PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD: Patriots lose to Raiders 21-17

Immediate Postgame Reactions
Tough to say. That's a stacked roster and a solid offensive line. And I do feel like Shanahan is underrated when it comes to developing quarterbacks.

Games like today remind me how devoid of talent they truly are. Watching Cunningham out there was eye-opening, because he also had zero chance to go anywhere on his sack. It's just so, so frustrating. If you can't consistently give guys time, you're dead.

And finding quality tackles is tough because you either have to sign them as FA's (and hope they want to come here) or try and draft them, which is also tough depending on who's available.
What are we doing here folks?

Were the Raiders unaware that Malik hasn't run the offense in practice, and he's there purely as a gadget player? Malik is not seriously this team's backup. A guy who doesn't run offense can't be. If you're the Raiders, you know this.

What did we actually think he was going to do? I have no idea why he was even out there.

BOB called a great game. Players couldn't execute.

Right, obviously his drafting in his last 5-10 years has done him in. Obviously if you can’t draft or sign a qb your going down the pasture like so many others have.

Having Brady makes the oline’s job a lot easier. No one moved in the pocket like he did with the pressure.
Ya know I think you hit on something else too. Brady did it for so long that Belichick maybe took for granted that he could get away with average protection.

Remember 2005? We made AFCG with Caldwell as WR1. How about 2013? This teams has more talent on offense than both of those.
The 2006 team (which is the one you are referring to, not 05) had
-Corey Dillon who was better than any of our RB's.
-Lawrence Maroney who is better than any of our current RB's.
-Ben Watson who had more yards per game and was averaging more yards than any of our pas catchers.
-a higher ranked offensive line with guys like Matt Light, Logan Mankins,

So no objectively, that was a better offense.

The 2013 Patriots had
-Julian Edelman having his break out season putting up 1000 yards
-Shane Vereen as a dual threat
-Blount and Ridley both out producing our current RB's.
-Gronk playing half the year and doing well when he played putting up big numbers.
-Danny Amendola out producing anyone on our team right now.
-again a higher ranked offensive line with guys like Logan Mankins, Connolly and Solder.

You have to be on crack to think either of those were less talented than this one.

It's hilarious that people can think this is a one man problem and then look at how much better objectively the offenses were in what used to be the BAD offenses of the Brady years.

I simply disagree. All the good players on Offense consists of Rham, Andrews, and Douglas. Who are the other dozen?

Wait. I see the flaw in your analysis. You don't factor in any cost for upgrades at OG or LT or swing OT. BTW, will it not cost to replace Dugger, Jennings and Oche?

In my thinking, I allot $20M to the defense.
======================
In a sense, you are counting on Anderson, Strange, Andrews, and Mafi. Is that at all reasonable?
Why do you need to replace these players? We have $150m under the cap. Why are you assuming we have no money.

We need a tackle or tackles. We invested a heap load on the interior of the OL and that's who we'll stick with: Andrews, Andrews, Onwenu, Strange, Mafi and Sow.

The kid missed three throws in the second half, including one that could have been the game-winner had Parker not dropped it. I've softened my stance on Mac, but I'm also a realist - this offensive line is a massive, massive issue.
Agreed. Mac isn't the answer. Replacing him isn't the fix either.

The first problem on the offense is the line. It sucks. It generates no run blocking, instantly collappses on the pass rush even when only 4 are coming, and they are constantly getting penalties.

What is next year’s OT class like?
Many of us have been saying this for YEARS, and it's gone largely unaddressed. It's like a repeat of ignoring WR during the dynasty years, without a QB capable of making up for holes.

Who's at the top of the draft? I'm OK with 2-15 if we beat the NYJest twice and they go 3-14. This team has holes. A year in the top 5-10 should help fill a few of those.

This team has been decimated by injuries, and it wasn't that good to start. It is what it is. The defense has a lot of good pieces, injuries not withstanding. The offense is a disaster. They need to find two starting OTs sooner rather than later. It's a bad enough need that I don't see how they do anything but take two tackles in the first 4 rounds this year.

Isn't that what most QBs do? You thought Brady was giving his true feelings during his press conferences?!?
It's different. This is crazy but I get serial killer vibes who plays the role of the guy saying what he thinks people want him to say "we tried hard, we made mistakes, we will look at film and get better". He sounds like a robot with same monotone answer every week.

Brady never sounded fake no matter how canned his answers were. Bill does not sound fake.

Mac has 0 presence. I don't understand how anyone can listen to him speak and think he has any leadership capability in him.

devante parker

22 targets 13 receptions 136 yards 0 TDs 27.2 ypg

he shouldn't play another snap this year. embarrassing

-Ben Watson who had more yards per game and was averaging more yards than any of our pas catchers.

The 2013 Patriots had
-Gronk playing half the year and doing well when he played putting up big numbers.
-again a higher ranked offensive line with guys like Logan Mankins, Connolly and Solder.

You have to be on crack to think either of those were less talented than this one.

It's hilarious that people can think this is a one man problem and then look at how much better objectively the offenses were in what used to be the BAD offenses of the Brady years.
We don't have clutch players.

What are we doing here folks?

Were the Raiders unaware that Malik hasn't run the offense in practice, and he's there purely as a gadget player? Malik is not seriously this team's backup. A guy who doesn't run offense can't be. If you're the Raiders, you know this.

What did we actually think he was going to do? I have no idea why he was even out there.
You can't have it both ways. You can't excuse the Cunningham play just because it points out the issues that are the root of Mac's problems. Cunningham had literally no where to go because of the jailbreak. He couldn't escape, couldn't extend the play, etc. Because the offensive line is absolutely terrible. Both Brown and Lowe were awful, and the Raiders also got pressure inside. You can't operate that way. At all. Cunningham is crazy athletic, but even he can't overcome that.

The 2013 Patriots had

Brady was the few QBs in the league during his time here that could elevate garbage to play well. He was a rare breed that you might have one or two of those guys around in any given season. But even then, the 2013 team was worlds better than this one and the 2006 o-line was worlds better than this one.

glad they didn’t win today, what was being 2-4 going to do for them? Nothing.

1-7 incoming, looking forward to that 3-5 range pick in the draft. Season has been over for a few weeks now but people don’t wanna accept facts.

The 2013 Patriots had

You are looking at it with the frame of who was their QB. 2013 started promising but was starting 2 rookie WRs before year end.

We have more talent this year especially on RB and WR.

People can blame Mac all they want (and he certainly isn't blameless), but no QB could make this offense good. There is no talent beyond maybe Bourne and Henry.
Did you see that throw off the back foot slightly across the body and about a foot over the head (and behind ) of Hunter Henry though?!?! That was atrocious

Jones sucks but I'm convinced if there was just and AVERAGE line and/or a legitimate #1 receiver this isn't a 1-5 teM

You say "Mac defenders" - it's more due to the fact you act as though capable guys are easy to find and readily available.

But if they can't protect him, it won't matter. And that goes for whoever they put back there - as we saw.

Everything begins at the line. And sadly that is just broken right now and not sure if even Scar coming back will fix it.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
It's different. This is crazy but I get serial killer vibes who plays the role of the guy saying what he thinks people want him to say "we tried hard, we made mistakes, we will look at film and get better". He sounds like a robot with same monotone answer every week.

Brady never sounded fake no matter how canned his answers were. Bill does not sound fake.

Mac has 0 presence. I don't understand how anyone can listen to him speak and think he has any leadership capability in him.

Brady was more press savvy. Belichick just has contempt for the media and gives them nothing other than snarky comments.

Just because Mac isn't good speaking to the media doesn't make him any more fake than Brady or any other QB. He just doesn't sell the BS as well. Few QBs are honest in press conferences.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back