PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Brady Quinn signs

Status
Not open for further replies.
dabruinz,

I did not bring up the point about Manning and Florida another poster did. Does Quinn have control over what division he plays no he doesn't.

Even 10 years ago: the SEC was pretty stacked with talent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_NFL_Draft

Hmm.. it was, was it???

Manning, Taylor, Spikes, Alan Faneca, Samari Rolle. So, 5 players in the 1st 61 who did anything in the league happened to be from the SEC and that makes that division the closest thing to NFL talent?

Yes, its your opinion. From looking at that list, they have a decent number of players drafted. But there are plenty of players drafted from other conferences also.

To say that any one college division is head and shoulders above another all the time, is just silly. Its cyclical. Just like Notre Dame used to be one of the best football schools, but hasn't been in awhile.

Its stupid to compare a college QB to ANY professional athlete and to even put Quinn in a combo of Brady and Manning is not just stupid its ludicrous,Brady and Manning type players come once a decade if that.

Really? Its ludicrous to compare the work habits of them? Because that is what I READ in the Weis article on Brady Quinn.

I HEARD IT from his mouth on Sirius NFL Radio back in March and tohught it was more than a dumb statement.

Weis should just shut his mouth,Maybe say he expects Quinn to have a great career and leave it at that,Make Quinn be the one to shut anti-quinn guys like me up or show how stupid you are to have beleived Weis words - One of us will be wrong proven in a few years.

I have not referred to Weis' propoganda prior to the draft. On the contrary, I was referring to the article in ESPNEWS where he talked about Quinn's work habits and how he felt if Quinn kept it up he could see Quinn progressing the same way as Manning and Brady.

All that will be proven for me is whether or not I think its ludicrous for people like yourself to rip guys like Quinn for things that they had no control over.

I have taken a wait and see attitude about Quinn. You really should re-read what I have said because no where have I said otherwise.

Hmm.. it was, was it???

Manning, Taylor, Spikes, Alan Faneca, Samari Rolle. So, 5 players in the 1st 61 who did anything in the league happened to be from the SEC and that makes that division the closest thing to NFL talent?

Yes, its your opinion. From looking at that list, they have a decent number of players drafted. But there are plenty of players drafted from other conferences also.

To say that any one college division is head and shoulders above another all the time, is just silly. Its cyclical. Just like Notre Dame used to be one of the best football schools, but hasn't been in awhile.

How about Robert Edwards & Corey Chavous? It did take Manning almost 10 years to win his first championship. ( and yes I can not stand him) I feel as though the ACC is coming along with its recent changes, but I think the closest thing to NFL football in college is the SEC. (Rivalries and its support) again JMO.

Really? Its ludicrous to compare the work habits of them? Because that is what I READ in the Weis article on Brady Quinn.

I have not referred to Weis' propoganda prior to the draft. On the contrary, I was referring to the article in ESPNEWS where he talked about Quinn's work habits and how he felt if Quinn kept it up he could see Quinn progressing the same way as Manning and Brady.

All that will be proven for me is whether or not I think its ludicrous for people like yourself to rip guys like Quinn for things that they had no control over.

I have taken a wait and see attitude about Quinn. You really should re-read what I have said because no where have I said otherwise.
The ONLY thing I can agree with you in the last 2 pages is the fact that you,me and Warren94 and a million other Quinn Bashers/Supporters will find out if the Browns have a Lexus or a Dodge and if Weis can truly know his teams NFL future talent or he is a blowhard...see me in 2010 and we can talk more about this,maybe sooner if Quinn gets cut before then;)

Oh I pay attention. Who won the National Championship in 1998?

Tennessee

what division are they in?

SEC

And Manning was quarterback, thus proving he could make it in the NFL, right?

Say, how many Super Bowl rings as a starter does Tee Martin have now, anyway?

Last edited:
Conference superiority is cyclical, but the SEC is presently the elite talent source and has always been amongst the best. Honestly, competition rivals that of the pro leagues.

The argument of whether or not Quinn benefited his teammates or was augmented by them is a good one. Personally, I'm not sold on him. I see him as being a capable NFL QB, but I wouldn't bet the farm on him becoming a top-5 stud.

What worries me more than the many bad throwing decisions, long times to take them, and the often rather un-inspiring execution, is his mentality. His pouting at the draft, posturing during negotiations, and his faux confidence leading up to it all is Leaf-esque (as discussed earlier), though I won't sign on to that assessment completely. He does seem to take for granted that his future has been ordained. That can be dangerous, particularly for a leadership position. It can also be a mode of success, too, but how many Alexander the Greats have there been and how many Todd Marinovichs?

Last edited:
This year is not 10 years ago when Peyton was there. And that is what I am referring to. You mentioning NOW has nothing to do with ANYTHING.

