PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT:Deflategate Karma? Neil deGrasse Tyson's 'StarTalk' Shelved at Nat Geo Amid Misconduct Allegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was watching Mr. Robot the other day for the first time. It was thoroughly enjoyable until it came to a segment talking about how all of our heroes are frauds, and lumped Brady in with the likes of Cosby and Lance Armstrong I believe.

It honestly made my blood boil for a minute. DFG is the greatest, most ludicrous farce of all time and anyone associated with perpetuating the false narrative of that bogus scandal hopefully gets their just deserts.

Is Mr. Robot better than the other crap show that the creator of it put out on Amazon with Julia Roberts? Can't recall the show's name off the top of my head, but I got two episodes in and quit because it was out of this world boring.

I was watching Mr. Robot the other day for the first time. It was thoroughly enjoyable until it came to a segment talking about how all of our heroes are frauds, and lumped Brady in with the likes of Cosby and Lance Armstrong I believe.

It honestly made my blood boil for a minute. DFG is the greatest, most ludicrous farce of all time and anyone associated with perpetuating the false narrative of that bogus scandal hopefully gets their just deserts.

As someone who writes software for a living, I can say that Mr. Robot is very much the Big Bang Theory of dramas in that it's dumb people trying to write smart people. It's not worth getting mad over, you just have to realize it's a mediocre show.

Is Mr. Robot better than the other crap show that the creator of it put out on Amazon with Julia Roberts? Can't recall the show's name off the top of my head, but I got two episodes in and quit because it was out of this world boring.

No it's trash

No it's trash

Thanks. The show I was thinking about was "Homecoming." Awful. I have a lot of patience for plot construction, but this was just horribly boring. Do not recommend that, either.

If they are going to talk to someone in science it should be someone with expertise in the ideal gas law. Pick the right experts, FFS.

The IGL is the kind of basic science, like e=mc2, that's taught in high school. Or, it used to be, at least. OTOH, I was recently shocked to learn that ****ens is considered 8th-grade level reading now. ****ens was pretty standard in 6th grade when I was a kid.

Anyway, it's something that pretty much anyone with a science degree "knows", although people working in fields who seldom need to refer to it (e.g., "astrophysics") are probably a little rusty about using it. It's a basic tool, though, so people who design refrigeration systems, or maybe airliner cabins, would likely use it in their work more often and, thus, have more "expertise".

But the people who work with tires apply IGL principles every day, all day long, and implicitly understand the effect of temperature on the pressure of inflated objects. They would know almost immediately that Tyson's original calculation was incorrect. My own mechanic did, and he's not a Patriots fan.

I bet it's great, but not sure, I stopped watching after that.. Brady is an American dream story built from hard work, determination and character and I will not support any narrative to the contrary.

The IGL is the kind of basic science, like e=mc2, that's taught in high school. Or, it used to be, at least. OTOH, I was recently shocked to learn that ****ens is considered 8th-grade level reading now. ****ens was pretty standard in 6th grade when I was a kid.

Anyway, it's something that pretty much anyone with a science degree "knows", although people working in fields who seldom need to refer to it (e.g., "astrophysics") are probably a little rusty about using it. It's a basic tool, though, so people who design refrigeration systems, or maybe airliner cabins, would likely use it in their work more often and, thus, have more "expertise".

But the people who work with tires apply IGL principles every day, all day long, and implicitly understand the effect of temperature on the pressure of inflated objects. They would know almost immediately that Tyson's original calculation was incorrect. My own mechanic did, and he's not a Patriots fan.

Yes, but even F=ma is "simple" physics, but as you probably know that one little simple equation can go a looong way and has lots of interstices that are not obvious, and pitfalls if you go on intuition. That's why I'd trust someone who works with it day in day out and does things like remembers to convert things to correct units all the time rather than someone who thinks they can just see the equation and get the calculations right because it seems simple on its surface. This is where Tyson's hubris bit him on the butt. Simple equations are often not simple in practice in real science.

But you are right: ask your tire guy. They get it.

Confusing gauge pressure (pressure inside of the football relative to the outside air) with absolute pressure, and using the wrong one in the gas law calculation, is a common mistake.

I had done the IGL calculations, the right way, the same day that Kravitz broke the story. I even emailed NdGT the next day to tell him the mistake, which he fixed on social media right away. I'm not sure my email had anything to do with it. he didn't respond and probably got lots of corrections, because it's pretty obvious.

Unfortunately in NdGT's correction he still said that 2 psi pressure drop would not result from the temperature drop alone (which is actually TRUE). Remember, though, at the time everyone believed the bogus allegation by Mort that 11 of 12 balls had a 2 psi pressure drop.

Mort is still the worst in all of this. If he had said the truth, that there was a psi drop a little over 1 psi, it would have matched the IGL calculations and even NdGT's correction of his previous statement would have helped people realize that there was no evidence that anyone took any air out of any football that night. Mort & the NFL rode that lie for at least 2 months, by which time there was no way for facts to sway public opinion.

Confusing gauge pressure (pressure inside of the football relative to the outside air) with absolute pressure, and using the wrong one in the gas law calculation, is a common mistake.

I had done the IGL calculations, the right way, the same day that Kravitz broke the story. I even emailed NdGT the next day to tell him the mistake, which he fixed on social media right away. I'm not sure my email had anything to do with it. he didn't respond and probably got lots of corrections, because it's pretty obvious.

Unfortunately in NdGT's correction he still said that 2 psi pressure drop would not result from the temperature drop alone (which is actually TRUE). Remember, though, at the time everyone believed the bogus allegation by Mort that 11 of 12 balls had a 2 psi pressure drop.

Mort is still the worst in all of this. If he had said the truth, that there was a psi drop a little over 1 psi, it would have matched the IGL calculations and even NdGT's correction of his previous statement would have helped people realize that there was no evidence that anyone took any air out of any football that night. Mort & the NFL rode that lie for at least 2 months, by which time there was no way for facts to sway public opinion.

In order to use any "scientific standard of proof", the initial testing of the footballs by the officials would need to have recorded ...
- the serial# of each football
- the temperature of the air inside each football, by serial#
- the serial# of the gauge used to measure the pressure of each football
- the pressure for each
- a sign-off by the specific officials who performed the measurements

Then, they would have need to perform and record the measurements the same way for the second go-round.

The part of this incident that is never mentioned though, is the fact that Brady's throws in the first half of the AFCCG (using "deliberately deflated footballs") were often wobbly and short, and his stats sucked.

In the second half, after the footballs were inflated to required pressure, Brady played lights-out.

IOW, if the footballs actually were "deliberately deflated", it sound more like an attempt to sabotage the Patriots, rather than to give them an "unfair advantage".

How about the league? They flat out refused to correct the public record when the Pats asked them to. They sent a smirking response. They knew exactly what they were doing.

I take great pleasure in witnessing the downfall of pompous blowhards who dare despise B&B because of what they stand for. Feck all of the haters to Hell, and that right soon.

Rami Malek is a good actor and season 1 was pretty good. Then the novelty wore off and the plot got dumb really fast in season 2 so I stopped watching.

Julia Roberts sucks in every way imaginable. She is a horrible actor and dulls down every role with her predictable low-key, “I’m so very human in this inhuman world” **** show of every role she’s ever been in. My wife watched that show and I wouldn’t. Won’t watch anything with Julia Roberts or Jennifer Anniston, the two worst actors alive.

Best shows right now are Peaky Blinders, Narcos, Black Mirror, and Better Call Saul. Marvelous Miss Maisel is also good if you’re looking for something the ladies like too.

Rami Malek is a good actor and season 1 was pretty good. Then the novelty wore off and the plot got dumb really fast in season 2 so I stopped watching.

Julia Roberts sucks in every way imaginable. She is a horrible actor and dulls down every role with her predictable low-key, “I’m so very human in this inhuman world” **** show of every role she’s ever been in. My wife watched that show and I wouldn’t. Won’t watch anything with Julia Roberts or Jennifer Anniston, the two worst actors alive.

Best shows right now are Peaky Blinders, Black Mirror, and Better Call Saul. Marvelous Miss Maisel is also good if you’re looking for something the ladies like too.

Meh, Anniston is at least nice to look at.

The IGL is the kind of basic science, like e=mc2, that's taught in high school. Or, it used to be, at least. . . . But the people who work with tires apply IGL principles every day, all day long, and implicitly understand the effect of temperature on the pressure of inflated objects. They would know almost immediately that Tyson's original calculation was incorrect. My own mechanic did, and he's not a Patriots fan.

To be fair, Tyson's problem was not a misunderstanding of the IGL, per se, but rather the concept of gauge pressure (specifically, that the gauge registers the pressure above atmospheric pressure, rather than the absolute pressure).

I read that defense and it made him come off creepy and predatory to me. Also, there is an investigation, so it isn't just about he said she said, there is the possiblity of triangulation and examination of evidence in an objective way, examination of credibility etc..

If you read the accounts from the other side, to get a full picture, it doesn't look good for him. I thought this was really good as it addresses some of the racial issues:
Sexual Misconduct Allegations against Neil deGrasse Tyson Reveal the Complexity of Academic Inequality

A couple of things stuck out for me:

And

I have always liked Tyson, as in the US we need more high-quality science popularizers, especially in the internet age. It could be he will be exonerated. More likely he isn't a monster like Weinstein, maybe he will fall into a more gray area. Unfortunately right now things are sort of binary: you are either a horrible misogynist or an Ally. Sort of like discussions of racism tend to fall along binary fault lines. And then discussions become crap because nobody will admit their own biases anymore and say stupid things like white guys older than 60 saying "I am the least racist person you have ever met."

So a black guy allegedly rapes a woman and some how that becomes an older white guy issue?

As an educator of science, deflategate was a great opportunity for him to teach the public basic science. Instead, he screwed up middle school level science and then because of his pride, doubled down on stupid thus hurting the reputation of people who had done nothing wrong. F him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes