PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Old 2020 thread] NFL Free Agency/Trade Rumors:

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only way the Falcons can afford to trade Jones is to trade Alex Mack and maybe even another player with him, I was playing with the calculator over at OTC, and the Falcons only have a little less than 2 mil in cap space right now. Trading Jones (because he has a bunch of prorated bonus money spread out over the next three years) adds roughly 12 million to their cap, putting them over by slightly more than 10 mil. The only way to make that work is to include another player or two in the trade whose trade would bring the Falcons salary cap down enough to get them under the cap.

So here is the trade: Jones, Mack and Todd Gurley to the Pats for the Pats First and third round picks next year. Mack is a free agent after this year and so is Gurley, neither one were going to be brought back, so thier inclusion is really the only way the Falcons can trade away Jones and stay under the cap.

Mack could step right in at center, Gurley really doesnt have much left, and Jones would be a just what the doctor ordered. Plus Jones is signed for the next three years. Not sure if the Falcons would go for it, but at least I've made is feasible.
And the winner of the DW Toys award for this thread goes to Free Ted Williams! Seriously nice job thinking out of the box (pun intended)!

Gilmore? Although I think his value was higher a month ago than it is now.
Thuney, Gilmore, J.C., Wise, Michel. Would not be surprised to see any of those guys go. Wouldn’t t be surprised if Edelman was moved as well. Would be screwed up and an absolute heartbreaker, but we all know how Bill rolls.

Thuney, Gilmore, J.C., Wise, Michel. Would not be surprised to see any of those guys go. Wouldn’t t be surprised if Edelman was moved as well. Would be screwed up and an absolute heartbreaker, but we all know how Bill rolls.
Nobody is going to trade for Edelman. Where do people get these ideas?

You make it sound like I suggested the possibility of trading for LeBron. Maybe people get these ideas from the fact that he is a player on the team, that when healthy could be an asset to any team in the NFL in need of a clutch, hard nosed player. All it takes is one front office that can limit his snaps and feels like they can get a few good years out of him. Am I saying we should trade him and get a haul of picks? No. I said I wouldn’t be surprised if Bill unloaded him.

The only team that would likely do that is Tampa, because of Tom. But even then, it would likely be a 7th rounder only at most.

I do love Gilmore and Thuney, but it does make sense for NE to explore trade options given the financial hit those guys are about to undergo. Both would be worth quite a bit, especially to a team willing to grant an immediate extension. Yes, Gilmore too.

I could also see Jonathan Jones being worth quite a bit in trade. Dude has been fantastic, and he's young.

Would you guys trade for Ryan and dump Cam?

I know you are just asking a question but this might be dumbest idea I have seen this year so far.

We have seen what Cam brings to the team when we actually can gameplan and prep for an opponent in the first 3 games. Why would anyone downgrade to Fitzpatrick, give away trade assets AND pay more in salary ?

EDIT: My mistake for some reason when I read Ryan my brain went to Ryan Fitzpatrick. Just move along..

Last edited:
I think a trade market exists for our corners.

Why trade away actual talent when our cap situation will put us into a highly competitive situation the next 2 years while others will have to do a firesale ?

We are not a 0-5 team that has been consistently rolled but a couple bounces and COVID infections away from being 4-1 or even 5-0. And yet the sky is falling yet again as every year in the last decade.

I know you are just asking a question but this might be dumbest idea I have seen this year so far.

We have seen what Cam brings to the team when we actually can gameplan and prep for an opponent in the first 3 games. Why would anyone downgrade to Fitzpatrick, give away trade assets AND pay more in salary ?
I believe he was referring to Matt Ryan, but still..horrendous idea.

I could see Gilmore being traded for Golladay and a second rounder
Or traded for a first I’m telling you Gilmore has lost a step this season or is tesdij

I'm not sure I can handle two more weeks of these articles. "These 5 trades would be dream scenarios" includes Geno Atkins, who supposedly "would probably be New England’s best interior lineman, even over Lawrence Guy."

Atkins has played 37 snaps in two games this season. 0 tackles, 0 hurries, 0 hits, 0 sacks, 0 anything.

I could see Gilmore being traded for Golladay and a second rounder
Or traded for a first I’m telling you Gilmore has lost a step this season or is tesdij
I’d hate to see Gilmore go, not saying you’re wrong but I don’t want to see Jmac with more playing time, he’s definitely looks like he’s lost a step or two.

I meant Matt Ryan...I think he's a better thrower than Cam, albeit not as athletic, and could actually improve under BB/McD. That's why I was asking...

I meant Matt Ryan...I think he's a better thrower than Cam, albeit not as athletic, and could actually improve under BB/McD. That's why I was asking...

Sorry that's on me and clearly makes this is an different situation and clearly not the dumbest thing then. Mea culpa.

I'm not sure I can handle two more weeks of these articles. "These 5 trades would be dream scenarios" includes Geno Atkins, who supposedly "would probably be New England’s best interior lineman, even over Lawrence Guy."

Atkins has played 37 snaps in two games this season. 0 tackles, 0 hurries, 0 hits, 0 sacks, 0 anything.

Just two more weeks until those articles will change into "we should have traded for".

I really hope they pay JC Jackson he is developing into a very solid starter. Almost reminds me of Asante Samuel where he will gamble occasionally but will also make some big plays and be an all around solid corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back