PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Only in Boston and Weei

Status
Not open for further replies.
Youkilis would be a disaster in RF at Fenway. He could play LF at home but it would be a stretch in road games. Ideally I'd love that to happen because we need another RH bat and when Ortiz is gone after this year you can rotate Youkilis, Beltre, and Gonzales at DH.

J.D Drew, by every defensive metric know to man, is, at the very least, an above average defensive RF. I don't really know how he got this reputation for being a lousy defender. He doesn't have elite speed or a rifle in his right arm, but he makes very quick and accurate reads right off the bat, which allows him to get to the spot of the ball very quickly.

He is the anti-Ellsbury in that regard. Jacoby looks like a star in CF, but he makes tremendously poor reads on balls and has to count on his elite speed to make adjustments. It seems pretty on TV, but his technique is really bad. He makes flashy plays though, and that's the reason people watch him and think "great fielder".

Last edited:
J.D Drew, by every defensive metric know to man, is, at the very least, an above average defensive RF. I don't really know how he got this reputation for being a lousy defender. He doesn't have elite speed or a rifle in his right arm, but he makes very quick and accurate reads right off the bat, which allows him to get to the spot of the ball very quickly.

He is the anti-Ellsbury in that regard. Jacoby looks like a star in CF, but he makes tremendously poor reads on balls and has to count on his elite speed to make adjustments. It seems pretty on TV, but his technique is really bad. He makes flashy plays though, and that's the reason people watch him and think "great fielder".

Yeah Drew is serviceable and takes good routes, Youkilis though would be a disaster in right. Agree about Ellsbury too, takes god awful routes but is quick enough to get to the ball and make a routine catch look great.

Felger & Mazz are focusing on the Gonzalez trade, too. It's not just WEEI.

So, he's a $14 million per year guaranteed contract ballplayer who, in your estimation is an "above average" defensively even though he doesn't have great speed or a good arm. He has averaged .273 with 19 hrs and 66 rbi's the 4 years his contract has held the Red Sox hostage.

I'm so sorry I'm not a big MLB fan anymore. That's inspiring.

Thanks, I'll stick to the NFL and the New England Patriots.

Last edited:
The bottom 4 in that batting lineup is pure crap.

The Patriots would never put out a team with such lousy depth.

I am not sure about total crap, but I hear you...there is still more work to be done...

Drew is a solid hitter. Especially in the 6 hole. 2, 3 or 5 hole, maybe not so. And an above-average fielder. He makes easy plays on some balls most outfielders don't even get to.

McDonald - We definitely have needs in LF.

Saltalamacchia - Not sure why everyone is so down on him. His throwing problems were a result of a shoulder injury, but the Sox must be convinced he has that squared away or they wouldn't have let V-Mart walk.

Let us not forget that Salty was one of the hottest young catching prospects out there just a year ago. Everybody was sniffing around Texas for him last off-season - the Angels, the Yankees, the Red Sox, the Mets - all the usual suspects.

Scutaro - He is what he is. Solid defense, pretty good bat for a little guy.

Getting jacked up for tonight!

T-Minus 330 minutes!

Last edited:
So, he's a $14 million per year guaranteed contract ballplayer who, in your estimation is an "above average" defensively even though he doesn't have great speed or a good arm. He has averaged .273 with 19 hrs and 66 rbi's the 4 years his contract has held the Red Sox hostage.

Wow. I'm so sorry I'm not a big MLB fan anymore. That's inspiring.

Thanks, I'll stick to the NFL and the New England Patriots.

Using RBI's, HR's and batting average to determine a player's value to a team is so 1975.

Using RBI's, HR's and batting average to determine a player's value to a team is so 1975.

Runs scored, defensive range, arm and "Fire in the Belly" count too. We've discussed the first three already, would you like to discuss his "fire in the belly" and "lockerroom presence" now? Or would you not want to touch the subject of Mr. "My Swing is Beautiful, But I'll Eat By Myself and Take My Own Cab" Drew.

Sorry, but I don't see him as a a guaranteed $14 million per year ballplayer. Evidently, you do.

It's ok to have different opinions. I would have rather they be able to cut Drew and shave a few million per year from his ransom contract to put toward V-Mart.

But as we know, MLB is a hostage situation.

Last edited:
I'm ok with it. It's a big story.

I'm sure there will be plenty of Pats coverage there today also. Anyone who doesn't get enough of their fix there can always look at thousands of other media and internet outlets.......not to mention right here!

EEI is just doing their job.

(Though it does say alot about how far baseball has fallen when one of the 1 or 2 best first basemen in the sport is someone most of us have never heard of or could pick out of profile picture lineup).

Is that last part true? I don't live in Boston anymore, so I dunno how it's going on WEEI, but Gonzalez is right in that top tier of 1B, below Pujols but with Howard and Teixeira and above Fielder... do people really not know who he is? SoCal fans don't know/care about anything outside of the Lakers, but I'd expect Boston fans to realize how good he is.

Last edited:
Is that last part true? I don't live in Boston anymore, so I dunno how it's going on WEEI, but Gonzalez is right in that top tier of 1B, below Pujols but with Howard and Teixeira and above Fielder... do people really not know who he is? SoCal fans don't know/care about anything outside of the Lakers, but I'd expect Boston fans to realize how good he is.

People know who Gonzalez is. It's not any different than asking about the top 5-10 players at most positions in football. You'll find most people miss some of the best.

Big O = HUGE Sox fan

Tolerates football and probably gets pissed when they get more attention than his beloved pink hats

It's why the have Fred and Steve come in. None of them know or care much about football. Also why I rarely listen to them. Ordway did point out this afternoon though that at the the beginning of the season Borges said the Pats couldn't continue to compete on the same level as the Colts. another great insight by Ron Borges. :rofl:

Wow. Ok, I'm so glad this city actually have this type of discussion, we are bickering over our local sport teams. Patriots playing one of the biggest game of the season, the Red Sox just acquire a superstar, Celtics is demolishing every teams so far, and Bruins are winning. How many other cities can let you enjoy that?;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back