PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post-Game Thread: Week 1 - Pats lose to Dolphins 17-16

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

The offensive line didn’t really look as advertised today. Mac was under pressure much more than I expected. His performance under that pressure is what really impressed me, but the line definitely needs to get better.

It's partly this but when you have crappy Herron at RT and keep calling 10 straight shotgun spread passing plays in a row, instead of bring your 2 TEs in to help protect your rookie QB, this is on the egomanic offensive coordinator for all the hits on Mac. This looks way too much like 2006 when Brady took a physical beating all year and then had to go find Guerrero.

Sure, I'm disappointed for all the obvious reasons, but I'm pretty happy with how Mac played. I feel like the first few series, they still had the training wheels on. Giving up 17 pts for the defense is pretty darn good, given the major lapses at times. I'm excited for the future, and the future is next week.

White was a stud as usual.

Can't dog Harris for the fumble.

Mac has a long road ahead. Tau is no scoring machine, but QBs coming to town are. James Winston threw 5 Tds today.

Up
Mac, Phillips, Bailey, Folk

Down
Herron, mental errors, red zone offense, D to start both halves

More teams need to adopt Shanahan’s run scheme. One JAG goes down, another comes in and rushes for 100 yards.

Run defense still a weakness, not going to win many games fumbling and losing the ball combined with multiple costly penalties. Team has potential but still have concerns. I don’t like the depth at RB, Sony should have been kept.

Our RB depth is terrible. The rookie fumbled. No Taylor. Seeing Bolden late in the game was cringe worthy. Should have kept Sony.

They didn't lose because Sony wasn't there. They lost because Harris fumbled.

If you want to question why Taylor wasn't active, I'll join in that one with you. But it'll be a general question, not one insisting that the team would have won if he'd been there.

This felt exactly like a late 2019/2020 Pats loss. Starting to think it doesn't matter who the QB is until we figure some other stuff out.

It was a good loss. I’m getting so sick of good losses.
I hear you and sympathize, but I already steeled myself a bit for some "good losses" expecting mistakes with a rookie QB. Just kind of stinky to have week 1 be a "good loss" but not for anything the QB did.

People here have been underestimating a bunch of teams. Miami's been one of them.
It's one reason why I'm not yet sold this is a playoff team in 2021 even with the improvements. We got better than last year - but so did our AFCE competition and a bunch of teams around the league.

You did see that Miami averaged 3.2 yards a carry right? Take away the one long (15yds!) carry and it was more like 2.7.

Bad post. See red zone. See 3rd and 1 including failing to stop and get the ball back at the end of the game. Godcheaux fell on his arse back 3 yards. The run defense is a problem.

I hate to lose, BUT … 6 months ago, we wondered if Belichick would get another decent QB. We just watched a kid with only one year of first-team reps in his entire career - and none here till last week - play like that in his rookie debut. Lost his starting LT - kid gives no ****s. This is a QB league, and Jones just got the attention of every HC and DC in the league.

but they couldn't stop the run.

lolphins longest run was 15 yards which was the 4th play of their opening drive and they only had 3 other runs that went more than 4 yards. you got no clue what you are talking about

hahahahahahahaha Dallas hahahahahahahahahaha

TD on this drive and they’re in good shape

You did see that Miami averaged 3.2 yards a carry right? Take away the one long (15yds!) carry and it was more like 2.7.
But couldn’t stop Miami when it mattered most. They ended the game running right at the pats.
a great D shuts them down and he s the ball back for the O to win. That’s what I most disappointed about.

Mac can’t keep taking the big hits. Harris looked gassed when he took himself out. They should have had Bolden or White in when he fumbled.

They didn't lose because Sony wasn't there. They lost because Harris fumbled.

If you want to question why Taylor wasn't active, I'll join in that one with you. But it'll be a general question, not one insisting that the team would have won if he'd been there.
My though was did Harris fumble because he was gassed? It would have been nice to have Sony there is share some of the load and also be a change of pace from Harris. I do worry a ton should Harris get hurt. That is what I was referring to about depth, not necessarily this particular game because Harris was great.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back