PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OL Concerns

He has never had an attitude problem. Doesn’t look out if shape to me. Why throw out unfounded speculation like that?
Haters gotta hate.

Isn't this his final year in football? He has an attitude problem that's why he showed up out of shape for the OTA and a day late, regardless, and was put into a getting into shape program by BB and he didn't play at the OTA. I hope you are correct .
1) Yes, he wasn't happy with last year for many reasons. He signed expecting to play RT, with Wynn at LT. He expected an OL coach who knew what he was doing. He wasn't happy when the experiment of Wynn at RT didn't work in camp and ALL three coaches did nothing to make change (Judge, Patricia, and Belichick). Is that an ATTITUDE problem? Really? OK, cut him and let him play elsewhere. They are lots of teams that would be fine with him starting for them.

2) Brown is 30 years old. There is absolutely no reason to believe this is his last year. If folks don't think he is worthy to be an NFL player, fine. There are lots of teams who would hire him this year or next. Of course, there is a question whether Brown will be healthy for the whole season. Yes, this is always true of 30 year old veterans who weigh over 350 pounds. I think that the NEW coaches are fine with Brown, especially with Anderson and Reiff as backups.

3) Personally, I would like to see Brown at RT, giving us a "block the sun" right side to run behind.

4) Yes, Brown was "out of shape" for OTA's. So? Brown and other giants are often out of shape for OTA's. The issue is whether he is willing and able to work himself into shape for the scrimmages and FOR THE SEASON. Brown (like many old vets doesn't really need the extra reps of camp and the pre-season.

BOTTOM LINE
Brown is NOT the player he was in his prime. That is NOT a reason for him to be cut or to voluntarily retire. Maybe he has one more year as a contibutor, maybe five. As he declines in ability, he can make the choice with regard to continue playing in a diminished role. But now is NOT the time. For now, he is starter who needs a solid backup.

Gonna be interesting. Gotta like the confidence BB has bringing in Anderson. I like the group they have, sure there are question marks but I love the potential. Strange taking the next step would be huge. Sow just seems to have the it factor of a Thuney type that was overlooked. Onwenu is in a contract year and expect the max from him. He’s been really good for long stretches.
Seems Brown has his own training going on, he’ll be ready to go. Also in a contract year, He knows how it works and will give it all. Glad to see some needed depth at center too. Andrews has got another year in him but they finally have some potential depth. Excited for their camp to begin, should answer a lot. Possibly an extended preseason for them into October, who knows? We’ve seen this before.

I'm ok with good pass protection [of the OTs].
As the lawyers say, you’re asserting a fact not in evidence.

Time will tell.

The consensus among many of us are that we have a good to very good interior with worries about the tackle position. And the coaching must improve to at least where it was when the two young guys took over from Dante: Bricillo and Popovich. They did a _great_ job filling in the hall of fame shoes of Dante.

Last year left a lot to be enjoyed.

Brillo left with McDaniels to the Raiders. Popovich did a wonderful job last year at Troy in Alabama. He’s now with the Texans as an assistant OL coach.

Offensive line is perhaps Belichick’s most glaring weakness. To think he could entrust newbie Billy Yates and in over his head Patricia to this unit last year is outrageous.

So you’re saying he was only svelte and fit for that one day?
You're welcome to aspire to having tities like that.

1) Yes, he wasn't happy with last year for many reasons. He signed expecting to play RT, with Wynn at LT. He expected an OL coach who knew what he was doing. He wasn't happy when the experiment of Wynn at RT didn't work in camp and ALL three coaches did nothing to make change (Judge, Patricia, and Belichick). Is that an ATTITUDE problem? Really? OK, cut him and let him play elsewhere. They are lots of teams that would be fine with him starting for them.

2) Brown is 30 years old. There is absolutely no reason to believe this is his last year. If folks don't think he is worthy to be an NFL player, fine. There are lots of teams who would hire him this year or next. Of course, there is a question whether Brown will be healthy for the whole season. Yes, this is always true of 30 year old veterans who weigh over 350 pounds. I think that the NEW coaches are fine with Brown, especially with Anderson and Reiff as backups.

3) Personally, I would like to see Brown at RT, giving us a "block the sun" right side to run behind.

4) Yes, Brown was "out of shape" for OTA's. So? Brown and other giants are often out of shape for OTA's. The issue is whether he is willing and able to work himself into shape for the scrimmages and FOR THE SEASON. Brown (like many old vets doesn't really need the extra reps of camp and the pre-season.

BOTTOM LINE
Brown is NOT the player he was in his prime. That is NOT a reason for him to be cut or to voluntarily retire. Maybe he has one more year as a contibutor, maybe five. As he declines in ability, he can make the choice with regard to continue playing in a diminished role. But now is NOT the time. For now, he is starter who needs a solid backup.
Thanks, you make a lot of good points as usual, mgteich. I hope you are correct re: Brown. I want the Patriots to be a winner. Mac Jones must be protected for home to succeed.

You're welcome to aspire to having tities like that.
I aspire to the bank account they’ve brought him. And the athleticism he’s shown in the past, hopefully still has.

Thanks, you make a lot of good points as usual, mgteich. I hope you are correct re: Brown. I want the Patriots to be a winner. Mac Jones must be protected for home to succeed.
It’s gonna go hand and hand with Mac, O’brien, Klemm and that oline. Just Mac going through the progressions and learning his reads will help big time. He held onto the ball way too long at times. More confidence and control of the offense goes a long way into both improving quite a bit. No doubt they are gonna both be better next season. How much depends on them.

I aspire to the bank account they’ve brought him. And the athleticism he’s shown in the past, hopefully still has.
Correlation is not causation with Brown's titties.

It’s gonna go hand and hand with Mac, O’brien, Klemm and that online. Just Mac going through the progressions and learning his reads will help big time. He held onto the ball way too long at times. More confidence and control of the offense go a long way toward both improving quite a bit. No doubt they are gonna both be better next season. How much depends on them.
I have always said that Mac Jones has a slow release, the same as holding on to the ball too long. He still got crushed too often, however. Last year it could have been issues between him and some of the players of the OL. Not everyone on the Pats team likes him. Last season there were too many excuses for the failure of Mac Jones. This season he has a new line coach and a terrific OC. So the excuses mostly will be on him, if the OL holds the normal hold time. May all the problems be resolved. The defense will be the strength of the team not the offense. I hope he can move the ball in the Red Zone without depending on RBs.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back