PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread Official PostGame Thread - 2023 Week 7 - Patriots Win 29-25

Immediate Postgame Reactions
I am not sure why folks are giving you a hard time, you are 100% on point and I agree with your everything you've said throughout. Mac was bad in most prior weeks outside of week 1 and most of week 2, the team struggled on offense. Mac was great today, the team put up almost 30 points and beat a top AFC team. This shows that it's not so much about "Mac has nothing around him, Mac has no weapons, Mac can't cook with garbage" but rather "if Mac steps up, the team can succeed".
You don't think the Oline was a factor today? Mac sure did in his post game presser.

Based on game results today, and an assumption that Chargers will lose to Chiefs, Steelers will lose to Rams, and Dolphins will lose to Eagles later today/tomorrow:

Division winners:
Chiefs 6-1
Dolphins 5-2
Jaguars 5-2
Ravens 5-2
----
Wild card:
Buffalo 4-3
Colts 4-3
Steelers 3-3
----
Browns 3-3
Texans 3-3
Jets 3-3
Bengals 3-3
Raiders 3-4
Chargers 2-4
Titans 2-4
Patriots 2-5
Broncos 1-6

Patriots would only be 1.5 games behind the last wild card spot. Certainly not insurmountable. Plus many of the teams ahead of them have to play each other still, or still have to play several tough games. The Pats are mostly clearing their "tough" stretch.

If they can go 2-1 against Miami/Washington/Indianapolis before their bye week then I think they'll be primed to rest up and make a run after their bye against Giants/Chargers/Steelers/Chiefs/Broncos/Bills/Jets. That's a much softer slate - those are all teams they can beat if they play their A game like today, with the possible exception of KC, though maybe still.
Colts are not 4-3 but Steelers & Browns are both 4-2. Don't sleep on the Colts that have one of the easiest schedules left and can put up some points. Too soon to be concerned with this. Let's see how they play in Miami. Fortunately, temp has been mild in So Fl.

You don't think the Oline was a factor today? Mac sure did in his post game presser.
It’s called diverting season-blame despite throwing a lot of dopey passes to the opposing team.

Colts are not 4-3 but Steelers & Browns are both 4-2. Don't sleep on the Colts that have one of the easiest schedules left and can put up some points. Too soon to be concerned with this. Let's see how they play in Miami. Fortunately, temp has been mild in So Fl.
Yeah, I posted this when the Colts were up assuming the Browns would fail on the final drive, but the Browns came up in the clutch. Obviously the Steelers also got a win later.

I just like to look forward for fun. The main point is that the AFC isn't that intimidating and all of the wild card teams, or teams just outside of qualifying, are right around .500 which the Patriots can chase down at 2-5. But also, they can start to eye the division if some things break their way too.

Based on game results today, and an assumption that Chargers will lose to Chiefs, Steelers will lose to Rams, and Dolphins will lose to Eagles later today/tomorrow:

Division winners:
Chiefs 6-1
Dolphins 5-2
Jaguars 5-2
Ravens 5-2
----
Wild card:
Buffalo 4-3
Colts 4-3
Steelers 3-3
----
Browns 3-3
Texans 3-3
Jets 3-3
Bengals 3-3
Raiders 3-4
Chargers 2-4
Titans 2-4
Patriots 2-5
Broncos 1-6

Patriots would only be 1.5 games behind the last wild card spot. Certainly not insurmountable. Plus many of the teams ahead of them have to play each other still, or still have to play several tough games. The Pats are mostly clearing their "tough" stretch.

If they can go 2-1 against Miami/Washington/Indianapolis before their bye week then I think they'll be primed to rest up and make a run after their bye against Giants/Chargers/Steelers/Chiefs/Broncos/Bills/Jets. That's a much softer slate - those are all teams they can beat if they play their A game like today, with the possible exception of KC, though maybe still.
let's get to .500 or a game within .500 before we start worrying about playoff permutations

No clue why the flag got picked up on Andrew's being downfield seemed like the most clear cut penalty in the world the couple times I saw it. I know I'd be pissed if I was a Bills fan about that one
The play was behind the line of scrimmage so it was like a screen play, shovel pass, lateral or qb option where the linemen can get out front to block. They cannot go beyond five yards on forward pass plays beyond the line of scrimmage without being first designated an eligible receiver. It was the right call to pick up the flag.

Glad at 1-5, while snatching defeat from the jaws of victory again, they found a way to win against a good team

The offense looks completely different when you have Demario Douglas out there sprinting in motion and making plays all over the field. The eyeball test approves, he is our best skill player.
Eyeball test, stats test, successful-drives test, looking-like-a-professional-offense-test, and winning-the-game-test.

For those who watched the game. Do you think the team turned the corner or did buffalo just not play well?
Buffalo didn't play their best game, that's true.

BUT.

The Patriots had a much better gameplan in this game.

Their defense started strong, causing the Bills turnover that led to our first offensive TD and a 10 point lead.

Before the game the Bills said they had to avoid a slow start, but that's exactly what we did to them. They were playing from behind the whole game.

The defense eventually gave up plays and the Bills came back from a 12 point deficit to take a 3 point lead.

But that's when the offense pulled its own weight and scored the game-winning TD in the clutch.

I really can't complain about today's performance as each unit, defense and offense, fed off the other unit, resulting in the win.

Have we turned the corner? Too early to say. But today's performance was an all-around team win rather than the usual, defense pulls it out again but the offense looked like hot garbage. So that at least is a good sign going forward.

The OL absolutely was a huge factor enabling Mac to stay on his spot and maintain timing for a change. He went 25-for-30 (83 percent!) with only one sack and was hit just four times.

let's get to .500 or a game within .500 before we start worrying about playoff permutations

"Help! Help! I'm running out of things to throw cold water on!"

OLD CROWD GIF .gif

They were at 47% pressured at one point against Allen. You don't get much better than that except getting the actual sacks against the guy/
The way to deal with Josh Allen is to make him throw on the run. He will burn you a few times but he will also make mistakes. I loved the defense today with JC Jackson and Jack Jones in the secondary. The Bills wouldn't have come back in the second half if a healthy Matthew Judon was in the game.

I also liked the use of all three tight ends in key spots.

Last edited:
The way to deal with Josh Allen is to make him throw on the run. He will burn you a few times but he will also make mistakes. I loved the defense today with JC Jackson and Jack Jones in the secondary. The Bills wouldn't have come back in the second half if a healthy Matthew Hudson was in the game.

I agree it’s a comfortable win if Hudson is on the field.

when people like myself and others go absolutely batshit crazy when they lose games that are right there for the taking - Miami, Philadelphia.....all this playoff talk is why. you win just ONE of those games, throw in the Oakland game too....now you're 3-4 instead of 2-5, which is absolutely huge.
it was a great win today and there's a great chance to go 3-1 over the next 4. do that and you're looking at 5-6....see how big one of those earlier games would've been? in the national football league you cannot lose games when you have the ball and a chance to win the game late.

The play was behind the line of scrimmage so it was like a screen play, shovel pass, lateral or qb option where the linemen can get out front to block. They cannot go beyond five yards on forward pass plays beyond the line of scrimmage without being first designated an eligible receiver. It was the right call to pick up the flag.
You got the first part right, but the second part (5 yards on forward passes) is a college rule. Doesn't exist in the NFL. They have to be behind the line. But it's also true that refs allow them a couple yards cushion

The way to deal with Josh Allen is to make him throw on the run. He will burn you a few times but he will also make mistakes. I loved the defense today with JC Jackson and Jack Jones in the secondary. The Bills wouldn't have come back in the second half if a healthy Matthew Hudson was in the game.

Too bad we lost Gonzo, he's someone that can keep up with Diggs.

You got the first part right, but the second part (5 yards on forward passes) is a college rule. Doesn't exist in the NFL. They have to be behind the line. But it's also true that refs allow them a couple yards cushion
I can see why he threw the flag, it was close but after consulting with the other guys they got it right.

when people like myself and others go absolutely batshit crazy when they lose games that are right there for the taking - Miami, Philadelphia.....all this playoff talk is why. you win just ONE of those games, throw in the Oakland game too....now you're 3-4 instead of 2-5, which is absolutely huge.
it was a great win today and there's a great chance to go 3-1 over the next 4. do that and you're looking at 5-6....see how big one of those earlier games would've been? in the national football league you cannot lose games when you have the ball and a chance to win the game late.
They need to beat Miami before anybody can talk playoffs. With that said, beating buffalo is always good

Just watched the replay after work. Wow, what a game! Mac gets his clutch comeback win. Unbelievable the bills get the two touchdowns they needed but the Pats didn't quit. Keep those division wins coming.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back