PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

*** OFFICIALLY UNOFFICIAL **** Patriots @ Cardinals Post-Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some quick thoughts.

#1 Jimmy G. A Very good first start. He did everything you could have expected. He made a few mistakes but made some very clutch plays and was active in making this a win and was not carried to the win clearly. He seemed cool, calm and collection for the most part and all but at 1 point seemed completely aware of the situation he was in at any given time. He still has issues at times calling coverages out and blitzers but that is to be expected. Overall He looked like an above average NFL Starting QB tonight.

#2 WRs - I did not expect much form this group and thought it be more of a TE/RB game but they were called on a lot and came though. The ran good routes and got open. Hogan and Edelman were constantly called upon and though Mitchell and Amendola only got spot chances to make an impact when called upon they tended to answer and made big time clutch plays. No drops tonight. Maybe catches that could have been made but i don't recall 1 clear drop.

#3 OL - It was not good but not horrible. Obviously they had their hand held a lot and at times looked awful but also had good stretches. Andrews besides 1 horrible wiff played pretty well. Thuney was the best OL on the feild I think. Cannon actually was pretty damn solid. Flemming needed baby sitting as one would expect and Mason couldn't do much. How much his injury factors in remains to be seen.

#4 TE - Derby made 1 huge mistake and is mostly responsible for 1 turnover and was not let back in the game much after that. Bennett had a great game that did not show up on the stat sheet much but showed solid hands and managed to fall foward and get a clutch first down and was an A+ in blocking tonight.

#5 RB -White was insane tonight. Also picked up a 3rd and 4 running to. Blount had a good game I think and though he didn't do much late the OL didn't allow much to happen late. Overall a mixed bag but a good game and I don't blame him for the fumble. I think that was pretty forced and it be hard for any back to hold on to it. Tip your hat on a good play.

#6 DL - This unit was a mixed bag. Overall they were only okay. They shined at times but also had times when nothing could be accomplished. Overall they did well stopping the run besides one missed tackle by Valentine that Johnson got out of. The pass rush was pretty decent but not usually timely except the Chris Long sack that saved 3 points.

#7 LBs - Collins and Hightower were not really let loose to do too much which was surprising. They did their job well and the few times they were asked to make plays they did. Overall a good game by both.

#8 DBs - This unit seemed pretty weak this game. Some missed chances for a turnover and they seemed to not be able to make too many plays when needed. A few clutch plays happened but overall the Card WRs had the better of it clearly.

#9 STs - This unit was very very good. The Pats dominated this phase mostly with the worst play being a short punt and the best being Jonathan Jones in the returners face on a booming punt to pin them back.

#10 Coaching - The coaching at times was brilliant and at times was too conservative and passive. Overall I can't criticize too much cause i felt there was some REALLY great calls made but clearly this was one of the points that kept AZ in it the most as it only takes a few mistakes or bad moments to lose a whole lot of what you gained by many positive calls.

Last edited:
I made a post game thread but this one is better. Just gonna edit the title.

I made a post game thread but this one is better. Just gonna edit the title.

Oh well we were making them at the same time I guess :p It happens. I am sure yours is great too! If yours was up first then I would encourage mods to combine this into yours.

lets just put this here then - hope its not important

i hope i was not too quick on the no injury thanks....

saw him limping out of one play close to the end but he played on what looked like normaly

not now Marcus! - not now when you've finally earned your spot!

EDIT:

New mod error locking the game thread just as I was about to post some brilliance.

:mad:
Just trying to encourage the migration!

I deleted my thread but apparently another one of us merged BD's thread with mine at the same time and then we ended up with no Postgame thread lol. Thankfully this thread was able to be revived...

Moderating from your iPhone can be a little tricky sometimes :oops:

I didn't watch the game, but I did see a play (was picking up a pizza) where White actually made a nice cut on a run play.

So, props to Mr. White for that!

Maybe bb can call Atlanta and pry offensive tackle Mathews lose from them for a second round pick.

- Given that they basically spun the wheel of fortune to pick tonight's offensive linemen, and OL play is all about continuity, that was better than we had any right to expect -- and the makeshift line only makes JG's composure all the more impressive.

- For a rookie who missed most of preseason, Malcolm Mitchell looked like a player.

- James White's limitations get discussed a lot here, but when it comes to his #1 job -- catching the ball -- the man is damned good.

- Preseason shmeseason, Gostkowski is just fine.

- How many games until we add Bennett to the "critical FAs" list? He did the dirty work on a Gronkless night, and did it well.

Last edited:
- Given that they basically spun the wheel of fortune to pick tonight's offensive linemen, and OL play is all about continuity, that was better than we had any right to expect -- and the makeshift line only makes JG's composure all the more impressive.

- For a rookie who missed most of preseason, Malcolm Mitchell looked like a player.

- James White's limitation get discussed a lot here, but when it comes to his #1 job -- catching the ball -- the man is damned good.

- Preseason shmeseason, Gostkowski is just fine.

- How many games until we add Bennett to the "critical FAs" list? He did the dirty work on a Gronkless night, and did it well.

You might add: Josh McDaniels FTW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing