PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Bucs Fire Lovie Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just not sure which was dumber, hiring him in the first place or firing him after only two years?

Something to be said for cutting your losses but their next hire will be their 4th coach in the past five years.

Three coaches in five years for the Bucs.

mrsthurstonhowelliii.png

This one genuinely surprised me. The team had a rookie QB and showed marked improvement over last year. Granted, it was still only 6 wins, but I really can't imagine expecting much more than 6-10 in Winston's first year.

I'm probably in the minority on this but IMHO the Bucs made a big mistake not giving Schiano another year. Mistake 1.

Though he had some level of success on his resume, the word on Smith has always been iffy. The Bucs probably made a mistake hiring Smith to begin with. Mistake 2.

In fairness to Smith he showed year to year improvement utilizing a rookie (and potential) franchise QB. The circumstances suggest he deserved another year to see what he could do. Mistake 3

Apparently Tampa did not want to lose the OC. Well let's see what he can do. Will it be mistake 4 or will mistake 3 actually end up a 'brilliant decision!'? The Bucs track record does not inspire confidence....

I'm probably in the minority on this but IMHO the Bucs made a big mistake not giving Schiano another year. Mistake 1.

Though he had some level of success on his resume, the word on Smith has always been iffy. The Bucs probably made a mistake hiring Smith to begin with. Mistake 2.

In fairness to Smith he showed year to year improvement utilizing a rookie (and potential) franchise QB. The circumstances suggest he deserved another year to see what he could do. Mistake 3

Apparently Tampa did not want to lose the OC. Well let's see what he can do. Will it be mistake 4 or will mistake 3 actually end up a 'brilliant decision!'? The Bucs track record does not inspire confidence....
Tampa listened to the media and the players and fired schiano.I remember jay glazer who is friends with lovie constantly saying schiano was not popular etc etc and advocating for lovie smith. Lovie is not a good coach but dont know what they expected in 2 yrs. But to be fair, everyone thought schiano had a great team like 49ers before harbaugh and lovie would make them successful.

So what's left available at Gillette? Head of Parking?

stephen a and bomani won't like this.

Tampa listened to the media and the players and fired schiano.I remember jay glazer who is friends with lovie constantly saying schiano was not popular etc etc and advocating for lovie smith. Lovie is not a good coach but dont know what they expected in 2 yrs. But to be fair, everyone thought schiano had a great team like 49ers before harbaugh and lovie would make them successful.

That's right. I live in Tampa and I do recall how media, and reportedly some players, were saying they did not like Schiano. How an owner/GM could be stupid enough to listen to media and make the mistake of listening to some players is beyond me. My sense of it was Schiano was building a Patriot-like organization of a mentally tough team that would play much more mistake free than the average team and win with defense first. Unfortunately for him he had the Freeman thing. A semi-semi-decent QB that behind the scenes was rumored to be a long standing cancer. Media liked Freeman but the word on the street was he does not put the right level of professionalism and time into the job. This was counter to exactly the kind of thing Schiano was trying to build. IMHO the Freeman fiasco helped wash out 2013. 2014, however, I suspected it would be interesting for the Bucs......until they fired him and Lovie came in. It was a Lurie-lite move of replacing the big meanie in Schiano with more of a buddy to the players.

If Lovie didn't sorta suck he might be perfect for the Eagles. Oh wait a minute, Lurie wants love-ability more than anything. Maybe Lovie is perfect for them....

I am not a fan of Lovie and like this move from the Bucs.
Koetter is by far the best Coach of the Team and hopefully the next headcoach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News