PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD: Patriots lose to Raiders 21-17

Immediate Postgame Reactions
For those calling for Belichick to be fired, I don't think that's the answer. Belichick should be offered an ambassadorial role similar to what the Bucs did with Bruce Arians.

I'm going to disappear from the forums for the rest of the season because there just isn't anything interesting to talk about regarding this team anymore and my attention is better spent else where. Here's the last of it:
As you wish.

Some here are patriot fans, whether the patriots are competing for the Super Bowl or a top 5 draft pick. Some remember the pre-Kraft patriots. Some have even been her since the 60's.

People need to realize, he's good enough ... for now. You need someone who can be serviceable and win some games until they can draft the next guy, and hopefully that guy can get it done for you. Or Mac gets better and reaches a higher level if maybe they improve the line and get him actual guys to throw to. If not, at least you're building an offense that the next guy might be able to thrive in.

Right now, they don't have that. And Cunningham can't be successful for those reasons. Neither can Zappe. Or Grier. I mean, Zappe won two blowout games last year and can't even stay on the field this year. I sort of can't believe all the people who hate Mac and love Zappe can't look at that and be like ... WTF ...? It's easy to say Mac sucks, but the meltdown by both of those guys has to be attributed to what's going on around them.

They didn't both suddenly completely forget how to play. It just boggles my mind that people think anybody could operate with this group. That's sort of the killer, we can't really make any evaluations of any of the QBs if they don't have time or have anyone to throw to. It's just maddening. :rolleyes:
Sorry Ian but this is just more excuses in the long list of excuses to defend the mediocre performance of Mac Jones as a starting QB.

Last season it was Fatt Matt's fault or the OL, WR, etc. This season everyone was excited about Obie, Klemm, JuJu, etc.

There are 17 QBs sacked more times than Mac. All but 3 have higher QB ratings than Mac (#30). All but 1 have less INTs than Mac (#2) & he's on pace for 20 INTs this season. There are 11 starting QBs drafted since 2021 playing; 9 of them have better ratings than Mac, including all 3 starting rookies. Mac plays scared and doesn't have an ounce of clutch in his 220# body. You can continue to defend him and make excuses for his poor performance, but saying we can't evaluate him is just flat out wrong. Let's face it, he sucks man.

@upstater1 ter told me this team would be a playoff team with Herbert.

Herbert is now 2-3, in 3rd place in his division, only ahead of the only other AFC team with a record as bad as us, and just a blew 2 minute drive because he threw a pick while under pressure.

Hmmmm. Weird how that goes

He has been a Mac apologist from day 1
Agreed, I found 3 just by looking at Thornton.
I also remember the 1 where he had Bourne open over the middle but went to Henry for the dud throw instead.
Then of course he had Rham open just before he took the safety in the end zone.
I can name more.

Plus of course there are all the ACTUAL successful plays that they ran to add to that. Orlovsky is a clown.

He threw a perfect ball to Parker in crunch time under pressure and led them back to put them in that position. I don't know what else to say.
Mac Jones has only 1 4QC in 38 games. That's the worse record of any starting QB drafted in first 3 rounds since 2018.

He's not Brady.
No ****. He's not even Brian Hoyer.

He's an average guy who could be adequate if he had any semblance of help, whether it's up front or in the receiving corps. If people could realize that and just accept the kid for what he is, it would make life easier.
Mac is 17-21, he's well below average. We realize what he is. Unfortunately it's been folks like you and the IBBWT team that have been brow beating us skeptics into believing otherwise. More of your side are coming around to realize that Mac can only win when everything is perfect around him, with a lead or w/ a lot of help from D/ST.

Why not LG?

Onwenu is not a very good OT. He is a top level RG.
He played LG for half a season in Mac's first year and he was brutal. I have no idea why he's such a good RG but a bad LG. I don't understand those 2 positions well enough to make that assessment, but it seems like he can't drive on the left side of the road in the UK.

Sorry Ian but this is just more excuses in the long list of excuses to defend the mediocre performance of Mac Jones as a starting QB.

Last season it was Fatt Matt's fault or the OL, WR, etc. This season everyone was excited about Obie, Klemm, JuJu, etc.

There are 17 QBs sacked more times than Mac. All but 3 have higher QB ratings than Mac (#30). All but 1 have less INTs than Mac (#2) & he's on pace for 20 INTs this season. There are 11 starting QBs drafted since 2021 playing; 9 of them have better ratings than Mac, including all 3 starting rookies. Mac plays scared and doesn't have an ounce of clutch in his 220# body. You can continue to defend him and make excuses for his poor performance, but saying we can't evaluate him is just flat out wrong. Let's face it, he sucks man.
I have been a mac defender up until recently. The turnovers have really soured me on him.

But pointing out we have no line and no receivers is pretty much universally accepted in the league. I don’t believe mac could ever be elite in the league, but I have a pretty strong feeling he can be decent. There aren’t many elite quarterbacks. Surround him good talent and I bet he’s ok.

And maybe macs not the most clutch guy, but down 2 points with two minutes left in the game he threw one of the best deep balls you can throw. That was a clutch throw. So he’s got some clutch in him.

You’re an irrational mac hater, surely since the beginning.

Mac Jones has only 1 4QC in 38 games. That's the worse record of any starting QB drafted in first 3 rounds since 2018.

No ****. He's not even Brian Hoyer.

Mac is 17-21, he's well below average. We realize what he is. Unfortunately it's been folks like you and the IBBWT team that have been brow beating us skeptics into believing otherwise. More of your side are coming around to realize that Mac can only win when everything is perfect around him, with a lead or w/ a lot of help from D/ST.
Man I love you, but Mac hasn't had close to perfect at any point since he's been here. He currently has the worst offensive line in the league, a horrible running back set, and the worst WR corp at getting seperation.

And let's be real.... you need people to show to have 4QC. When you receivers can't make toe touches (Eagles) or drop dimes that should get you at the edge of field goal range (Raiders) you aren't making those comebacks.

Hoyer played like crap and he was throwing to Adams and Meyers and had Jacobs as a running back. Hoyer routinely underperformed with Hopkns in Houston. Hoyer stunk it up last year on this team.

This is just a bad team. Independent of QB, this is a bottom tier team.

Why not LG?

Onwenu is not a very good OT. He is a top level RG.

We have numbers to throw at Right Guard; but the condition at Right Tackle is at Critical Mass. VD Lowe must be removed from RT immediately; and if Bill insists on keeping Blob Brown at LT, then the only true option is moving Onemenu to RT when or if he's declared healthy enough to return.

At the time yes but it's 3 seasons later and he's done absolutely nothing in the league. Almost literally. In the few snaps he's played he sucked. No reason to think he's better than Mac Jones at this point in time nor that he's an NFL QB at all...and he has no path to be a starter. Still got a 4th rounder.

So yeah that's the bare minimum the team should ask for if they want to trade Mac. Anything less then forget it.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXIHnVB9ayo
This is a weird hill to die upon, but okay, let's look at this.

Trey Lance was drafted in 2021 and played 6 games, then 2 more in 2022 - these were all due to injuries to Jimmy G. He threw for 5 TDs and 3 Interceptions. He wasn't great, but for a rookie/2nd year guy who missed all of 2020 due to COVID cancelling the season and playing as a backup it wasn't horrible. More like Zappe, he played like a rookie backup QB.

But one thing he didn't do was demonstrate that he had somehow completely forgotten how to play football. He wasn't throwing bonehead pick-sixes across the field that had a chance to gain 2 yards on a 2nd and 10 if it all worked out somehow. Hell, do a search on "Mac Jones Pick Six" and choose whichever one you like, there's plenty! I was just reminded by that search of this gem from last year:

Pick 6 against Jets Called Back

That is so not an NFL play it's hard to fathom what was going through his mind. The backfoot lobs to nowhere, the panic from ghost rushers, the inability to spot open receivers, the weak arm that doesn't drive the ball...which GM who has seen his film would consider anything other than a late round pick-swap? I highly doubt you'd even get that.

But don't worry, we'll see who's right soon enough because he ain't gonna be this team's QB after this year and hopefully before too many more games.

i want to see this team with its original penceilled in starting 5 on the line . The only game strange and ownenu played , we had zero sacks.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back