PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Pregame Thread: Pats @ Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those guys are not #2 caliber on a good passing offense. On a team like the Pats maybe they are but I wouldn't call us a good passing offense yet.
Why are people upset we have a bunch of 2's at receiver now? Most of the time we had a bunch of 3's, this is like the best receiving corp the pats have had in 5 or 6 years.

Yeah - a #2 caliber receiver would be #2 on almost any team. Those guys wouldn't get much playing time on top passing teams like the Bucs, Cowboys, Rams, Bills, Chiefs, Bengals, etc
You mean Agholor wasn't the actual #2 receiver with the Raiders last year and Bourne wasn't the actual #2 receiver with the 49rs last year?

The Chiefs #2 WR put up 560 yards last year. The Boys 2nd receiver put up 911 yards. Seems like they are all right there

You mean Agholor wasn't the actual #2 receiver with the Raiders last year and Bourne wasn't the actual #2 receiver with the 49rs last year?

The Chiefs #2 WR put up 560 yards last year. The Boys 2nd receiver put up 911 yards. Seems like they are all right there

Hell, Godwin was the #2 on the Bucs last year and he had 840 yards. Brown might have had more if he'd played the whole season, but it was Evans (just barely over 1000), Godwin, then Gronk 3rd at 623.

Chargers were the 6th best passing offense in the league and their top guys were Allen at 992, Williams at 756, and Hunter Henry at 613.

There were teams at the top with two clear top guys (Buffalo had Diggs and Beasley, Atlanta would have had a higher yard total at #2 if Julio was healthy the whole year), but it's pretty clear you can have a top passing attack with a lot of different receiver distributions, so long as they mesh well together.

get ready for PJ walker at QB for the panthers on Sunday…

It would be a very Patriots-like thing to give up 380 combined air and ground yards to Walker, and 3 TDs to boot.

For historical perspective see:
Siemian, Trevor
Flynn, Michael
Feeley, AJ

:)

It would be a very Patriots-like thing to give up 380 combined air and ground yards to Walker, and 3 TDs to boot.

Siemian, Trevor
Flynn, Michael
Feeley, AJ

And most recently Davis Mills.

Lazar and Barth were talking up PJ quite a bit in their game preview podcast. They're not saying he's a great QB, but that between him and Darnold, they were hoping Darnold would play because you know him and you've beaten him before. Walker can make some really athletic plays, and if the Pats D takes him lightly and doesn't contain, he could make some big chunk plays.

If they stay disciplined and keep him in the pocket, they should be fine though.

I don't know why Panthers are getting so much respect for being a great D?
Their recent games have been against some bad offenses, but earlier DAL & MIN hurt them on the ground.
10/3 vs DAL - Prescott 188yds & 4 TDs, Elliot 143yds, 1 TD
10/10 vs PHI - Hurts 198yds & 1 INT, 75yds between Sanders, Hurts
10/17 vs. MIN - Cousins 373yds & 3TDs, Cook 140yds, 1 TD
10/24 vs. NYG - Jones 203yds & 1TD, over 100yds, 2 TDs rushing between Jones, Booker, Penny
10/31 vs. ATL - Ryan 146yds & 1TD

I think we can move the ball, and whoever plays QB should not be worrisome. CMac is the only danger, but he'd be the entire focus of our D.

Siemian, Trevor
Flynn, Michael
Feeley, AJ

Siemian faced the Pats only once and he was not very good.

I think some of the examples you're looking for are
Dan Orlovsky 353 yards passing 113 rating
Vince Young 400 yards passing, 40 yards rushing
Chad Henne 416 yards passing, 59 yards rushing

Basically take your pick from the 2011 season. LOL

Siemian, Trevor
Flynn, Michael
Feeley, AJ

Michael Flynn lmao

That Matt Flynn game was crazy though. Dan Connolly was a hell of a kick returner.

