PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Officiating

What Venecol thinks of me has nothing to do with him knowing you are wrong all the time.
You brought up @venecol not me. But it's funny how you reference him as "proof that I'm wrong all the time" while his opinion of you is irrelevant.

You and I also ended up with the same score in the weekly picks even though I took an 0-16 in week one for not participating.

For Christ's sake you think the greatest quarterback of all-time is a fraud and a loser. Has anyone on this forum ever been more wrong about anything?

50/50 blame to be fair about it.

Yeah, Mr. 1 touchdown in the most important game in NFL history had nothing to do with it....

You brought up @venecol not me. But it's funny how you reference him as "proof that I'm wrong all the time" while his opinion of you is irrelevant.

Venecol references you as being wrong all the time. so stop.

You and I also ended up with the same score in the weekly picks even though I took an 0-16 in week one for not participating.

Pretty sure I've beaten you every year

For Christ's sake you think the greatest quarterback of all-time is a fraud and a loser. Has anyone on this forum ever been more wrong about anything?

I never said anything bad about Montana...knowing you you'll come up with a 5 paragraph response because you get triggered easily.

But they use your last point to give up on solving the problem - e.g. the reviewable PI was actually a step in the right direction but they abandoned it cause it wasn't perfect. Look at the NBA, a coach can challenge anything and the refs have the power to overturn anything, which BB has been asking for in the NFL.

As far as the personal fouls: again, I don't think the problem is with the officials' skills or their integrity, it's the speed of the game, so giving them more discretion is a good thing not a bad thing. Exhibit A is the out of bounds hit on Mahomes that decided Sunday's game. In that case I would assess a 5 yard penalty. A few years back they had a 5 vs 15 yard facemask penalty, which was a step in the right direction, but again they abandoned it cause it wasn't perfect.
How can you know there's no issue with official's integrity? We don't know these people. But we all know human nature. We also see the results on the field that occasionally suggest otherwise.

To rig a game doesn't require all officials to be in on it or for all calls to go one way. A large bettor might find 1-2 official to pay off for 2-3 calls in a game with a close spread, and only if the game is close or the bettor's team falls behind.

Maybe that official then waits until the 4th quarter to "accidentally" tell the clock operator to restart both clocks on a citrical 3rd down. Then runs to the edge of the field, off camera, and makes some half-hearted effort to waive the play dead without blowing his whistle (Chiefs were on offence at home don't tell me it was too loud). Then wait for the outcome of the play to decide whether the play was actually dead.

We've all seen refs when they're actually trying to stop a play. They blow their whistle non-stop (with other refs hearing this and they start blowing their whistles also) until the play stops. While blowing that whistle they waive their hands in the air furious while sprinting to the ball. This ref did none of that.

Cheaters will be smart about it. How do you think that NBA ref got away with things all those years?

Pretty sure I've beaten you every year
That's interesting since I don't recall ever participating before this season.

Starting to think arguing with MAC10 might be a complete waste of time.
Which would get the most votes in this poll:

1. MAC10 is a nitwit
2. RLKAGM2

Simply putting your arm around the neck of another player is not necessarily holding. This is what the definition is according to the rulebook:

At no point did O'Hara grab, tackle, hook, jerk, twist, turn, or pull Seymour. If you watch the play live, O'Hara has his arm around his neck just for a second, which is never enough for a holding call.
one of our Patriots fans is not like the others

Such an awful day for officiating, and probably the worst year I can ever remember in terms of the Pats getting hosed again and again.

While more cameras and sensors could undoubtedly help, some common sense changes would help more:

- have a ref upstairs and another watching TV, who can immediately call attention to a bad or missed call, and if it's clear let them overrule without replay, no matter what it is (penalty, catch, ball placement). The NCAA has some form of that.

- this ridiculous rushing to the LOS to get off the next play on a muffed reception has to stop. Like baseball let the coach ask for a pause so the team can look at replays.

- the refs also get a lot of ball placements wrong - I must have seen 10 of those yesterday which all mattered, a yard short of the first down.

- the clock between plays causes so many delay of games - a 30 yard pass and the team has to sprint down the field or they can't get the next play off, or the ref SOMETIMES puts another 25 seconds up there - come on!

- give the refs some discretion on late hits and other personal fouls so some can be 5 or 10 yards, not always 15 yards for an accidental touch out of bounds, and really none of them should result in an automatic 1st down.

- fix what's a catch, whether in the ez or not. The rules at the front of the ez are so different than the sides or back - just insanity.

- blow the freakin whistle immediately when a runner is ganged up on by 3 or more players

The probIems are partially the officials on the field, but it's mainly the league office.
Might have been mentioned already in the thread but I just got on, Number 1 and Number 2 are already in place, they just mucked it up. AS far as #2, you're supposed to have 20 seconds after the play to decide if you want to throw the red flag, that's why teams hurry up but if the refs do their job they wouldn't put the ball down until 20 seconds have run off the game clock.

I don't think so broad a conspiracy could possibly be established and maintain secrecy over time. I am not aware of any substantiated instance of fixing in the NFL. Am I wrong? (Perhaps I am!) If I ever thought fixing were going on, I'd probably stop watching the game. Even as it is, there are a few too many players who are such rotten human beings I find it hard to stomach watching them. I will never watch a game in which D. Watson plays, for example. Fixing would be the last straw.

Park Avenue doesn't even pretend trying to maintain secrecy. They cheat and just don't care if one segment of the population calls them on it because the other segment doesn't care either and they're whom the league is courting anyway. To all of them the end justifies the means.

Park Avenue doesn't even pretend trying to maintain secrecy. They cheat and just don't care if one segment of the population calls them on it because the other segment doesn't care either and they're whom the league is courting anyway. To all of them the end justifies the means.
Are you guys saying the patriots super bowl wins were fake? Or the league started cheating after you got bad. It's not clear to me.

I don’t know how to fix the refs or some of the league’s completely ass backwards rules but what I do know is this season was undoubtedly one of the worst referee screw jobs against the patriots over the last 20+ seasons. Every week you could guarantee a total WTF

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back