And you still haven't explained how its Quinn's fault that Notre Dame remains one of a very few unaffiliated D1 schools.

Here's Peyton's draft: 1/3 of all the first rounders played in the SEC. Including tow stud LB Brookings and Spikes. The SEC consistenly has the most talent in the NCAA.

1st Round Picks: 1998
PK(OVR) TEAM NAME POS SCHOOL
1(1) Indianapolis PEYTON MANNING QB TENNESSEE -sec
2(2) San Diego RYAN LEAF QB WASHINGTON STATE
3(3) Arizona ANDRE WADSWORTH DE FLORIDA STATE
4(4) Oakland CHARLES WOODSON DB MICHIGAN
5(5) Chicago CURTIS ENIS RB PENN STATE
6(6) St. Louis GRANT WISTROM DE NEBRASKA
7(7) New Orleans KYLE TURLEY OT SAN DIEGO STATE
8(8) Dallas GREG ELLIS DE NORTH CAROLINA
9(9) Jacksonville FRED TAYLOR RB FLORIDA -sec
10(10) Baltimore DUANE STARKS DB MIAMI (FLA.)
11(11) Philadelphia TRA THOMAS OT FLORIDA STATE
12(12) Atlanta KEITH BROOKING LB GEORGIA TECH-sec
13(13) Cincinnati TAKEO SPIKES LB AUBURN-sec
14(14) Carolina JASON PETER DT NEBRASKA
15(15) Seattle ANTHONY SIMMONS LB CLEMSON
16(16) Tennessee KEVIN DYSON WR UTAH
17(17) Cincinnati BRIAN SIMMONS LB NORTH CAROLINA
18(18) New England ROBERT EDWARDS RB GEORGIA-sec
19(19) Green Bay VONNIE HOLLIDAY DT NORTH CAROLINA
20(20) Detroit TERRY FAIR DB TENNESSEE -sec
21(21) Minnesota RANDY MOSS WR MARSHALL
22(22) New England TEBUCKY JONES DB SYRACUSE
23(23) Oakland MO COLLINS OT FLORIDA-sec
24(24) NY Giants SHAUN WILLIAMS DB UCLA
25(25) Jacksonville DONOVIN DARIUS DB SYRACUSE
26(26) Pittsburgh ALAN FANECA OG LSU-sec
27(27) Kansas City VICTOR RILEY OT AUBURN-sec
28(28) San Francisco R.W. MCQUARTERS DB OKLAHOMA STATE
29(29) Miami JOHN AVERY RB MISSISSIPPI
30(30) Denver MARCUS NASH WR TENNESSEE-sec

The ONLY thing I can agree with you in the last 2 pages is the fact that you,me and Warren94 and a million other Quinn Bashers/Supporters will find out if the Browns have a Lexus or a Dodge and if Weis can truly know his teams NFL future talent or he is a blowhard...see me in 2010 and we can talk more about this,maybe sooner if Quinn gets cut before then;)

My stance is that people have blown WAY out of proportion Quinn's contract demands. I think it was very reasonable of him to want an increase in his salary in the last 3 years of his contract based on what the Browns and his own expectations are for his performance.

I think that Quinn has the potential to be a very good QB, potentially even an excellent one. But, it will be a LOT of hard work on his part. Does he have the potential to be a bust? Sure does. Just like every other player drafted.

I think that, at worst, Quinn ends up being another Jon Kitna type QB. But a LOT depends on how the coaching staff brings him along in Cleveland.

And Manning was quarterback, thus proving he could make it in the NFL, right?

Say, how many Super Bowl rings as a starter does Tee Martin have now, anyway?

I don't think Manning was on that National Championship team. I believe it was Tee Martin.

Here's Peyton's draft: 1/3 of all the first rounders played in the SEC. Including tow stud LB Brookings and Spikes. The SEC consistenly has the most talent in the NCAA.