Bottom line, we're 4-1 when scoring at least 25pts.
I think we win 27-17
Harris goes over 100yds, and Meyers gets his first TD.

Siemian faced the Pats only once and he was not very good.

I think some of the examples you're looking for are
Dan Orlovsky 353 yards passing 113 rating
Vince Young 400 yards passing, 40 yards rushing
Chad Henne 416 yards passing, 59 yards rushing

Basically take your pick from the 2011 season. LOL

My bad. I was actually thinking Osweiler from the 2015 horror show ending (Harper punt drop) but looking at the box score now, his numbers weren’t great as I remembered. I am a big BB backer but allowing a rookie to field a punt in inclement weather in a hostile visiting stadium is still high up on his list of dumb decisions. Onside kick against the Eagles that same year is also high on the list. Somehow gave up 35 points that game even though Bradford threw for 120 yards.

Henne is a great one….I spent that whole game yelling “Chad f*cking Henne, are you sh*tting me!” at the TV. Totally forgot about turning allowing Orlovsky to morph into Marino. Embarrassing.

Reactions: sb1
Lazar and Barth were talking up PJ quite a bit in their game preview podcast. They're not saying he's a great QB, but that between him and Darnold, they were hoping Darnold would play because you know him and you've beaten him before. Walker can make some really athletic plays, and if the Pats D takes him lightly and doesn't contain, he could make some big chunk plays.
As I've said previously - I anticipate whoever plays QB for the Panthers will get both completions and yards because the Patriots will most likely scheme to take away the running game. Now will they get points and TDs - an actual measure - that's the question - I don't care if PJ looks like the best QB ever if the Patriots win the game.

I was really hoping to bash Trollin’ but looks like he was correct. Disappointing.

I was at the Patriots / Panthers game 20 years ago (make up game from the weekend after 9/11) and the place was rocking with Pats fans then. It will be interesting to see how many Pats fans are there this year.

It is great new that JC is back and his issue was illness related and not and injury. A couple of thoughts

a. I've heard a number of talking heads mention that the Pat would be better off with Darnold playing than Walker. I'm not one of them. There is a reason Walker is the back up. Remember the HC there has seen both of them play all through TC and almost half the season and determined that Darnold was the best option for his team to win.

Add that to the fact that the Pats have historically been very good ad defending QBs that are run threats, AND in Judon, KVN, and Collins, we have inside and outside LB's who match up well with defensive concepts that can control "active" QB's But we shall see.

b. The key for THIS game will be how the Pats offense moves the ball against a top 4 defense. It will also tell us a lot about this offense and where it is in its development. I expect to see a lot of the TE and RB's in the pass offense this week. Our running game is supposed to be a strength and if the running game can just make the 3rd and shorts, move the ball and not take losses and give use a 2001 kind of game where the run game doesn't dazzle us but gives us 25-30 offensive snaps.

c. On paper the coaching battle HEAVILY weighted in our favor and hopefully that follows true for the game.

d. We all are looking at the Panthers' injury report to see if Darnold or McCaffery are playing, but we ignoring the fact the there were 13 Pats on that report. Of course that has always been the Pats way since the injury report came into being. MOST of those 13 undoubtedly WILL play, but just WHO will miss the game is what kills us all.

e. Beckham just got released and by tomorrow will be released since I don't believe anyone will want to pick up that contract. I think the Saints would be the best landing spot, they have the need, and it would be coming home for him. Too good a fit not to happen.

f. I think BOTH McCaffery and Darnold play on Sunday

e. Beckham just got released and by tomorrow will be released since I don't believe anyone will want to pick up that contract. I think the Saints would be the best landing spot, they have the need, and it would be coming home for him. Too good a fit not to happen.
Talked with Miguel. If Beckham clears waivers, it won't be until Monday afternoon. If he clears, then he can be signed Monday night, but it won't be processed until Tuesday at 4pm.

THEY
DON’T
HAVE
A
QB

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back