PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Eric Reid signed by the Panthers..

I suppose Belichick has more faith in the safeties than I do. Chung and McCourty both looked a step (or two) slow to me since the latter part of last season, and it seems to have carried over into this season.

Hoping they both step it up a notch ... thought Reid would've been a good signing, he's a damn good player.

And on that note, Tyrann Mathieu didn't command much money this past offseason and is another guy who I would've liked to see here, all the more so now. Versatile, relatively young, smart, instinctive, athletic and aggressive. Checks all the boxes for Belichick, little surprised he wasn't pursued.

Hopefully Dawson is capable of returning this season and contributes.

Kenny Vaccaro has played every defensive snap for the Titans. Tre Boston has played 219 of 225 for the Cardinals. If no team is going to offer substantial money, then significant playing time is the next best thing. With the Panthers’ strong safety going on IR last week, Reid should quickly be a 100% snap count guy in a way that he wouldn't have been with the Patriots.

Last edited:
Kenny Vacarro has played every defensive snap for the Titans. Tre Boston has played 219 of 225 for the Cardinals. If no team is going to offer substantial money, then significant playing time is the next best thing. With the Panther's strong safety going on IR last week, Reid should quickly be a 100% snap count guy in a way that he wouldn't have been with the Patriots.

With the way our safeties have been playing, he could have seen a whole lot of snaps here.

With the way our safeties have been playing, he could have seen a whole lot of snaps here.
Potentially, but the whole point here is that there's essentially no competition for that starting job in Carolina anymore, so there's a significantly smaller risk of signing with a team and then sitting on the bench. He's replacing Colin Jones, who has technically started 14 games in his 7 seasons, but even then has always been taken off the field on passing downs. It's basically like asking whether Reid wants to compete with Pat Chung or Jordan Richards.

Smart move by their Panthers, got by far the BPA at what just became a position of critical need.

As far as the possibility of him signing here, as long as Chung is good to go I've got no problem with Belichick sticking with what we have instead.

I suppose Belichick has more faith in the safeties than I do. Chung and McCourty both looked a step (or two) slow to me since the latter part of last season, and it seems to have carried over into this season.

Hoping they both step it up a notch ... thought Reid would've been a good signing, he's a damn good player.

And on that note, Tyrann Mathieu didn't command much money this past offseason and is another guy who I would've liked to see here, all the more so now. Versatile, relatively young, smart, instinctive, athletic and aggressive. Checks all the boxes for Belichick, little surprised he wasn't pursued.

Hopefully Dawson is capable of returning this season and contributes.
The problem with Matthieu is that he can’t play corner and is way too small to hold up as a safety. His injury issues have started and it won’t get better. Great football player mentality but he just doesn’t have the size to hold up playing the way his brain tells him to, or the skills to play a position he is close to having the size for.

The problem with Matthieu is that he can’t play corner and is way too small to hold up as a safety. His injury issues have started and it won’t get better. Great football player mentality but he just doesn’t have the size to hold up playing the way his brain tells him to, or the skills to play a position he is close to having the size for.
Yeah, pretty much this. For context, people on this board (not me, to be clear) have complained about Chung being undersized, and Chung has 30 pounds on Mathieu. In terms of size, Chung is closer to Kam Chancellor than to Mathieu.

Smart move by their Panthers, got by far the BPA at what just became a position of critical need.

As far as the possibility of him signing here, as long as Chung is good to go I've got no problem with Belichick sticking with what we have instead.
If we were to bring in Reid, I would have have had hopes that he’d be able to play the hybrid LB, big nickel kind of spot. Him being a back safety wasn’t quite the idea I had.

There goes the last best DB who could've been signed with no compensation.

Way to go, oh Fearless Leader.

If we are to assume there was discussion amongst the NEP brain trust on this guy, why did they not sign him?

Considering they bring in top tier citizens like Floyd, Gordon, Haynesworth on a flyer but not Reid because he kneels?

Its not like the D is stacked with talent and with Chung getting up there, Reid would have been a nice piece.

BB the GM just hurt BB the coach.

If we are to assume there was discussion amongst the NEP brain trust on this guy, why did they not sign him?

Considering they bring in top tier citizens like Floyd, Gordon, Haynesworth on a flyer but not Reid because he kneels?

Its not like the D is stacked with talent and with Chung getting up there, Reid would have been a nice piece.

I can only assume that for the cost they didn't think he would meaningfully upgrade a group that already included Chung, McCourty, Harmon, and potentially J.McCourty if they're planning on using him at safety.

And I'm fine with that, given that Chung is practicing again and is presumably fine. Compared to a handful of other positions, I don't think safety is a major priority for upgrade.

It was reported today that he turned down previous offers, so it’s not like he was desperate to just get on an NFL roster. He waited for a good opportunity, and he got one. That doesn’t mean anybody in the Patriots organization did anything wrong.

I can only assume that for the cost they didn't think he would meaningfully upgrade a group that already included Chung, McCourty, Harmon, and potentially J.McCourty if they're planning on using him at safety.

And I'm fine with that, given that Chung is practicing again and is presumably fine. Compared to a handful of other positions, I don't think safety is a major priority for upgrade.

Agreed 100%. I’ve been critical on drafting and DT/LB talent and personnel decisions but whether Dawson is going to factor or not, DT, LB and EDGE are the priorities for defense, not safety. I do think DMac May have lost a step and doesn’t give us a lot of value but the jury is still out. I have this feeling Dawson could be the future DMac

Agreed 100%. I’ve been critical on drafting and DT/LB talent and personnel decisions but whether Dawson is going to factor or not, DT, LB and EDGE are the priorities for defense, not safety. I do think DMac May have lost a step and doesn’t give us a lot of value but the jury is still out. I have this feeling Dawson could be the future DMac

Yeah, I'm in the same boat with McCourty. I've been a longtime defender of his here, but he clearly is a bit slow right now. Maybe he's playing through something, maybe it's the new normal: jury's still out. I hope it's not the new normal, because if it is then he's not providing value equivalent to his pay.

Is there reporting on this? I've not seen anything that indicates a position by BB on the policing protest. Would be interested if their was.

Is there reporting on this? I've not seen anything that indicates a position by BB on the policing protest. Would be interested if their was.
Haven't seen anything. Pure speculation on my part. My hope the reason he is not here is based on financials, system and cultural fit and not because he kneels.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back