PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT:Deflategate Karma? Neil deGrasse Tyson's 'StarTalk' Shelved at Nat Geo Amid Misconduct Allegation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Pain

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Oh my

Neil deGrasse Tyson's 'StarTalk' Shelved at Nat Geo Amid Misconduct Allegations

Remember how he piled on with Bill Nye with their incorrect work "Other high-profile science communicators echoed Orzel’s sentiments as well. Neil deGrasse Tyson, director of the Hayden Planetarium, tweeted that 'For the Patriots to blame a change in temperature for 15% lower-pressures, requires balls to be inflated with 125-degree air.' " At least he later admited he did the math wrong at least. More than Nye or the other folks who fanned the flames did.

This is actually a pretty good article about it from from the The American Physical Society (APS) Early Fumbles in “DeflateGate”

Oh my

Remember how he piled on with Bill Nye with their incorrect work "Other high-profile science communicators echoed Orzel’s sentiments as well. Neil deGrasse Tyson, director of the Hayden Planetarium, tweeted that 'For the Patriots to blame a change in temperature for 15% lower-pressures, requires balls to be inflated with 125-degree air.' " At least he later admited he did the math wrong at least. More than Nye or the other folks who fanned the flames did.

This is actually a pretty good article about it from from the The American Physical Society (APS) Early Fumbles in “DeflateGate”

Nye had a video where he [wrongly] explained his side, but at the end he admitted he was a diehard Hawks fan, so part of it was trolling. What I hate is his pretending to be a scientist. He isn't. In fact he was a comedy sketch performer earlier in a show recorded in, you guessed it, Seattle.

I remember this. Tyson neglected to include 1 atmosphere of pressure in the “P” component of the IGL, which needs to be accounted for at sea level. Basic high school chemistry.

I like him a lot otherwise though, it’s too bad he might be a creep.

Deflategate Karma is like Clint Eastwood at the end of Unforgiven. No one involved in the dirty series of misdeeds has come out of it unscathed. I have a feeling Goodell’s time will come and it will be spectacular. Merely being the clear villain at the end of SB51 wasn’t close to enough vengeance for his role in framing an innocent man.

One thing to remember, though, is that many people were going off of the fake numbers leaked by the NYJFL.

and now...a blast from the past...courtesy of ol' Rog's biggest fan...ME, Joe Kerr

[Intro]
Goodell, you smell
and I wish you'd burn in hell
My Goodell

[Verse 1]
I hate you, I hate you, I hate you
That's all I want to say
Until I find a way
I will say the only words I know that
You'll understand

[Chorus]
Goodell, you smell
My Goodell

[Verse 2]
I need to, I need to, I need to
I need to make you see
Oh, what you've done to me
Until I do I'm hoping you will
Know what I mean

[Chorus]
Goodell, you smell
My Goodell

I was watching Mr. Robot the other day for the first time. It was thoroughly enjoyable until it came to a segment talking about how all of our heroes are frauds, and lumped Brady in with the likes of Cosby and Lance Armstrong I believe.

It honestly made my blood boil for a minute. DFG is the greatest, most ludicrous farce of all time and anyone associated with perpetuating the false narrative of that bogus scandal hopefully gets their just deserts.

Oh my

For being the "smartest man in the room," Neil DeAss Tyson is one excremental bag of hot air.

I remember this. Tyson neglected to include 1 atmosphere of pressure in the “P” component of the IGL, which needs to be accounted for at sea level. Basic high school chemistry.

I like him a lot otherwise though, it’s too bad he might be a creep.

He forgot to use absolute values. Oddly it seems more than a few people forgot to do so including whomever informed F & M . Mazz kept on about how the temperature would have been below zero to lose that many "pounds". What a bunch of bildos. Even after they were made aware of the huge discrepancy they kept on with the equivalent cheater bs although simply switched their evidence from the "pounds" to the "bathroom trip" and the "phone". That's when I stopped listening to that show and others.

Can't tell you how ignorant some of those idiots sounded during that ordeal. "They weighed the balls" "They were missing pounds"

Tyson is boring as hell and likes to be emphatically annoying by doing **** like yellingg at a movie screen about how gravity is working in an impossible way in a movie.

He's a terrific science communicator, but even then, when he reaches outside of astrophysics, he says some outright wrong stuff.

I don't care for him much, if you can't tell haha.

Only dislike this is you’re the big gay...

25c.jpg

Last edited:
I was watching Mr. Robot the other day for the first time. It was thoroughly enjoyable until it came to a segment talking about how all of our heroes are frauds, and lumped Brady in with the likes of Cosby and Lance Armstrong I believe.

It honestly made my blood boil for a minute. DFG is the greatest, most ludicrous farce of all time and anyone associated with perpetuating the false narrative of that bogus scandal hopefully gets their just deserts.

It seems to me that the message is, "Idolize human beings at your own risk."

He forgot to use absolute values. Oddly it seems more than a few people forgot to do so including whomever informed F & M . Mazz kept on about how the temperature would have been below zero to lose that many "pounds". What a bunch of bildos. Even after they were made aware of the huge discrepancy they kept on with the equivalent cheater bs although simply switched their evidence from the "pounds" to the "bathroom trip" and the "phone". That's when I stopped listening to that show and others.

Can't tell you how ignorant some of those idiots sounded during that ordeal. "They weighed the balls" "They were missing pounds"

It's an indictment of media and the belief that most folks seem to have in it, that the people on the mic don't even understand basic sh it like air pressure ("OMG!! Sciency-shi it!!") - to the point where they think they need to ask an "astrophysicist" about it, when their local tire store guy would probably have gotten it right the first time.

It's an indictment of media and the belief that most folks seem to have in it, that the people on the mic don't even understand basic sh it like air pressure ("OMG!! Sciency-shi it!!") - to the point where they think they need to ask an "astrophysicist" about it, when their local tire store guy would probably have gotten it right the first time.

If they are going to talk to someone in science it should be someone with expertise in the ideal gas law. Pick the right experts, FFS.

Interesting come back:

Neil deGrasse Tyson Addresses Sexual Misconduct Claims: "Why Believe Me at All?" says:

"For a variety of reasons, most justified, some unjustified, men accused of sexual impropriety in today’s 'me-too' climate are presumed to be guilty by the court of public opinion. Emotions bypass due-process, people choose sides, and the social media wars begin," he wrote in a lengthy post on his Facebook page. "In any claim, evidence matters. Evidence always matters. But what happens when it’s just one person’s word against another’s, and the stories don’t agree? That’s when people tend to pass judgment on who is more credible than whom. And that’s when an impartial investigation can best serve the truth – and would have my full cooperation to do so."
It's a flowery statement that boils down to "it's he said, she said, and I'm more believable".

Maybe he is the smartest guy in the room?

FFS, equating alleged ball deflation wtih PEDs and rape? WTF? People have lost their ever-loving minds.

Interesting come back:

Neil deGrasse Tyson Addresses Sexual Misconduct Claims: "Why Believe Me at All?" says:

It's a flowery statement that boils down to "it's he said, she said, and I'm more believable".

Maybe he is the smartest guy in the room?

I read that defense and it made him come off creepy and predatory to me. Also, there is an investigation, so it isn't just about he said she said, there is the possiblity of triangulation and examination of evidence in an objective way, examination of credibility etc..

If you read the accounts from the other side, to get a full picture, it doesn't look good for him. I thought this was really good as it addresses some of the racial issues:
Sexual Misconduct Allegations against Neil deGrasse Tyson Reveal the Complexity of Academic Inequality

A couple of things stuck out for me:
he also said, “A few years later…I learned that she had dropped out of the program” and I saw what I believed to be a lie immediately. When I discussed it with my daily Black scientist chat group, they agreed. Would he really have us believe that in the 1980s, in a field where there are almost no Black people, he hadn’t noticed right away that the only other Black graduate student had dropped out of the program? It wasn’t credible.

And

In his Facebook note, Tyson notes that “long after dropping out of astrophysics graduate school, [Amet] was posting videos of colored tuning forks endowed with vibrational therapeutic energy that she channels from the orbiting planets. As a scientist, I found this odd”—as if her spirituality somehow impeaches her believability. It’s ironic that he makes this case while also arguing another sexual harassment accusation comes down to a misunderstood attempt to share “spirit energy.”

I have always liked Tyson, as in the US we need more high-quality science popularizers, especially in the internet age. It could be he will be exonerated. More likely he isn't a monster like Weinstein, maybe he will fall into a more gray area. Unfortunately right now things are sort of binary: you are either a horrible misogynist or an Ally. Sort of like discussions of racism tend to fall along binary fault lines. And then discussions become crap because nobody will admit their own biases anymore and say stupid things like white guys older than 60 saying "I am the least racist person you have ever met."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back