PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Clock Ticking on Russell Wilson for the Broncos? - By Ian Logue

Still, someone is going to have to take the fall for Denver’s 0-3 start and it looks like Wilson is potentially going to be that person.

Wilson didn't give up 70 points to the Phins. That said, he's blown chunks in Denver and this season isn't looking much different.

And speaking of blowing chunks, it's hilarious people thought Sean Payton was going to turn things around for that franchise. The same Sean Payton who wasted all of Brees' prime years was supposed to reanimate the corpse of Russel Wilson? Yeah...

It'll be hilarious for all involved when Zach has a longer leash than Russell amongst the QB Wilsons.

I’ve only seen a handful of Bronco games but it looks like Seattle completely fleeced the most pathetic organization in football with a washed Russel Wilson.

Want to feel old? Russel Wilson was a good quarterback 10 years ago.

Reactions: Ian
Wilson's dead cap hits for this season and the following 2; $107M, $85M and $50M.
Every penny of it guaranteed, he isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Wilson's dead cap hits for this season and the following 2; $107M, $85M and $50M.
Every penny of it guaranteed, he isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
And they gave up two firsts, two seconds, and a fifth for that. There hasn’t been a decision this bad since Hitler decided to try to take Stalingrad for name value alone.

Elway is lucky that they haven’t crucified him and left his corpse to decay at that weird ass airport as a reminder to all what happens when you ruin a franchise that badly for the next half decade.

When Wilson's NFL career fades into the sunset, Ciara will leave him and try to get with someone else to stay relevant.

He did NOT throw a pick 6 during the Dolphins game

And they gave up two firsts, two seconds, and a fifth for that. There hasn’t been a decision this bad since Hitler decided to try to take Stalingrad for name value alone.

Elway is lucky that they haven’t crucified him and left his corpse to decay at that weird ass airport as a reminder to all what happens when you ruin a franchise that badly for the next half decade.

George Paton was the GM that traded for Wilson and gave up the extension with $165M in guarantees
I'm all for pissing on Elway but he was removed as GM in 2020.

George Paton was the GM that traded for Wilson and gave up the extension with $165M in guarantees
I'm all for pissing on Elway but he was removed as GM in 2020.
He was the President of Football Operations converting over to a Consultant role when the trade happened. It had to have had his blessing.

He was the President of Football Operations converting over to a Consultant role when the trade happened. It had to have had his blessing.

Pretty clear at the time that Elway's position was more or less in an 'emeritus' role. I don't dispute it probably had his endorsement, the same way my wife's decisions have mine...after they are made.

Paton was given full rein on personnel when he was hired in 2020, it was his trade and he is fully responsible for the preposterous guarantees in that foolish contract.

Pretty clear at the time that Elway's position was more or less in an 'emeritus' role. I don't dispute it probably had his endorsement, the same way my wife's decisions have mine...after they are made.

Paton was given full rein on personnel when he was hired in 2020, it was his trade and he is fully responsible for the preposterous guarantees in that foolish contract.
He was still the President of Football Operations and a consultant for Paton. He was also reportedly involved in a group seeking to buy the organization when it was up for sale. Believing that Elway didn’t know about the deal until after the fact is folly. That’s just not the way the business works. Also remember that Elway had the chance to draft Wilson in 2012, and drafted Osweiler instead.

Regardless, though, both Paton and Elway deserve to be tarred and feathered for this one.

Last edited:

As we all know, years ago, Denver once fleeced a team in the NFC by trading away a QB who would never live up to expectations in exchange for a ransom of draft picks. Granted, prime Russell Wilson was leagues better than Cutler ever was, and this Broncos core is unlikely to equal that 2011 Bears' feat of a Conference Finals berth, but there's nonetheless something deeply poetic about the symmetry of it all. It being to the benefit of Seattle, given the history of SB XLVIII, just adds to it.

And to think, were it not for the Pats being decimated by injuries in 2013 and 2015 (coupled with a horribly called game in November), that vaunted Manning-era Broncos squad likely wouldn't have ever even made it out of the AFC.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back