PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ohtani (10/700) pushes athlete contracts closer to 1B

Ohtani is a unicorn, great player who can also get you a win pitching every 5th day.

It’s like signing a top notch pitcher and a slugger.

That salary is absurd... do not care if he can play all 9 positions at the same time.
Another nail in the MLB coffin..
Same average salary the next top of the market QB will get so... there's that

He's had two Tommy John's and hasn't even come back from the second one yet, Dodgers are nuts paying that kind of money. Eventually he might have to pick either pitch or just hit and he's not a great fielder.

That salary is absurd... do not care if he can play all 9 positions at the same time.
Another nail in the MLB coffin..
Yankees of the West? Will they Dodge this bullet? And I thought Arods 10/$252m at the time was absurd

Ohtani is a unicorn, great player who can also get you a win pitching every 5th day.

It’s like signing a top notch pitcher and a slugger.
Except he’s not pitching next season and then who knows how he pitches after 2 Tommy John surgeries. Just my opinion but I don’t see him pitching the entirety of the deal and then you have a 70 mil a year DH.

Deferred money for a player that may well become just a hitter ... desperate for a title.

The difference between O’s contact and mine…. Ouch.

So after taxes he’ll make >$30M a year. Still not a bad deal. Im sure further contract details will emerge and may lower his tax rate but not by much.

Whether he pitches like he once did going forward is a legit question. But he undoubtedly got this contract because he is/was great at two very important positions. Pitching and hitting.

Unless a star QB also becomes a great DE, we won't see a contract like this ever again.

All of that for the Dodgers to choke in the post-season

After hearing about the deferred money Bobby Bonilla day will eventually be replaced by Shohei Ohtani day.

between this and NBA and NFL salaries going up, its no wonder that ticket prices have been going up and are almost unaffordable and that the price of cable TV for sports keeps going up.

fans forget ultimately we are the ones who absorb these costs.

MLB contracts are all guaranteed money, no phony years or incentives, he gets every penny, even if they cut him. Another immigrant success story for the US:evil:.

I have no problem with athletes getting paid.... owners make money far beyond what any of these contracts cost.

But in MLB, there's neither a salary cap or a salary floor. This has resulted in an inherently flawed economic situation. There's really nothing stopping a team spending. Neither is there anything stopping a team from NOT spending. To wit: NY Mets with a 353M payroll vs Oakland with a 56M payroll.

It's possible, certainly, to be competitive at a low payroll, or to be awful with a high one, but when you look at teams overall where they finish in the standings vs their payroll, the ones that spend are the ones at the top.

between this and NBA and NFL salaries going up, its no wonder that ticket prices have been going up and are almost unaffordable and that the price of cable TV for sports keeps going up.

fans forget ultimately we are the ones who absorb these costs.
If we continue to care. Maybe people we engage in activities beyond sports, technology and tv

I think in about 3 years the Blue Jays will be really glad they didn't get saddled with this contract.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back