PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OL trade questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Canin

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
  1. Could the Patriots acquire a new offensive lineman (even a left tackle) this season, or would it take too long for someone new to learn the Patriots' system?
  2. If the Pats could acquire a new offensive linesman, how much does the loss of their first round draft pick hurt them in the trade?
My understanding is that (a) offensive lineman is the most complicated position to play; and (b) the Patriots' offensive playbook is much more complex than typical teams'.

1. Could the Patriots acquire a new offensive lineman (even a left tackle) this season, or would it take too long for someone new to learn the Patriots' system?
  2. If the Pats could acquire a new offensive linesman, how much does the loss of their first round draft pick hurt them in the trade?
My understanding is that (a) offensive lineman is the most complicated position to play; and (b) the Patriots' offensive playbook is much more complex than typical teams'.

I wouldn't think that OL is "the most complicated position to play," especially when compared to the positions of QB and WR. At the moment, we only currently have about 2.5m dollars in cap space, and as you've mentioned---two draft picks ('15 and '16) that have been taken away.

I would find it much more probable that Belichick attempts to turn trash into treasure on the cheap and/or if he does make a deal, it would likely be for a lower round pick. Draft picks and cap space need to be factored into any fantasy scenarios. To take it one step further, Belichick is probably quite happy with himself for extending Marcus Cannon should this specific opportunity present itself. It's highly doubtful that when the situation finally does, he immediately runs out and spends the rest of our cap space.

With a 38 year old not very agile QB this is a critical situation, it only takes one hit to finish with our season (all due respect to Garopollo, but I want to see Brady winning) and considering the "momentum" Goodell built towards Brady and the Pats for this season, and considering the ammount of empty heads playing DT and DE around the league, it's indeed a critical situation. I was very surprised by the level of professionalism on Greg Hardy this past sunday, he could have leveled Brady many times. I guess Hardy has a big target in his back too and can't screw up, I don't expect other defensive lineman to play that clean.

Problem is, money is short, there are not decent left tackles unemployed and the theft of our 1st round pick limits the hell out of BB. Goodell really needs to die in pain and misery, that scumbag sob.

Good LT are difficult to find.. between Cannon, Fleming and mixing in a few or our TE's to compliment the LT might work.

Patriots team gaps have always been filled, and pretty confident BB & krewe will come up with some plan..

Neither Fleming or Barker are left tackles. Cannon isn't either, for that matter. Blaine Clausell played left tackle exclusively, 38 starts, for SEC team Mississippi state. He's been on the practice squad since September, I think. I imagine they'll be coaching him up at the very least.

it only takes one hit to finish with our season

Sorry, this is a lame take. It hypothetically takes one hit to "finish" every season, a, and b, I don't think Brady being hurt would finish the season.

Neither Fleming or Barker are left tackles. Cannon isn't either, for that matter. Blaine Clausell played left tackle exclusively, 38 starts, for SEC team Mississippi state. He's been on the practice squad since September, I think. I imagine they'll be coaching him up at the very least.

Explain that to Googs then, since that's where they put Cannon on Sunday.

Is there one decent LT on a bad team on the last year of their contract who would get a compensatory pick when they sign elsewhere next year who can be had by trading down 10-15 slots in the middle-late rounds next draft?

I would think that Fleming or Clausell are going to get called up from the practice squad

My first inkling was for them to pursue re-acquiring Mankins.. However, he would cost $4.37M against the cap. Though it would go down $397K each week until the trade deadline.

I don't think there is any way to get a decent OT in here without giving up a lot.

I would be okay with it in theory but i just don't see it. I think we will just need to do a lot more chip blocking from here on out. It may hurt the offensive production a little but not too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes