PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post-Game Thread: Week 1 - Pats lose to Dolphins 17-16

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Ross12

Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Really sucks to lose that way, fumbling inside the 10 yard line only down a point with like 2 min left.... all they really needed to do at that point was burn more time, kick the chip shot field goal and pretty much seal the win... but can't totally blame Harris since he was clearly gassed after Stevenson was benched early for also fumbling. Just not a good situation.

Far, far too many mistakes and costly penalties. The refs were truly awful today but I don't have the willpower to even dig into that. We know Bill will put a lot of time into cleaning things up and hopefully there's a quick turnaround there.

The one thing to take away is that after 1 game it looks like our QB of the future is here. Mac Jones was a baller today and bailed the team out of multiple bad situations that were not his fault. He ended the day 29/39 (74% completion percentage) for 281 yards, a TD, no picks and a 102.6 passer rating. Despite no Trent Brown and an iffy performance by Herron, and a lot of pressure from Miami, he made some beautiful throws. Some misses on the quick passes but it's understandable - that rhythm will come with time. I'm very excited about Mac and the future of the team.

Discuss!

Mac looked good and the receivers are better than last year. Only real positives.

D was okay at times but they couldn't stop the run. Very undisciplined game and it seemed like the pats were commiting penalties every other play. Harris was good but no one is going remember anything about his game today besides him fumbling the ball and costing this team the game.

Reguardless this is still a rebuilding year and the pats are still behind the bills and dolphins in the afc east.

- Mac Jones played amazing, as I expected. Accuracy, poise, killed the blitz. Hit so many different receivers. Repeatedly clutch on 3rd down. Brave in the pocket. But Mac took way too many hits (9 hits!), this is a major cause for concern related to another point below.
-Meyers and both TEs will be good. See ya NKeal, have absolutely zero need for you.
-Judon and Philips are gamers. Find a way to keep Philips on the field more. Also Uche is a keeper, legit starter and high potential but he did whiff and give the Dolphins a rushing TD.
- Pats had too many self inflicted wounds via fumbles and negating big plays by penalty.
- As feared in the off-season, the Pats still need a bonafide fat guy NT. Godchaux was knocked over easily, he is NOT the answer in short yardage. Short run defense failed in multiple key instances.
- OC sucked today. Multiple red zone failures. Why go away from 12 personnel after a successful 1st quarter? Rookie QB, you have 2 good tight ends, Brown hurt and turnstile Herron playing, so repeatedly call spread-shotgun 11-personnel plays getting your rookie QB hit over and over ?? Mac is going to get injured and not last the season with an egomanic OC more interested in looking smart, and stat-chasing, than protecting the health of a rookie QB. Pats should be in 12 personnel, under-center, for over 70% of snaps not just the first quarter.
- LB Bentley and DB SloJuan Williams should never play. They suck. Philips should always play before either Bentley or SloJuan see the field.
- OT Herron should also never see any snaps. If Brown is out then move Onwenu to RT and have Karras play LG

Last edited:
Run defense still a weakness, not going to win many games fumbling and losing the ball combined with multiple costly penalties. Team has potential but still have concerns. I don’t like the depth at RB, Sony should have been kept.

Lots of material for Bill. Some of those penalties were absolute killers.

Defense had its moments but some of the flaws from last year (and there were a ton of them last year) still need to be figured out.

OL played quite a bit below expectations. Mac is going to get hurt unless that's fixed

Mac was very solid. Just a disappointing loss though. They had it and f*cking mistakes all throughout the game.

Miami took advantage of the Pats defense in the first drive of both halves knowing they were going to play passive. Otherwise they didn't do much when they Pats D dictated play.

Mac played well. Fumbles cost us the game.

We have a legit starting qb. Got more into a rhythm the more he threw. Alot of mistakes to clean up team wise. We need some speed... Hope to see taylor next week

The offensive line didn’t really look as advertised today. Mac was under pressure much more than I expected. His performance under that pressure is what really impressed me, but the line definitely needs to get better.
The rotating rt position didnt help. But you're right i expected miami to wear down ..bot the patriots oline

Our RB depth is terrible. The rookie fumbled. No Taylor. Seeing Bolden late in the game was cringe worthy. Should have kept Sony.

Taylor and Asiasi should have played. Both were inactive. Not sure what role Bolden has anymore

I just saw the Stevenson fumble. Dude was clearly down. Lol. That seriously wasn’t overturned.

Mac looked good and the receivers are better than last year. Only real positives.

D was okay at times but they couldn't stop the run. Very undisciplined game and it seemed like the pats were commiting penalties every other play. Harris was good but no one is going remember anything about his game today besides him fumbling the ball and costing this team the game.

Reguardless this is still a rebuilding year and the pats are still behind the bills and dolphins in the afc east.
Run defense still a weakness, not going to win many games fumbling and losing the ball combined with multiple costly penalties. Team has potential but still have concerns. I don’t like the depth at RB, Sony should have been kept.

You did see that Miami averaged 3.2 yards a carry right? Take away the one long (15yds!) carry and it was more like 2.7.

- Mac Jones played amazing, as I expected. Accuracy, poise, killed the blitz. Hit so many different receivers. Repeatedly clutch on 3rd down. Took way too many hits, this is a major cause for concern related to another point below.
-Meyers and both TEs will be good. See ya NKeal have absolutely zero need for you.
-Judon and Philips are gamers. Find a way to keep Philips on the field more. Also Uche is a keeper, legit starter and high potential but he did whiff and give the Dolphins a rushing TD.
- Pats had too many self inflicted wounds via fumbles and negating big plays by penalty.
- As feared in the off-season, the Pats still need a bonafide fat guy NT. Godchaux was knocked over easily, he is NOT the answer in short yardage.
- OC sucked today. Multiple red zone failures. Where was the 12 personnel?? Rookie QB, you have 2 good tight ends, Brown hurt and turnstile Herron playing, so repeatedly call shotgun plays getting your rookie QB hit over and over ?? Mac is going to get injured and not last the season with an egomanic oc more interested in looking smart, and stat-chasing, than protecting the health of a rookie QB. Pats should be in 12 personnel, under-center, for over 70% of snaps not just the first quarter.
- LB Bentley and DB SloJuan Williams should never play. They suck. Philips should always play before either Bentley or SloJuan see the field.
- OT Herron should also never see any snaps. If Brown is out then move Onwenu to RT and have Karras play LG
I hold out hope for Harry with macs accuracy. We need some redzone help. But its only game one

I loved how Mac stood tall and delivered the TD pass knowing he was going to get hit. Brady-esque.

He can't be getting hit a lot like he was today though or our season will end a lot sooner than we'd like.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back