OT: Eagles may have violated draft rules with Wentz

Status
Not open for further replies.

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Link:
NFL has no comment on possible violation by Eagles with Wentz/Goff talks

On Thursday, PFT reported that the Eagles secured a verbal commitment from quarterbacks Jared Goff and Carson Wentz that both would accept offsets if the Eagles traded up to No. 2 and made one of them the selection.

Some have suggested that the Eagles violated the rules by engaging in pre-draft discussions with agents representing incoming rookies, pointing out that only the team that holds the first overall pick may negotiate terms before the draft.

The NFL declined comment on the situation. Whether the NFL actually does anything about it becomes a question for the vague, arbitrary process that arises from a habit widespread violations of the rules and limited, selective enforcement.

I wonder what Senator Spector would think about this #integrity if he were still here.

Well the Eagles are not the Rats, but they wear green.

Tough call.

I don't recall Lurie rushing to our defense over WeDon'tUnderstandScienceGate so **** them.

I wonder what Senator Spector would think about this #integrity if he were still here.

Could be wrong, but his last name might be a variant of Inspector.

That would be Biblical.

You always hear about stuff like this in the NFL, then it just kind of goes away. That was my first thought when I saw the articles on spygate - Pats were filming from a location that was against the rules, big deal. I thought it would just go away, just like this infraction is going to go away. All of a sudden it's the worst thing in the world and the Pats are losing a 1st draft pick?? Then deflate-gate, the same thing.

It's amazing how they pounce on any report involving the Pats, even if there's no evidence of wrong-doing.

When it happens to other teams, it's just glossed over like, no big deal.

The NFL and their willing accomplices in the media will sweep this under the rug, but this really pisses me off. It isn't like they were already the #2 pick and talked to those 2 quarterbacks. That would have been bad enough, but what they did was negotiate with those 2 quarterbacks prior to making the decision to consummate the trade.

They were basing a trade on knowledge they had no right to have, not to mentioned the actual selection itself.

Howie Roseman is a slippery dude.

Howie Roseman is a slippery dude.
Oily might be a better term.....
He's Tannenbaum with a better suit.......He got rid of everything associated with Kelly ( save Bradford) and traded the future for Wentz.......They have way too much money invested in one position and it is inevitable that you will soon have a locker room of Team Bradford and Team Wentz......Luckily they are not eligible for Hard Knocks ( rookie coach) because the Eagles would be perfect...because I envision a train wreck coming in slow motion.....
Not to mention that giving out contracts to everybody this past winter left them in a bind capwise ( even worse shape than the Saints if that's possible) Top 51 with draft pool leaves them over the cap by $1 million versus Pats at $5 million cap space for same situation...
Philadelphia Eagles 2016 Salary Cap

You always hear about stuff like this in the NFL, then it just kind of goes away. That was my first thought when I saw the articles on spygate - Pats were filming from a location that was against the rules, big deal. I thought it would just go away, just like this infraction is going to go away. All of a sudden it's the worst thing in the world and the Pats are losing a 1st draft pick?? Then deflate-gate, the same thing. It's amazing how they pounce on any report involving the Pats, even if there's no evidence of wrong-doing.
When it happens to other teams, it's just glossed over like, no big deal

Exactly. Did you hear anyone on TV or radio or read anyone wondering if Matt Ryan wasn't playing as well this year because defenses didn't have to put up with artificial crowd noise? And that rules violation actually happened.

A year or so after spygate, I posted that some other team was going to be caught doing something similar and we'd see what the NFL would do. Since then, we had the Jets filming the Patriots only to find out about the lime green vest rule, which says, as long as you're wearing the right vest, sideline filming is okay. There was zero reaction to that rule by the media. Sideline filming was destroying the fabric of honest competition in 2007, but if you put on a flimsy vest in 2011 it doesn't matter?

There was also the Broncos filming another team's walk-through, something that we heard in 2008 was a huuuggee advantage and couldn't, in any way, be excused by stretching or misinterpreting the rules. This resulted in a $50K for the Broncos. In some warped way, people thought this was bad for the Patriots, since Josh McDaniels was the Broncos coach at the time. That would be like saying spygate was bad for the Browns since Belichick used to be the head coach there.

If anything, any Patriots connection should have resulted in even stiffer penalties for the Broncos since McDaniels should have know better from his NE experience and the Denver organization should have been keeping a close eye on any skirting of the rules. The minimal fine assessed to the team is even more of a joke now that we know from the deflategate penalty that the Patriots are on "permanent parole" in the eyes of the NFL. Somehow, the Broncos past transgressions and McDaniels past were not factors in the punishment for filming a walkthrough.

Oily might be a better term.....
He's Tannenbaum with a better suit.......He got rid of everything associated with Kelly ( save Bradford) and traded the future for Wentz.......They have way too much money invested in one position and it is inevitable that you will soon have a locker room of Team Bradford and Team Wentz......Luckily they are not eligible for Hard Knocks ( rookie coach) because the Eagles would be perfect...because I envision a train wreck coming in slow motion.....
Not to mention that giving out contracts to everybody this past winter left them in a bind capwise ( even worse shape than the Saints if that's possible) Top 51 with draft pool leaves them over the cap by $1 million versus Pats at $5 million cap space for same situation...
Philadelphia Eagles 2016 Salary Cap

Clearly you are closer to the action than I am but as I understand their plan, Bradford is the starter in 2016 and Wentz in 2017 with 0% pressure to do anything this year. Plus cap hit in 2017 if the let Bradford go is minimal

That draft pool # is right? Yikes. I have to assume that they will be do more cap-shaving over the summer.

Who cares? Why do we have to be as petty as the NFL and it's taodies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes