PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Post Game Thread- Rams beat the Pats

1. Okay what does winning the SB have to do with draft and FA decisions from that year hurting us? It doesn't

2. Were the 2018 Patriots a superior team to the 2007, 2010, 2015 or 2017 Patriots because they won the SB and those teams didn't? Would you give the 2018 better odds to beat all those teams? I doubt it. Sometimes a team can win a SB without being super dominant. Not all SB teams are equal. You would think a team that has been to 9 of them would have fans that get that.... again not that it has anything to do with free agency decisions from that year hurting the team
We had a lot of dead cap space and big contracts this year. That was a direct result of going for it in recent years. Last year we were set up to be a run first team which was ruined by injuries (which happens).

Who cares if the 2018 wasn’t as good in the regular season as 2007 and some other years. They won the f’n championship. Honestly, the big difference is it was led by a running game and defense which I suppose isn’t as exciting. Complaining about that is... I probably shouldn’t say. We Patriots fans are so spoiled.

I "value the pereption of being good over actually winning". That's what you got out of that? You know we have the GOAT coach right? You know we've had some teams that beat much more talented teams because of that right? Winning and having a good team that is going to be a good starting point for the future are two different things. In regards to winning the SB, the 2018 team did and that's all that matters in that regard. In regards to where we are now and years prior, yes there were missteps that happened in 2018 and some redflags that signaled where we were heading the next two years.

This isn't complicatd stuff. Some people really do struggle deeply with nuance and context
You said a Sb winning team wasn’t as good as teams that didn’t win sbs. There is no “nuance” in that.

We had a lot of dead cap space and big contracts this year. That was a direct result of going for it in recent years. Last year we were set up to be a run first team which was ruined by injuries (which happens).

Who cares if the 2018 wasn’t as good in the regular season as 2007 and some other years. They won the f’n championship. Honestly, the big difference is it was led by a running game and defense which I suppose isn’t as exciting. Complaining about that is... I probably shouldn’t say. We Patriots fans are so spoiled.
When you discuss a topic, context matters. The 2018 team can be a SB team and there also can be issues that happened that year that caused longterm problems that ultimately contributed to what happened down the road and you don't just ignore them because a SB occurred that year. We didn't win a SB that year because we got rid of Cooks and signed Matthews who got injured and then signed a bunch of other guys in the off season who either retired (Decker) or didn't pan out (Britt) or played a bit and got suspended (Gordon) and then had a similar WR circus the next year. So yes we won the SB that year, we also completely mismanaged the WR room and basically relied on Gronk and Edelman on their last gasps to do it (KC game).

The problems this year, did not start with this year. They had been years in the making. Our offense had trouble getting going in 2018, it basically took Gronk healing up and getting back to close to his old self and Sony Michel breaking out late (something that he didn't really retain). It looked good for the start of 2019 but sputtered out by week 3 when we played the Jets and you could see some issues and week 4 against the Bills illuminated them and it really was just hard to watch the offense the rest of the year. There was a reason we were desperate and got Sanu. Then this year without Brady the bottom fell out. It's not surprising to see the trajectory of this team's offense if you've been paying attention for the last few years.

Teams are built year over year. Like I said, good drafting from 2008-2013 ultimately set up the SB runs we experienced. Bad drafting and bad off seasons from 2017 to the present are starting to catch up with the team and and manifest in the on field product. It's no surprise that once we started getting helter skelter with the WR position back in 2018 and did it again in 2019 (Thomas, AB, Sanu) that we were in store for problems.

Nobody is complaining about the result of 2018. That is different than pointing out personnel decisions then that carried on to now

Ridiculous. The way i see it we might never see a rebuild here with BB. Cam stinks!
We should fire Bill and test out Stidham at HC. We won't really know for sure until he has a full offseason to prepare the team. But it can't be worse can it?

You said a Sb winning team wasn’t as good as teams that didn’t win sbs. There is no “nuance” in that.
Do you think the team that wins the SB every year is the best team in the NFL? Do you think the 2007 Giants were better than the 2007 Patriots because they went 1-1 with them (the loss being at their homefield and the win being at a neutral site)? Obviously that is preposterous. Not all SB teams are equal, that's just silly logic that nobody reasonable should take seriously. You can clearly have nuance in how much you value SB teams quality. We had 6 teams win SB's, obviously all 6 weren't as good each other. It would be preposterous to suggest otherwise. You can criticize aspects about the makeup of a SB team that led to issues down the road.

And regardless it doesn't have anything to do with what I said about team building issues that really started in 2018 effecting us today. I don't think our offensive issues today are caused by us winning the SB in 2018.

Try to keep up

We should fire Bill and test out Stidham at HC. We won't really know for sure until he has a full offseason to prepare the team. But it can't be worse can it?
You get my point. The season’s over but bill still wants to throw this guy on the field.

You get my point. The season’s over but bill still wants to throw this guy on the field.
The only logical reason I can see is this:
  • Their chances of making the playoffs are not strictly zero.
  • They have something to play for.
  • Apparently, BB thinks that, given the current roster, Newton gives them a better chance to win right now.
The problem is that the Patriots are potentially now stuck exactly where they don't want to be: the mediocrity treadmill—not good enough to compete for a title, not bad enough to get high draft picks in each round.

Pathetic, the talent isn't there to compete but considering it's 2020 and the NFL is a joke, it doesn't matter to me.

Forever Pats fan

When you discuss a topic, context matters. The 2018 team can be a SB team and there also can be issues that happened that year that caused longterm problems that ultimately contributed to what happened down the road and you don't just ignore them because a SB occurred that year. We didn't win a SB that year because we got rid of Cooks and signed Matthews who got injured and then signed a bunch of other guys in the off season who either retired (Decker) or didn't pan out (Britt) or played a bit and got suspended (Gordon) and then had a similar WR circus the next year. So yes we won the SB that year, we also completely mismanaged the WR room and basically relied on Gronk and Edelman on their last gasps to do it (KC game).

The problems this year, did not start with this year. They had been years in the making. Our offense had trouble getting going in 2018, it basically took Gronk healing up and getting back to close to his old self and Sony Michel breaking out late (something that he didn't really retain). It looked good for the start of 2019 but sputtered out by week 3 when we played the Jets and you could see some issues and week 4 against the Bills illuminated them and it really was just hard to watch the offense the rest of the year. There was a reason we were desperate and got Sanu. Then this year without Brady the bottom fell out. It's not surprising to see the trajectory of this team's offense if you've been paying attention for the last few years.

Teams are built year over year. Like I said, good drafting from 2008-2013 ultimately set up the SB runs we experienced. Bad drafting and bad off seasons from 2017 to the present are starting to catch up with the team and and manifest in the on field product. It's no surprise that once we started getting helter skelter with the WR position back in 2018 and did it again in 2019 (Thomas, AB, Sanu) that we were in store for problems.

Nobody is complaining about the result of 2018. That is different than pointing out personnel decisions then that carried on to now

Context does matter. Winning a SB is hard and generally means making long term sacrifices.

2014 season, the Pats beat the Seahawks. Seattle hasn’t been back to the SB since and has largely had to rebuild.
2015, Denver beat Carolina, both teams have sucked since
2016, Patriots beat Atlanta. Atlanta has sucked since
2017, Philly beat the Patriots. Philly has sucked since
2018, Patriots beat the Rams. The Rams were mediocre last year, but do look promising

Do you see a pattern?

And who cares if the 2018 Pats had some struggles. They won the f’ing championship over 31 other teams for the third time in 5 years. A high flying passing offense isn’t the be all end all.

Last edited:
Context does matter. Winning a SB is hard and generally means making long term sacrifices.

