PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Colts and Titans Had "Agreement"

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was a rather profound display of zero reading comprehension on your part...

Haha...yeah, seriously, do people even read before they post? I'm not even asking about the whole thread, just read the FIRST POST and you'd realize the comment was completely off base.

haha, you're dumb mooch.
Anyway, I love how anything that a patriots fan would interpret as slightly questionable gets the whole mob of dumb pats fans here frothing at the mouth about it. Face it guys, you're the kings of rule bending and foul play and you always will be.

For a pirate, you're awful judgemental about morals.

You must be a "different" kind of pirate. The picking up the soap in prison kind.

No, none of those are foul play.

Oh, then you must have meant that we have a receiver that can catch one-handed in double coverage while making the defenders collide into each other. I agree, superhuman abilities have no place in the NFL. Parity should be king.

You don't only get raped from picking up the soap. You can get raped for no reason at all!!

Uh.....yeah.

:slowly backs out of thread:

I don't know what you're trying to get at, I never said the Patriots didn't have an amazing team.

I'm trying to get to the root of this foul play. The public has a right to know.

Dungy is absolutely right on this.

F the rest of the NFL, he is paid to do what is best for the Indianapolis Colts. If he thinks resting his starters and playing 20% throughout a meaningless game (for Indy) in the regular season is in the best interest of his team, more power to him.

And please, stop feeling sorry for the Browns, they had their chance against Cincy and laid an egg. They deserve what they got.

Hey ****** this is not about resting players you gumptard, it's about not playing the game to win it or even at least try to look like your playing to win it. I don't have a single issue with the use of backups, laying down and quiting on the game since it means nothing letting the other team win is a problem and puts the sports integrity into question!

The issue is

One team should NEVER tell another team what play it is going to run (or not run).
It is the perception of true competition thta is the issue.

Thta being said, it will be impossible to prove.

What if Dungy called the timeout?
If the Titans tried a field goal, there is at least a possibility it could be blocked and returned for a touchdown.

The act of telling another team what the strategy is for even one play is against the rules....clearly

but proving it will be impossible

This story is now featured in PFT. Maybe this won't go away like I originally thought.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 3:56 p.m. EST, January 3, 2008

DID TITANS, COLTS COLLUDE?

There's an interesting storm gathering regarding whether and to what extent Titans coach Jeff Fisher and Colts coach Tony Dungy had an agreement as to the manner in which the final snaps of Sunday night's game between their two teams would be handled.

In a Thursday morning appearance on WFAN in New York, Titans quarterback Kerry Collins said that his team took a knee with a six-point lead and less than two minutes to play because it was known that the Colts wouldn't call their final timeout.

"Apparently there was some communication between Jeff and Tony," Collins said.

Said Fisher, according to a Thursday item in the Knoxville (Tenn.) News-Sentinel: "Let me just say, I knew he wasn't going to use [the time out]. Tony and I were on the competition committee for a long time."

Fisher also said that, if the Colts had used the time out after the Titans had taken a knee on third down from the Indy 26, the Colts would have gotten the ball back with roughly 25 seconds to play -- and they would have been trailing by nine points, because the Titans would have kicked another field goal.

Um, Jeff? Ever hear of a guy missing a field goal? Or of a blocked field goal being returned for a touchdown?

According to MSNBC.com, the Browns can file a grievance regarding the apparent collusion between the two teams, since the Browns would have qualified for the postseason if the Colts had defeated Tennessee.

Frankly, the whole thing stinks to us. Down by only six points, the Colts should have done everything in their power to try to get the ball back. Their failure to do so undermines the credibility and integrity of the game.

And it also screwed the Browns out of a chance at the playoffs, since a reverse Music City Miracle would have knocked the Titans out of the postseason.

Besides, why wouldn't the Colts do whatever that had to do to knock a division rival out of the AFC playoffs? Maybe Indy thinks that the Titans have a better chance at winning in San Diego than the Browns, and maybe the Colts prefer an eventual rubber game with Tennessee (if the Titans would win at New England, too) to a match up with a Chargers team that matched up very well with the Colts in Week Fifteen of the 2005 season -- and that beat the Colts again during the 2007 regular season.

Despite the motivation, it was wrong. And, amazingly, even Saint Tony isn't above breaking a rule from time to time.

Last edited:
Guys, what was the agreement supposed to be?

The Titans had the ball on, like the 27 yard line...and up by 6. You know they have that Bironas...the kicker that nailed us last year for 60 yards...

If Coach Dungy calls a timeout, they just sail one through the uprights...and we're down 9 points with something like 16 or seventeen seconds left to make 2 scores...with our 3rd string.

I'd say Dungy agreed to not risk our team's health going for the impossible.

This leads to the issue right here. No problem with you doing things on your own accord to keep your team safe. But in no way is it fair for you to be coming to an agreement with the other coach over something that keeps your team healthy. Not every team has the option of bargaining with the other coach in order to try and keep their team healthy so why should Dungy and Fisher get to do so?

What if the PAts and Giants agreed to take knees for the entire game and end in a tie.......Allowing both teams to stay healthy and allowing the Pats to stay undeffeated. Everyone would calling it BS and worse the NFL fans would have been robbed of one of the better games of the year.

well, this is getting interesting isn't it.....rules are broken only if the Pats break em. For all the crap the Pats had to take regarding the camera, i hope this thing gets some GOOOOD attention.

there is some proof right in this thread that the Colts didn't do everythig nin ther epower to win the game. look at the Play by play at the end of the game.

Frankly, the whole thing stinks to us. Down by only six points, the Colts should have done everything in their power to try to get the ball back. Their failure to do so undermines the credibility and integrity of the game.

colts should be fined and have their draft pick stripped for that

Hey ****** this is not about resting players you gumptard, it's about not playing the game to win it or even at least try to look like your playing to win it. I don't have a single issue with the use of backups, laying down and quiting on the game since it means nothing letting the other team win is a problem and puts the sports integrity into question!

Just wow...

And here I am thinking that not making an 100% effort to win and resting starters was directly correlated. Silly me.

Really, that puts the sports integrity into question? Have you even watched the game? You want to sincerely tell me that those players the Colts had on the field did not want to win the game? Tell that to this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THu7VvAquho

Of course Dungy said he wouldn't call a timeout. Why prolong the game any further? To risk an injury, even if the injured player in question is a 2nd stringer? Grow the f' up, man, don't take the moral high ground and come with this "puts the sport's integrity into question" BS.

hahaha, so much bitterness. Sorry guys, nothing will come of this. Pro football talk is the tabloid of the nfl. Nobody is going to care that batboy has been captured by terrorists.

Ask Michael Vick about that. He ran with that story when few others did until it gained critical mass and Mr. Vick is where he is today....
He's been wrong ( "Moss on the bubble") but as it says, it's a rumor mill.......
After a while even Teflon Tony will suffer some dings and the sh*t will stick. He isn't perfect despite what you've heard.
Maybe it's also time to rotate membership on the competition committee every few years....so you don't get ensconced members who consider it a birthright.

Last edited:
I'm with the Colts on this one. Who cares, really? The Colts are under no obligation to try to win the game.

Why play the game then ? Just forfeit for the rest of the season , at least i would understand.

This story is now featured in PFT. Maybe this won't go away like I originally thought.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 3:56 p.m. EST, January 3, 2008

DID TITANS, COLTS COLLUDE?

There's an interesting storm gathering regarding whether and to what extent Titans coach Jeff Fisher and Colts coach Tony Dungy had an agreement as to the manner in which the final snaps of Sunday night's game between their two teams would be handled.

In a Thursday morning appearance on WFAN in New York, Titans quarterback Kerry Collins said that his team took a knee with a six-point lead and less than two minutes to play because it was known that the Colts wouldn't call their final timeout.

"Apparently there was some communication between Jeff and Tony," Collins said.

Said Fisher, according to a Thursday item in the Knoxville (Tenn.) News-Sentinel: "Let me just say, I knew he wasn't going to use [the time out]. Tony and I were on the competition committee for a long time."

Fisher also said that, if the Colts had used the time out after the Titans had taken a knee on third down from the Indy 26, the Colts would have gotten the ball back with roughly 25 seconds to play -- and they would have been trailing by nine points, because the Titans would have kicked another field goal.

Um, Jeff? Ever hear of a guy missing a field goal? Or of a blocked field goal being returned for a touchdown?

According to MSNBC.com, the Browns can file a grievance regarding the apparent collusion between the two teams, since the Browns would have qualified for the postseason if the Colts had defeated Tennessee.

And it also screwed the Browns out of a chance at the playoffs, since a reverse Music City Miracle would have knocked the Titans out of the postseason.

Besides, why wouldn't the Colts do whatever that had to do to knock a division rival out of the AFC playoffs? Maybe Indy thinks that the Titans have a better chance at winning in San Diego than the Browns, and maybe the Colts prefer an eventual rubber game with Tennessee (if the Titans would win at New England, too) to a match up with a Chargers team that matched up very well with the Colts in Week Fifteen of the 2005 season -- and that beat the Colts again during the 2007 regular season.

Despite the motivation, it was wrong. And, amazingly, even Saint Tony isn't above breaking a rule from time to time.

I think Goodell should come down hard on Dungy for undermining the integrity of the game - especially both coaches positions on the Competition Committee (or in this case, lack of competition)

The fact that Dungy and Fisher admitted to cheating leaves Goodell with no wiggle room.

Of course that would assume he's willing to punish Dungy for cheating and doesn't have different standards for different teams.

Don't worry, I'm sure CBS will take the blame for this also.

For a pirate, you're awful judgemental about morals.

You must be a "different" kind of pirate. The picking up the soap in prison kind.

I just saw this story on PFT and went to this thread to check it out, going to the last page first.

Looks like we've gotten a little off-topic...

I think Goodell should come down hard on Dungy for undermining the integrity of the game - especially both coaches positions on the Competition Committee (or in this case, lack of competition)

The fact that Dungy and Fisher admitted to cheating leaves Goodell with no wiggle room.

Of course that would assume he's willing to punish Dungy for cheating and doesn't have different standards for different teams.

Please show me where either coach admits to anything close to cheating. Fisher said he knew Dungy's coaching style and that he knew Tony would not call a time out. Unless you have read something I haven't seen on this, Tony hasn't made a public comment.

Please show me where either coach admits to anything close to cheating. Fisher said he knew Dungy's coaching style and that he knew Tony would not call a time out. Unless you have read something I haven't seen on this, Tony hasn't made a public comment.

Fisher "knew (Dungy) wasn't going to call a time out"

He didn't say he was taking an educated guess. He knew. And Collins confirms that there was communication between the coaches.

It will be interesting if the Browns file a grievance against the Colts and the subsequent investigation will reveal more - and put Dungy on the spot.

Then we'll see if he's a liar as well as a cheater.

Nice time of the year to have this type of distraction for your team, eh workhorse? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back