1st Round Picks: 1998
PK(OVR) TEAM NAME POS SCHOOL
1(1) Indianapolis PEYTON MANNING QB TENNESSEE -sec
2(2) San Diego RYAN LEAF QB WASHINGTON STATE
3(3) Arizona ANDRE WADSWORTH DE FLORIDA STATE
4(4) Oakland CHARLES WOODSON DB MICHIGAN
5(5) Chicago CURTIS ENIS RB PENN STATE
6(6) St. Louis GRANT WISTROM DE NEBRASKA
7(7) New Orleans KYLE TURLEY OT SAN DIEGO STATE
8(8) Dallas GREG ELLIS DE NORTH CAROLINA
9(9) Jacksonville FRED TAYLOR RB FLORIDA -sec
10(10) Baltimore DUANE STARKS DB MIAMI (FLA.)
11(11) Philadelphia TRA THOMAS OT FLORIDA STATE
12(12) Atlanta KEITH BROOKING LB GEORGIA TECH-sec
13(13) Cincinnati TAKEO SPIKES LB AUBURN-sec
14(14) Carolina JASON PETER DT NEBRASKA
15(15) Seattle ANTHONY SIMMONS LB CLEMSON
16(16) Tennessee KEVIN DYSON WR UTAH
17(17) Cincinnati BRIAN SIMMONS LB NORTH CAROLINA
18(18) New England ROBERT EDWARDS RB GEORGIA-sec
19(19) Green Bay VONNIE HOLLIDAY DT NORTH CAROLINA
20(20) Detroit TERRY FAIR DB TENNESSEE -sec
21(21) Minnesota RANDY MOSS WR MARSHALL
22(22) New England TEBUCKY JONES DB SYRACUSE
23(23) Oakland MO COLLINS OT FLORIDA-sec
24(24) NY Giants SHAUN WILLIAMS DB UCLA
25(25) Jacksonville DONOVIN DARIUS DB SYRACUSE
26(26) Pittsburgh ALAN FANECA OG LSU-sec
27(27) Kansas City VICTOR RILEY OT AUBURN-sec
28(28) San Francisco R.W. MCQUARTERS DB OKLAHOMA STATE
29(29) Miami JOHN AVERY RB MISSISSIPPI
30(30) Denver MARCUS NASH WR TENNESSEE-sec

I stand corrected. Thanks FTW...

I don't think Manning was on that National Championship team. I believe it was Tee Martin.

Prior to the SB Manning was handed by the NFL, it was my understanding that he had never won a championship game at any level. Which led to the idea that Manning folded in pressure situations.

absolutely agree. I enjoy your insight dabruinz.

Brady Quinn has agreed to a five-year contact with the Cleveland Browns worth $20.2 million, with $7.75 million guaranteed, ending his holdout.

The deal could grow to $30 million over five years with incentives.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp07/news/story?id=2964653

Seems to be much more reasonable that what Jamarcus Russell wants out in Oakland.
Now that Quinn has signed, we can expect a flurry of 1st rounders being signed including our own Meriweather. After all, according to many of the people in here, it was Quinn who was singlehandedly holding up the entire list of 1st rounders from signing contract with their teams.

Isn't that right, fellas..?

That's my whole point. Manning couldn't handle Florida, but he's handling the NFL just fine.

One Championship in 10 years.

true or false. in all major sports you are judged by winning a championship. Manning finally won a championship after 10 years.

I don't think he's a bust, but he sure isn't very team oriented when it comes to the salary cap and the flexibility he doesn't give his team. The colts had the worst D last year, however peaked at the right time.

true or false. in all major sports you are judged by winning a championship. Manning finally won a championship after 10 years.

I don't think he's a bust, but he sure isn't very team oriented when it comes to the salary cap and the flexibility he doesn't give his team. The colts had the worst D last year, however peaked at the right time.

Stop changing the subject to titles. It's a simple thing. Manning struggled against Florida but became clearly one of the 2-3 best quarterbacks in today's NFL. Therefore, to claim that Quinn can't make it just because he "struggled" with Ohio State (20 points), USC (21 and 31 points) and LSU (14 points) is simply nonsensical and searching for an excuse. He may bust out of the league, but it won't be because he 'only' put up a little more than 21 points per game against 3 of the best teams in College football while he was quarterbacking a woefully undermanned Notre Dame football team.

Last I looked, there are numerous players in the Hall of Fame who have NEVER won a Championship. But they are still considered that amongst the best players to EVER play the game.

As for Manning's cap number, Miguel has been quite adept at pointing out to everyone that Manning's cap number is no more restrictive than Brady's.
And, looking at a bigger picture, Brady, Seymour and Samuel (though unsiged) have just as much cap space eaten up as Manning, Harrison and Freeney (and Miguel will correct me if I am wrong).

We all know that Manning shouldn't have been there in the SB this past year, but that some ignorant calls and non-calls were made by the referees. That doesn't change the fact that Manning is still a damn good (though arrogant and egotistical) QB. Karma WILL bite him. And his time may be this year. Especially with a new LT and the depth at RB being very thin for the Colts. Not to mention along their defensive front.

I know many people feel that way but I don't. I never liked Dan Marino, but I don't think out of all the players who played for the Dolphins while he played, he should be judged as a lessor QB because his team didn't win a SB.
He was a great QB. A QB can blow a SB, but they don't win it by themselves.

Having watched Brady Quinn play some games at ND, I didn't feel he was that great a QB, but I don't recall thinking Tom Brady looked that good in college either. And apparently NFL teams didn't think he looked that good either. I guess they did think Quinn looked pretty good or he would have been taken in the 6th round, too. What he got for money, hey, if both sides agree, I have nothing to do with how that turns out. I do wonder if at some point vets aren't going to push for a different rookie scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes