PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Brady Quinn signs

Status
Not open for further replies.
So where's all the hatred of JaMarcus Russell for not signing his contract that we saw for Brady Quinn..? I predicted Quinn would be in camp by the same time Leinart was last year... it turns out I was wrong, he arrived 2 weeks earlier than Leinart did.

Oh yeah, that's right... Russell didn't play for Notre Dame - you know, the team that no one on this board hates... :rolleyes:

I agree you can't say a QB was not great because he never won a championship.

If anyone tells me Marino was not a great Quarterback I would suggest they go to a psychiatric ward for mental issues.

Marino unfortunately did not play defense so that was his downfall,He never had a defense that could carry thier side of the equation for a SB championship team,He certainly had the talent and the offense to crush anyone.

I hate Marino and think he is a jerk but you must respect the play he showed us for so many years and is considered one of the greatest QBs to play the game or you simply don't know football.

Here is my problem with Quinn, and transitivley most of the first round draft picks that hold out. The money they are holding out for ammounts to 1 or 2% of their overall contract, sure it's a lot of money, but it's nothing compared to thier overall potential earnings. If Quinn comes in and plays well for the Browns he is never going to see years 4-6 of his rookie contract. the team would extend him or give him a new deal after the thrid year.

But by holding out there is little chance that he can play this year until at least late October, and in the process has done very little to endear himself to his team mates and the fans. Now the door is open for Chralie Frye to play well enough to keep the job and Quinn could be SOL. Also, since he held out for more money, there is going to be more pressure on him to perform when he gets in there.

I don't really blame these kids for wanting to get the most money they can. But they are getting bad advice from the vultures that represent them.

Exactly. Rookie year early and full training camp experience has a major impact on 1st year performance. Seems like a bad career decision to hold out unless it's for exceptional reasons. Not in this case.

These rookies are already slotted a certain amount of money. Holding out in the majority of situations is stupid and (of course) greedy.

If Quinn wanted years 3+ to be substantially higher because he will be the starting QB, they should make it performance based. Base it on pro bowls, playoffs, QB rating, etc. It shouldn't be just because he's starting. Rookie contracts are just that -- contracts for rookies. You make a crap load of money without having set foot in an NFL game. Maybe the contract isn't set up the way you want, but you can fix that when you do your 2nd, non-rookie contract.

I know all these players are allowed to do what they want -- hold out, wait a year and re enter the draft, etc. Just because someone can do something doesn't mean it's right.

I am really sick of these players lying through there teeth about this stuff. "I'd really like to be in camp", "It's not about the money, it's about respect", "Football is the most important thing to me", etc. They should just say the truth, "All I care about is squeezing every last dime out of the team. I care more about money than the team, the fans and my teammates." It's their right to feel that way and act on it. I just get sick of them lying about it.

Of course, there are plenty of players that worship more than money. Just like the Vicks and pacmans, the good players are too often overshadowed by the greedy ones.

Of course, I am in no way advocating players letting themselves be screwed over by teams. There are times when a team will try that, and I am all for the player when this happens.

Last edited:
No that is your assumption not mine.

Not at all. My assumption is that you have poor reading skills (whether deliberate or not, I don't know). I base this assumption on your inability to read posts properly. When I wrote:

That's my whole point. Manning couldn't handle Florida, but he's handling the NFL just fine.
Yesterday 05:05 PM

Your response was to simply say

One Championship in 10 years.

Apparently you can't grasp the lingo. Peyton Manning will go down as one of the best quarterbacks to have ever played in the NFL. A failure to win a Super Bowl would not have prevented him from doing so. Dan Marino handled the NFL just fine, despite never winning it all. Manning has been handling the NFL despite his struggles with Florida in college.

Brady Quinn managed to put up an average of around 21 points per game against LSU, Ohio State and USC. His "struggles" in those games will no more prevent him from being a quality quarterback in the NFL than did Manning's struggles against Florida.

I really don't care if Quinn becomes a legitimate talent or a bust, and I don't care who likes him and who hates him. But, if you're going to bash the kid, do it for valid reasons.

Last edited:
There is no need to attack me. Secondly, I have a right to my opinion just like anyone on this board. and if you don't care who likes him and who doesn't then why are you defending quinn.

There is no need to attack me. Secondly, I have a right to my opinion just like anyone on this board. and if you don't care who likes him and who doesn't then why are you defending quinn.

I'm not attacking you. You have spent post after post completely missing the point, even when I actually used the phrase "That's my whole point.". Therefore, I have to assume that you have reading issues. As for your right to an opinion, of course you've got that. However, your argument is an invalid one. As I noted, Notre Dame put up over 21 points per game in the 4 games against Ohio State, LSU and USC that I saw over the past 2 seasons. Arguing that he won't make it in the pros on the basis of those 4 games is ridiculous when a player like Peyton Manning has been able to make it in the pros despite losing to the Gators 3 times. Both Quinn and Manning were playing against teams that were much better player for player than the team they were on. Again, Quinn may bust, but those games aren't peeks into a crystal ball.

As for why I defend Quinn, I hate seeing stupid arguments made when they are pretty clearly just excuses to attack players. You equated Quinn with Ryan Leaf, for crying out loud.

Last edited:
I don't think he's a bust, but he sure isn't very team oriented when it comes to the salary cap and the flexibility he doesn't give his team.

Since Manning signed his contract in 2004, the Colts have won more regular season games (38) than any other team in the NFL, are tied for first with the Pats with the most postseason wins (6), tied for first with the Patriots and the Steelers with most Super Bowl wins (1), tied with the Patriots and the Seahawks with division titles (3), won more games (44) than any other team. If Manning's contract had limited the Colts' flexibility, how was the above possible?? Or how have the Colts been able to extend Harrison, Wayne,Freeney, Mathis, Diem, Brock, and Brackett?? Sign Simon late in 2005??Or trade for McFarland in 2006?? Use the LTBE move on a couple of players in 2006??

This year the Colts have been around 3 to 4 million under the cap for most of the 2007 league year which was certainly enough room to sign big-name free agents if they wanted to, especially since they had to know that they would be releasing Simon after June 1st.

Brady, Seymour and Samuel (though unsiged) have just as much cap space eaten up as Manning, Harrison and Freeney (and Miguel will correct me if I am wrong).

Actually, the Patriots trio take up less cap space than the Colts trio.

I hate to repeat myself but I do not get why people focus so much on how much cap space transcendent players like Brady, Manning and Seymour take up. Those 3 players, IMO, make the players around them better.

I have nothing very new to say, but let me add another voice saying:

Brady Quinn is a dufus who overvalues himself greatly, and puts the team second. He might not be a bust, but if he is, I will enjoy the ride.

From my quick view of the blogs and news, Brady continues to talk, now how he should be the starting QB.. compare to how a rookie handles themselves in the Pats org.. come on Romeo take some control here.. sit the boy down and have a serious heart to heart.. time will tell if he is flapping his jaws or if he is the real thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore