PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT : 40 teams

Is that important ? I’m North American, but not from the US…. There are other non-USA fans on here. Most other popular sports cross borders.

Would prefer to keep all teams in the US. International fans are welcome to follow the league, of course.

Rogers Center/ Skydome is not an NFL caliber stadium today. They’d have to build a new one and who knows how well that would be taken by the city.
toronto would effectively kill buffalo

At that point, just make 2 smaller leagues with relegation.
I think 36 would make more sense than 40; you could have a main league of 24 as 4x6 and a relegation league of 2x6.

Would prefer to keep all teams in the US. International fans are welcome to follow the league, of course.
Honesty is a good quality. There is no need to pursue this avenue, but the answer is telling.

Barrington, RI has plenty of money and boredom… bring on the Boringtons!

Honesty is a good quality. There is no need to pursue this avenue, but the answer is telling.

Look there is nothing wrong with keeping the game in America. I don't have hatred for the rest of the world, but I just prefer to keep the game here. If the game must go international, I would rather see teams in Canada or Mexico so as to eliminate European travel.

I would LOVE this. And it would essentially create a minor league system too. You would then have the little cities trying to make the big leagues. It would be great, though it will never happen.
You'll end up mirroring soccer where smaller teams effectively become feeder teams for the larger, financially powerful teams.

Aside from the QB dilution, there would be a serious fan base dilution. Other than St Louis, what American city--even small city--isn't already full of fans for another franchise. Any new American team would be the Chargers, a team with tepid local support.

I suppose they could go international and put teams in London, Mexico City, Pyongyang, Tehran, etc.
You left out Walla Walla, Washington. :D

A 40-team league, the watering down would be horrific. But just what you could expect from gotohell.

But If it had to, happen….They talk about 8 5-team divisions. Yuck.

i like the 4-Team divisions.

One 4-team division in Europe would be somewhat doable. London-2, Frankfurt and ?Manchester/Madrid/Amsterdam? Then they play alternating 2 weeks in a row in Europe and 2-week USA road trip.

I don't want 33 teams, never mind 40.

You're gonna get diminishing returns the more you water down the league. All the previously mentioned points are valid. There are too many bad QBs as it is. There are too many deeply entrenched fan bases to just keep throwing teams into every metro area. The international cities are too far away, how is a London team going to stay competitive playing overseas 8 - 9 games a year, or when it plays against a western division and has to travel across 9 time zones?

Another issue is fan hopelessness and loss of interest. 2021 has been a great year for parity so far, but how many of these teams really have a chance? By the time the divisional round arrives, won't we be looking at the same list of usual suspects - Kansas City, New England, Buffalo, Baltimore, Green Bay, The Rams, Tom Brady? Parity in this league is a myth. Wins are monopolized by a small cluster of well run, well coached organizations. Every year or two a new team crashes the party, but it is a slow, slow turnover. The flipside is the losing, in the 21st century NFL a team is just likely to find itself in a decade or more of soul-crushing ineptitude as it is to win a Super Bowl, and that's with 32 teams. Reality is, the next decade of this league is going to be owned by Brady, Mahomes, Jackson, Jones, maybe Kyler Murray. Everyone else is an also ran.

The league has already had to relocate 3 teams over the past 5 years, and Buffalo was nearly a fourth until they finally got it together. Are fans in London, or San Antonio, or St. Louis going to keep watching when their teams go 25 -94 over their first seven years?

You'll end up mirroring soccer where smaller teams effectively become feeder teams for the larger, financially powerful teams.

Don't expand the main league. Allow each team to have an actual farm team - roster of 30 - 40. Cap ticket prices so a family of 4 can easily attend. Drop the PS. TV/Radio deal - encourage the networks to use these games as broadcaster training.

Quick peek here tells you everything you need to know, I guess. This list of backup QBs is horrendous. Some have even proven horrid lately (Colt McCoy lost to Cam, for example). There are not even 20 really good QBs imo. Finding 40 (plus another 8-10-12 when injuries occur) would be quite an adventure.

:oops: isnt Barrington a dry town?
Not anymore! We have two liquor stores and five restaurants that serve booze. Some claim that the laws changed when I moved back, but I think it is a coincidence.

Not anymore! We have two liquor stores and five restaurants that serve booze. Some claim that the laws changed when I moved back, but I think it is a coincidence.

Home of the Barrington Uppercrusts

But, who's counting?

I can't really see a need to expand. 32 teams seems about right. The only US cities that would really make any sense would be San Antonio. Good Luck getting Jerrah and the Cardinals to agree to that. Nobody is going to invest in Mexico right now, that country is in shambles. I wouldn't be shocked if Lord Humongus was their next leader. But San Antonio would draw the Mexican fans without having to deal with the Mexican government (or lack thereof).

Unless you want to crush the CFL, Canada doesn't seem to be a good spot, plus the weather. So Fi is only 120 miles from San Diego, so I don't think a team is going back to San Diego anytime soon. The league might have to give St. Louis a franchise, if they do, then San Antonio will get one too. Goodell will have to pony up all kinds of money to make Jerrah happy before that happens.

So I would say the Max would be 34 teams, but then what would do with the divisions? Right now the NFL has 8 divisions each with 4 teams. IF they have to give a team to St. Louis, it would be easier to move the Chargers or the Jags there.

Rome Gladiators
Milan Workers
Athens Solars
Zurich Chocolates
Madrid BullFighters
Wien Hasburgs
Stockholm Vikings2
Copenaghen Vikings3
Oslo Vikings4

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye