points all.......but who used the terms "hero" or "heroic"?

Not quite sure with whom you are arguing.

Last edited:
I was just watching NFL primetime. They made it a point to show the forehead's good or deep throws. Even the Sanders incomplete pass. Of course they don't even mention the fact that the pass was actually incomplete. It was disgusting. BSPN propaganda is terrible!

The concussed ghosts of Manning’s former slot receivers finally remembered whose body to practice their evil voodoo on. Pretty soon his prostate will be larger than his forehead and he’ll need to wear Depends in order to get through a quarter of football. He won’t make it through the first half of the season.

Last edited:
The concussed ghosts of Manning’s former slot receivers finally remembered which body to practice their evil voodoo on. Pretty soon his prostate will be larger than his forehead and he’ll need to wear Depends in order to get through a quarter of football. He won’t make it through the first half of the season.

With his arm right now, he's also hanging his receivers out to dry routinely, even in September. Imagine what it's going to be like for Sanders and Thomas come December.

The Broncos are a legitimate Super Bowl contender this year, though I thought the media had unfairly buried them before he season started, so I'm not surprised at all. Anyone who really looked at the rosters and thought the Colts were better were drinking the blue kool-aid. The Broncos have a bevy of pass rushers and Talib/Harris at CB. That alone gives them a strong defense. On offense, that line is not good, but Peyton doesn't need to score 35 points.

Their o-line is very average. Their RBs are average. Come December their QB will have as much RPM on the football as a Tim Wakefield knuckleball. Ware will wear down. Miller is good. Their DTs, OLBs and CBs are good.

The only thing I'm afraid of is Ward trying to take out Gronk's at the knees three years in a row.

Their o-line is very average. Their RBs are average. Come December their QB will have as much RPM on the football as a Tim Wakefield knuckleball. Ware will wear down. Miller is good. Their DTs, OLBs and CBs are good.

The only thing I'm afraid of is Ward trying to take out Gronk's at the knees three years in a row.

LT Ty Sambrailo
LG Evan Mathis
C Matt Paradis
RG Louis Vasquez
RT Ryan Harris

Do you really consider this to be an "average" offensive line?

I am saying they suck. With most QBs, they would be exposed as one of the worst O-Lines in the NFL. Even with Manning, they aren't even average at pass blocking.

I think their line has talent. Not sure if they are wrong for Kubiak's zone blocking system or are still trying to figure it out.

As we all know talent does not necessarily translate to excellent players or good teamwork.

Average is generous. Their line is bad. The guards will eventually be fine I think, as Mathis settles in. But the center and tackles have been crap and there isn't much reason to expect they'll improve a lot.

Clady going down was a big loss. Mathis will help, but Manning almost seems to need the Great Wall of China in front of him at this point. I'm not sure if even the Dallas line would be enough to keep him comfortable, at this point.

I don't hate Peyton Manning for being a stat whore and serial underachiever in the playoffs. I blame the mediots who made him more than who he was, and tried to elevate him over Tom Brady. They are the ones who have perpetrated the myth that Manning is even on the same level as Tom Brady. The gap that lies between them has been there long before Peyton's arm started to die.

However as fans, as much as we hate him as a long time rival, we should respect him as a skillful QB, in a league that doesn't have too many of them. It's not his fault he compares so badly to TFB. Against 99% of the league's QB's he still compares well. Face it we are just pissed (and rightly so) that the ESPN's of the world have just exaggerated his skills. But didn't we ALL think that while Brady handed off to RB's four times for TD's, Sunday, Manning would have thrown for at least 3 of them. :rolleyes:

BTW- I expect Manning to keep getting better as he gets used to the hybrid he and Kubiak are developing. We've seen this act before when Chad Pennington used his Million dollar mind and 10 cent arm to cobble together an 11-5 season back in 2008. I would expect no less from Peyton. He certainly has enough tools around him to manage it.

But just like in 2008, a combination of the attrition of a long NFL season, cold weather, and better competition will likely keep the Broncos out of a bye and likely ANOTHER one and done for Peyton. You couldn't help but notice that almost every successful long throw he made the other night was a jump ball that his receiver bailed him out of. Down the road, those could all be picks as defenses begin to know his capabilities better.

Schmessy said it well. The Broncos could be 8-0 and barring draconian injuries, I wouldn't fear them. They have a great defense, no doubt, but if Gronk is still standing, they have no answer for him. The Denver D isn't better than the Bills, and we saw how that went without a running game, which we will have by the start of the playoffs. I know people are thrilled with our OL, but when Wendell and Stork come back it WILL be better.

S
IT TAKES PEYTON Manning 15 minutes to shed his suit of armor after a game.

He begins with his cleats, which he can barely untie without assistance. A Broncos equipment staffer helps peel them off his feet while he does a radio interview, because after nearly 25 years of football dating back to high school, it's a relief to not have to bend over that far. Next come his shoulder pads, which, when yanked over his head, generate a groan that is a mixture of suffering and sweet relief. Manning's pale arms and torso are covered in fresh scrapes and old bruises, some the color of strawberries, others a shade of eggplant.

His socks come off after several violent tugs, revealing toes that are twisted and bent into obtuse angles. When he removes a thick blue DonJoy knee brace from his stiff left leg, he twice pauses to grimace and gather himself before stripping it off and handing it to a staffer for safekeeping. As he slices away at the thick layers of athletic tape supporting his ankles, he looks like a surgeon operating on his own leg without anesthesia.

That is some yellow-ass journalism right there.

I bet it takes wilfork a long time to get out of his gear too, I moan and groan when I take off ski boots and such after a couple hours skiing.

This is how most bodies would react to being in an armor shell for five hours.

He's bad, but not some crippled old man like hte article suggests. Sheesh....

The only thing missing was the tear from his eye.

I see more and more people compare the NFL to WWE. To us Brady has always been the hero and Manning the villain. To the rest the roles were reversed, Brady has been the villain that everyone loves to hate. When Brady and Manning played each other, it has always been a featured match. Manning has been a worthy opponent but he is no longer an opponent to be feared.

One thing that helps make a great QB is durability and the ability to play injured. Brady has that quality and so does Manning. Both have high football IQ's. Brady is just better able to execute under adverse hostile conditions. The Brady and Manning SuperBowls against Seattle are probably the best example of that. I've watched all three Manning games this year and it's clear that he has declined physically. There are limits on what he can physically do but Denver has a great defense to help them win games.

Peyton Manning has made a lot of friends in the media over the past 17 years or so. I thought the article read more like an obituary than current news...a piece by someone who knows he has to acknowledge that it's over without saying it in so many words.

If you close your eyes after you read it and pretend for a moment that you are a lifelong fan of Peyton Manning, who has worshiped him since his College days...someone who thinks he can do no wrong...you probably don't like this article.

I know this won't be popular with the masses here, but I admire the hell out of the guy. Many felt he should not be in harm's way on a football field after having to travel to Euorope to undergo 4 neck surgeries that are not permitted in the US.

Would I take him over Brady? Hell no.

But the constant, insecure need to denigrate Peyton Manning is as comical as the Patriot haters who cling to the "cheaters!" rap.

He's a helluva QB who simply couldn't get it done in the clutch. And he won't this year either - - once the temperatures get down below 50 degrees in November. Look at the one and only time he got to the SB since his surgeries - - 2013. Every game down the stretch was either freakishly warm or inside. Then they AFCCG against the Patriots in Denver was a ridiculously sunny 63 degree late January day in Denver. Denver can win their first 8 games and I won't be worried about them this year (although that Defense is excellent, they will stil have to score some points when the weather gets colder.).

He has been the 2nd or 3rd best QB of the this century so far and a worthy rival. I'm not sure many other people on earth would be putting on an NFL uniform after the neck/back procedures he's had., let alone as a starting QB.

I don't hate Manning at all. I do find it uncomfortable to call a QB the 2nd or 3rd best this century when he has 9 one and dones in the playoffs.

Would you rather have Kurt Warner or PM during the playoffs?

How about Ben Roethlisberger? Aaron Rogers? Joe Flacco? Drew Brees?

Anyways I don't hate the guy just don't like having him included in a GOAT conversation.

Last edited:
Next Year's commercial could very well go:
Re-tire-ment, you feel sooo good.
hmm, hmm, hmmm, hm hmm hmmm hmmmm,
Or, was the point of the feature to remind us that PM is a true warrior. Kinda dipping into Big Ben's area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes