PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post-Game Thread: Week 1 - Pats lose to Dolphins 17-16

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

No sense in continuing further. This guy likes to argue for the sake of arguing. That's his thing.
I mean thats ok. I am not trying to stir up anything, I am just saying that I can see why the catch was not made and with the position of the throw it would have been tough to do much with it. I mean Mac had a good game, but nothing is flawless.

It was even more egregious when you realize Hunter Henry had no targets till the 4th quarter and Jonnu had like 1 catch till later in the game. This oc only thinks of TEs as bodies for run blocking. Has no idea how to use 2 TEs at the same time. This isn't an amoeba 2TE offense. It's a predictable run-mostly 2TE package. He doesn't think of TEs as part of the core game plan. Pats started on fire using 2TEs (probably chatting with BB on the first 10 plays) after that went back to the same crap.
Jesus, do you post about anything else? You're like a broken record. It was one game and two turnovers in the red area sealed the deal. Otherwise it would have been a win

Way too much happy horsecrap after losing the season opener at home to a (supposedly) inferior divisional opponent. This is the type of loss that comes back to kill you later in the year. Wasted a great start from Mac. Still feels just as bad the next day.
I know, no team that has lost their first division game has ever made it to the playoffs, it's sad

Jesus, do you post about anything else? You're like a broken record. It was one game and two turnovers in the red area sealed the deal. Otherwise it would have been a win
Or a close loss if we settle for a fg there and miami goes down the field and scores....Lot of things go into games, its not about one play or one mishap, its a combination of a lot of plays made in the game. If we are better in the redzone, it does not come down to one play, if we made more stops it does not come down to one play. Games have hundreds of plays and all of them mean something toward the outcome.

that's their stupid made up QBR rating.
and boy is that thing stupid. I just flat out stopped trying to figure out how they even come up with it. I have seen Bad Qb performances get 60's and meh performances get 80's. I mean I get there really is no great number to 100 percent determine a performance, but there is no rhyme or reason in that one I can even figure out.

I know, no team that has lost their first division game has ever made it to the playoffs, it's sad
Nobody said that, but lets just say its a lot different with pats fans after a loss these days than it used to be. I have seen 14-2 seasons and pats fans lose their minds over one of the two losses. lol Now its rainbows and kitty farts because we only lost by 1 and the Qb didnt suck.

Nobody said that, but lets just say its a lot different with pats fans after a loss these days than it used to be. I have seen 14-2 seasons and pats fans lose their minds over one of the two losses. lol Now its rainbows and kitty farts because we only lost by 1 and the Qb didnt suck.
I'm tired of these doom and gloom people here. Not enough 12 personnel, this loss will haunt us, Cam wouldn't have completely sh*t the bed in the face of that pass rush... the reality is we got amazing QB play that looked like a vet out there against a top D and despite the one side officiating and bad calls, almost managed to pull out a game winning drive. There's a lot to be excited for this season

I mean thats ok. I am not trying to stir up anything, I am just saying that I can see why the catch was not made and with the position of the throw it would have been tough to do much with it. I mean Mac had a good game, but nothing is flawless.
Absolutely.

I'm tired of these doom and gloom people here. Not enough 12 personnel, this loss will haunt us, Cam wouldn't have completely sh*t the bed in the face of that pass rush... the reality is we got amazing QB play that looked like a vet out there against a top D and despite the one side officiating and bad calls, almost managed to pull out a game winning drive. There's a lot to be excited for this season
Its not doom and gloom, and is Miami a top defense? Anyway, I am just saying we lost, thats it, that used to be a bad thing. I guess it depends on where the expectations are. I try to be a realist. I do not get overly excited at a win or a loss. Its a long season and I have seen teams get blown out and win the superbowl and I have seen teams be hot and ripping everyone up early and then not win the superbowl. I cannot judge a player after 1 performance or really even one year. If I did Wentz would be an all pro. I take it as it comes.

He was way out of position trying to catch the ball to get a first down, his momentum was leading him back and to the sideline. So no there would have been nothing easy about gathering after getting the off throw and then turning and getting the first down with a defender right there. That throw had to be leading him to a first down, it wasnt it was leading him to a loss or 1 yard at best. A better throw there he can catch it and turn up field in one motion. I know its nitpicking but sometimes thats what you have to do.
No, all he did was reach, he was running away from the defender, his momentum would easily have taken him to a first down.

It's not only after a loss that things are a lot different. This offseason was nothing short of perplexing. We hand out a record amount of millions in guaranteed $$ during FAcy and we honestly act like Jete fans. Even Kraft said so. Then we win the draft, we win the preseason, we annoint the QBOF as Brady-like before he takes his very first snap. What other team fans did all these things that we always laughed at? Yup, the Jete.

I can only assume this is some sort of post Brady PTSD going on, but it's damn embarrassing.

The team is better than last year "on paper." Let's see what happens. The future looks hopeful. There's a lot of new moving pieces, so communication and coordination is going to take a while to click.

The league is full of good QB that can complete passes and move the ball between the 20s but lack the IT needed to be clutch and make things happen when it counts. We just don't know what we have yet. What's funny is that Mac knows this. I guarantee he's not happy, at all, with the loss. I like him.

Run defense still a weakness, not going to win many games fumbling and losing the ball combined with multiple costly penalties. Team has potential but still have concerns. I don’t like the depth at RB, Sony should have been kept.
Yes .. Sony's 1 carry for TWO yards would've won the Pats the game. Not an overreaction on your part at all.

Run defense still a weakness, not going to win many games fumbling and losing the ball combined with multiple costly penalties. Team has potential but still have concerns. I don’t like the depth at RB, Sony should have been kept.
Sony did have a whole 2 yards (6 feet) more than JJ Taylor! Damn u BB .. that's unacceptable. What? Taylor wasn't even active and came that close to Sony's production? Ok .. carry on.

See…this is what frustrates me. No one seems to agree with me that these two TEs were terrible signings for $12.5M each. All offseason that’s been my biggest complaint about the team’s dealings.

Hunter Henry is a proven 600-750 yard guy, which breaks down to about 40 yards per game. He is a decent blocker but not a great one. Yesterday he had 30 yards, a couple of first downs, and was unspectacular but was solid. This is who he is. If he were some great, untapped talent then the Chargers would have thrown to him much more.

Jonnu Smith is a little different because there’s the sense the Titans buried him under some other solid options…but still, he’s never even had 450 yards in a season. He had 42 yards yesterday, which is actually a little above average for his career. It’s the same deal where I doubt the Titans saw an 800-yard guy and just decided to underuse him. He’s a good player who will get more production with more reps, but he isn’t special.

Both guys are getting Gronk/Kelce money. I think fans will be very disappointed because they believe the Patriots have some elite tight end combo. The only thing these guys are elite at is reaching free agency in a weak TE market with the Patriots having the most money to burn and being desperate to fix the position.
Wtf do you care what they paid them - there are no void years or anything like that. They're not in cap hell, They bought two reliable and good safety valves for a rookie QB.

Both of these guys were top 12 TEs in the league - what did you think they were going to cost? Both can play in line and are reliable pass catchers. Jonnu Smith probably has a lot more game-change potential, but Henry is legitimate top-10 NFL TE in his prime. And htat's the other key: they're both in their prime. TE is a naked position in the NFL these days. Half of them are big receivers, another bunch can block but not catch. Pats landed two guys who can do both.

Cameron Brate signed a 41 million $ contract 4 years ago. Mark Andrews just got a 56 million $ extension.

Kelce signed a 58 Million dollar deal and he's on the wrong side of 30 (and looked every bit of it near the end of last year).

For crissakes, just enjoy. The Pats have two top-third of the league TEs, and a promising back-up in Asiasi. That's going to make Mac Jones' development way easier.

Wtf do you care what they paid them

Lol…really? Only when Bill passes on someome do you become a huge advocate of cost not equalling value. I’ve seen you play both sides of the argument every time.

It’s hard to take your post seriously when it weaves between justifying the value and proclaiming we should just relax and not worry about the details.

Last edited:
Lol…really? Only when Bill passes on someome do you become a huge advocate of cost not equalling value. I’ve seen you play both sides of the argument every time.

It’s hard to take your post seriously when it weaves between justifying the value and proclaiming we should just relax and not worry about the details.
Both TE’s had no business getting that money, but there’s nobody else and the Pats had money to burn. The Jaylen Mills signing was the most bizarre as he was the scapegoat for the Eagles troubles. Took a ton of heat.

Both TE’s had no business getting that money, but there’s nobody else and the Pats had money to burn. The Jaylen Mills signing was the most bizarre as he was the scapegoat for the Eagles troubles. Took a ton of heat.
Bill seems to love Iggles castoffs for some weird reason.

It’s an NFL fact. Just look at the scores of the other games. How many teams won scoring 17 points or less? None.
It's not a fact, sorry. Let's just leave it there.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back