PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Felger and Murray Cutoff While Complaining About Layoffs at 98.5

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Interesting bit from this article:

They apparently were having a broadcast on Facebook talking about various things and when they mentioned layoffs, they got cut off.

From the article:

“Radio… apparently is in trouble, we’re finding out,” Felger said, with a nod to the recent layoffs at 98.5, which is under the Beasley Media Group umbrella.

A viewer of the Off-Air Show then asked about the layoffs at 98.5, which has been dominating ratings across the board for years.

“Good question, Paul,” Felger responded. “What makes it so frustrating and sobering for us at the station, is that this station could not be more successful.

“You just couldn’t… you can’t get better ratings than we get,” he said.

Murray added, “It’s (expletive) crazy.”

Felger went on to say that 98.5 The Sports Hub is the fifth top-billing station in the country.
---
According to the article, it wasn't long after that the broadcast ended.

It is sort of nuts that even radio is struggling, as that and television seemed to be the two media outlets that were still hanging in there. I know online ads have been a mess for a while now, which is why newspapers and other outlets are dying because aside from subscriptions or help, there are not exactly other options.

Radio has on-demand audio with podcasts and all the extra content that I'm surprised they couldn't monetize since that's at least their thing. Amatuer people are struggling because there aren't a lot of podcast ad networks out there, but everyone is focused on building an audience hoping for a light at the end of that tunnel or maybe a sponsor. Video is where it's at, but that's another challenge in and of itself :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Radio is dying because there are far more listening options to divide listeners from podcasts to Spotify and Apple Music and Pandora. Streaming apps are killing broadcast television too. Both radio and TV are downsizing.

Radio is dying because there are far more listening options to divide listeners from podcasts to Spotify and Apple Music and Pandora. Streaming apps are killing broadcast television too. Both radio and TV are downsizing.
That's true of normal radio, but talk radio has been growing and then benefiting from the same podcast distribution, which all of their shows fall into. So it's been a little strange that someone with the ratings and listenership that 98.5 has garnered that they're in that position, especially when WEEI doesn't seem to be following suit - at least right now.

I agree with television. So many people are moving away from broadcast TV, with so many people cutting the cord, myself included. Definitely crazy how fast that part of things has changed. I actually only have DirecTV for 6-months a year for football because they have a loophole where you can suspend your service for 6 months with no penalty and no monthly cost, so I suspend it every year from February 15th through August 15th.

Hopefully, the AppleTV thing goes through and that goes away, but from recent reports I've read, those talks have stalled. So who knows :rolleyes:

That's true of normal radio, but talk radio has been growing and then benefiting from the same podcast distribution, which all of their shows fall into. So it's been a little strange that someone with the ratings and listenership that 98.5 has garnered that they're in that position, especially when WEEI doesn't seem to be following suit - at least right now.

I don’t know if sports talk is growing or it hasn’t declined as bad as music radio. I think sports talk just has a larger share of a massively shrinking audience.

I agree with television. So many people are moving away from broadcast TV, with so many people cutting the cord, myself included. Definitely crazy how fast that part of things has changed. I actually only have DirecTV for 6-months a year for football because they have a loophole where you can suspend your service for 6 months with no penalty and no monthly cost, so I suspend it every year from February 15th through August 15th.

Hopefully, the AppleTV thing goes through and that goes away, but from recent reports I've read, those talks have stalled. So who knows :rolleyes:

Yeah, the only time I watch broadcast television is for sports. Next year, I won’t even do that since I am moving out of state early next year and there will be an NFL Sunday Ticket streaming package next year.

Yeah, the only time I watch broadcast television is for sports. Next year, I won’t even do that since I am moving out of state early next year and there will be an NFL Sunday Ticket streaming package next year.
LOL, fingers crossed. I want this dish off my roof and all this equipment gone so bad in ways I can't even express. Paying the amount per month when that re-starts ($200+) for channels I don't watch is just ridiculous, and I've been counting down the months since I first found out that DirecTV was finally going to be not renewing.

Needless to say, I really hope the deal doesn't fall through and that we don't end up stuck with having to sign up for a streaming service that's somehow tied to a cable company I/we have to also subscribe to.

LOL, fingers crossed. I want this dish off my roof and all this equipment gone so bad in ways I can't even express. Paying the amount per month when that re-starts ($200+) for channels I don't watch is just ridiculous, and I've been counting down the months since I first found out that DirecTV was finally going to be not renewing.

Needless to say, I really hope the deal doesn't fall through and that we don't end up stuck with having to sign up for a streaming service that's somehow tied to a cable company I/we have to also subscribe to.

There is going to be a streaming version of the Sunday Ticket. That is a given. There is too much money for the NFL to make with a deal. The question is which streaming service will get it.

Felger "summers" on nantucket... its hard for me to believe he really cares about the plight of the peeps who got laid off

There is going to be a streaming version of the Sunday Ticket. That is a given. There is too much money for the NFL to make with a deal. The question is which streaming service will get it.
I'm with you, I'm just concerned that if it isn't Apple, it will be another service provider that requires a cable subscription to access the streaming package.

The hang-up currently apparently centers around the local blackout rules, which as you know means you can't watch it on that and instead have to watch whatever the local channel carrying the game is. Apple doesn't want to be tied to that rule, and the NFL is reportedly sticking with that because their deals with the networks all run through 2030 and that's what the local channels want to make sure remains.

So who knows...I'd prefer Apple ending up with it, but I'm not going to feel good about any of it until the deal is done.

Meh....you want to talk...tune into Patsfans all day and night...you'll get your fill and then some...with no Gasbagarotti squeaking like the little toad man he is...
Yep, can actually get X’s and O’s discussion and insight here, and not just irrational gossip girl takes and low depth “insight” like on 98.5 and EEI

Yep, can actually get X’s and O’s discussion and insight here, and not just irrational gossip girl takes and low depth “insight” like on 98.5 and EEI
EEI in the afternoon may as well be the friggin' View...I really could not care less what Meghan Ottolini has to say about anything in her goofy goona world...Hatefilled Lou is pathological when it comes to the Pats and Fauria's narcissism is an oppressive ,recurring reality.

Felger "summers" on nantucket... its hard for me to believe he really cares about the plight of the peeps who got laid off
I will give credit where credit is due. I was there when Felger was a beat writer with the Herald, and the guy worked hard and certainly invested a lot of time on the radio in between to eventually get that opportunity as well as his television gig. He was also helpful to me on a few occasions and was always great from that standpoint.

While I don't like his schtick on air, knowing the backstory, I do have an appreciation for how he got to where he is.

I’m in the car for long-ish stretches a few times a month. I used to listen to weei and, despite some aggravations, enjoyed it for the most part. It stopped being available in my area, even via app. So I switched to 98.5 and there were times I liked it.

In recent months, it’s been difficult. I just don’t enjoy the content. Like, I get it - they love to play the contrarian. But there were still interesting takes.

I wish they’d cut the BS and talk sports w/o being intentionally obnoxious. Obviously there is an audience for that…

…and while I’m ranting : at times, instead of « going with what the call-ins are bringing to the table », they stick on one theme. It’s lazy. They sometimes seem like they have one idea and that’s all it’s going to be for 3-4 hours.

I dunno. I’d stick to sports radio if it reverted to even 10 years ago’s style…

EEI in the afternoon may as well be the friggin' View...I really could not care less what Meghan Ottolini has to say about anything in her goofy goona world...Hatefilled Lou is pathological when it comes to the Pats and Fauria's narcissism is an oppressive ,recurring reality.
You’re not kidding. That girl’s annoying voice alone combo’d with her token female bimbo takes are enough as is, even before factoring those other two D-bags.

I thought WEEI parent company was filing bankruptcy and yet it's the sports hub with the drama? Damn

• Wow!
Reactions: Ian

Don't kid yourself you'll be paying a ridiculous fee for it whether it goes to stream or another provider only thing is on stream you wont get the other channels.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian
Looks like Beasley’s capital structure may be stressed!

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back