PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Brees restructures contract to league minimum

someone poker GIF

The Bucs do indeed have plenty of cap space, relative to the rest of the league.

They also have the fewest players under contract of all 32 teams, by far.

Let's see where they stand after re-signing their own. Historically the NFL loves to poach off of last season's most successful team(s).

There core offensively and defensively should be there 2-3 years before the Great zone retires. All five oline, Evans, AB, Miller, and johnson will be there keeping there offense elite. And defense should have JPP, Vea, Both linebackers , and all of there secondary starters for 2-3 years so Tampa is fine

That's crazy. Guess Brady was smart to pick the Bucs. They can probably win that division until Brady retires with Saints in cap hell and no QB succession plan.
They have that rapist on the bench. Maybe they could bring him back.

I used to believe the Pats could fix those things but I am not sure anymore. Having Cam run the Brady offense was head scratching.
Cam didn’t run the Brady offense.

If he wants Winston to be the starter why did he sit him in the bench and play hill when Brees was injured?
Hill knew the offense better. Remember no off-season. But also Payton saw during those 4 games that Hill is not a starting Qb. He is a gadjet player. The saints writers are saying Payton will make him an offer but Winston's market is heating up.

Hill knew the offense better. Remember no off-season. But also Payton saw during those 4 games that Hill is not a starting Qb. He is a gadjet player. The saints writers are saying Payton will make him an offer but Winston's market is heating up.
Agreed. Also, starting Hill would make it more difficult for opponents to game plan for due to his versatility; especially during short weeks. Element of surprise. Great coaching/gamesmanship by Payton.

For 2021 the Saints have 13 players with cap hits over $10m totaling ~$165m.

Thats 94% of the 2021 cap for 13 players.

I don't think i've ever seen a cap situation that bad before.

Many, many teams are in that situation. I wonder if as a team with CAP we will trade for players and get draft pick compensation just to take the contracts.

There are literally 12-16 teams that can't cut players because of dead money and restructuring with an uncertain cap is really, really dangerous.

It would be interesting to see what the dead money for those 13 players would be. I suppose they can extend most of them but that will just turn one problem into years worth.
overthecap.com has team by team breakdown.

GREAT website

Many, many teams are in that situation. I wonder if as a team with CAP we will trade for players and get draft pick compensation just to take the contracts.

There are literally 12-16 teams that can't cut players because of dead money and restructuring with an uncertain cap is really, really dangerous.
Yea it's going to be pretty interesting how the teams with space are able to take adv of the teams which are in cap hell

Saints are in cap hell. And they didn't even get to a SB between 2017-2020. Won the most games in a four year span without ever actually getting to the dance. That's got to suck if your a Saints fan.

Patriots were up against the cap last year. But they went 3-1 in SB's over a five year period.

It's easier to pay the piper after you've achieved ultimate success. The 2017-2020 Saints will be regarded as underachievers.

Ahhh, I see you're warming up to seeing Jaboo in NE. This is BB's dream pick-up: a former #1 pick, athletic QB with a strong arm and bad habits @ $1M/yr. A BB speciality: a reclamation project. BB will pair him up with Cam and prove to the world that he can win with anyone. BB is a firm believer in St. Jude, patron saint of lost causes.

One problem. He is the antithesis of a belichick qb.
So was Scam, and yet...

Saints are in cap hell. And they didn't even get to a SB between 2017-2020. Won the most games in a four year span without ever actually getting to the dance. That's got to suck if your a Saints fan.

Patriots were up against the cap last year. But they went 3-1 in SB's over a five year period.

It's easier to pay the piper after you've achieved ultimate success. The 2017-2020 Saints will be regarded as underachievers.
Can't wait for your scummy Queefs to be in cap hell too.

So was Scam, and yet...
The guy willing to play for the minimum when you barely have cap room to cover the minimum and the guy you get when you are flush with cap money are 2 very different things

I have been reading rumors that Watt may end up in Tampa. Let Suh go and replace with Watt.
They still only have 31 players signed. Thanks to the SB win, they lost cap space due to NLTBE bonuses being earned and becoming LTBE bonus for the 2021 season (now at 28.5M).

I used to believe the Pats could fix those things but I am not sure anymore. Having Cam run the Brady offense was head scratching.
No such thing as the "Brady offense". It's Belichick's offense. Always has been. Always will be. McDaniels is just the latest OC to be tweaking it.

They still only have 31 players signed. Thanks to the SB win, they lost cap space due to NLTBE bonuses being earned and becoming LTBE bonus for the 2021 season (now at 28.5M).
AB made a $750k bonus with the SB win.

There core offensively and defensively should be there 2-3 years before the Great zone retires. All five oline, Evans, AB, Miller, and johnson will be there keeping there offense elite. And defense should have JPP, Vea, Both linebackers , and all of there secondary starters for 2-3 years so Tampa is fine

The Bucs have 31 players signed with $28.5M in free cap space.

Lavonte David is a UFA this year. He just showed that he's still playing at an ELITE level. It remains to be seen what his choice is going to be.

Antonio Brown, Chris Godwin, Gronkowski, and Fournette are all UFA this season. As is Suh and the aforementioned David. Help me understand how you think they can sign all these players to market deals. I mean, Gronk hasn't ever taken a less than market deal. Brown's deal was below market value, but do you honestly think he's going to re-sign for that? I know there are rumors that the Bucs are going to try and re-sign Godwin to a long-term deal, but that will happen only if he's willing to put off receiving a majority of his funds until 2022.

AB made a $750k bonus with the SB win.
Brady and Gronk also made bonuses. Hence why they are down to 28.5million in Cap space. And also why those will be LTBE bonuses for 2021 for all 3 players unless Brown and Gronk are with another team.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back