2014 season, the Pats beat the Seahawks. Seattle hasn’t been back to the SB since and has largely had to rebuild.
2015, Denver beat Carolina, both teams have sucked since
2016, Patriots beat Atlanta. Atlanta has sucked since
2017, Philly beat the Patriots. Philly has sucked since
2018, Patriots beat the Rams. The Rams were mediocre last year, but do look promising

Do you see a pattern?

And who cares if the 2018 Pats had some struggles. They won the f’ing championship over 31 other teams for the third time in 5 years. A high flying passing offense isn’t the be all end all.
We won 3 SB's from that span. The problems didn't start because of sacrafices made in 2014-2017. If anything we did a very admirable job probably having the strongest run towards the end (I would argue the team got progressively strong and peaked in 2016 and 2017). 2018 had clear problems happen in the off season that repeated the next year and the same positional group is still our weak point.

You can't really compare other teams.

Seattle won in 2013. They got back in 2014. They have been in the playoffs every year since. The team took a dip after the LOB rebelled and all left.

Denver had an all time great defense carry them to a title after their QB declines. You can't sustain a defense like that and they never found a QB. They were still contenders for 4 straight years. Carolina and Atlanta both got their because their QB's respectively had peak years and obviously you can't sustain something that is essentially an outlier. Philly likewise got to the playoffs off a QB having an MVP caliber year. If Wentz continued to have MVP years they would have competed. The Rams had a dip but they are largely still competetive. I chalk that up to more of a hangover.

We were able to be contenders for nearly 20 years. 05, 08 (Brady's injury), and 09 were the only years we really didn't have much of a chance. We were able to go from Brown to Branch, to Welker/Moss, to adding Gronk and Hernandez, to getting Edelman and others in the mix and then all of a sudden 18 years later we don't have a quality WR. That's a recent issue.

And again, you saying they won a championship doesn't dismiss that decisions made that year negatively effected us. It has nothing to do with the core issue. Starting in 2018 they mismanaged the skill position talent on the team and it got worse and worse each year and now we are talent devoid team on offense. That's just a fact.

What a pathetic performance by the NE Patriots last night.

Considering it is 2020 and Americans are getting sick and/or dying from the COVID-19 VIRUS. NFL football doesn't seem all that important to me.

I was surprised that the NFL had a season during this pandemic. It sure was poorly planned, and it doesn't matter the outcome, especially comparing it to all the unnecessary coronavirus deaths.

The Patriots don't have the talent this season to compete, but for me, however, it doesn't matter considering what we are dealing with in 2020.

I am forever a New England Patriots fan

Expected a loss vs a great Rams team, but I am disappointed in how we played. Got dominated all around.

Well, that sucked ass.

I'd THINK Cam just played himself out of a starting role, but I guess not? Harry actually showed some flashes, and if he can't get separation, but can make contested catches, maybe there's something to build off of there.

Uche looked amazing tonight if you focused on him. Goff kept getting rid of the ball quickly but Uche got lots of fast pressure and influenced a good amount of throws.

Really happy with the rookies this year. I think this could be one of Belichick's best classes. Onwenu, Dugger, Uche, look like future studs. Plus Jennings, Herron, and Bryant all look like they will develop into at least good role players. That's a great haul, even if the TEs and Kicker are complete busts.

Just trying to look at the bright side.

I said earlier this week that the season is a success if we find the new core, and I think we're getting there. The playoff chances are pretty damned slim now, but our future doesn't look too bad...provided we get even just a serviceable QB.

So if cam plays lights out you thinking 7-9?
they won't lose against the Jets so 7-9 is reasonable, but maybe he can earn himself a contract extension with Bill for another year and we will enjoy his great 50 yard pass, 0TD and 1 INT per game performances for another year to end up again at 7-9 or 6-10

IMO, we finish 8-8. Beat the Fins and the Jete, lose to the Toronto Jills of Ontario.

The good news is that the charade of a Super Bowl run can finally be put to rest.

The bad news is that the Pats are in no man's land: not in the playoffs, but also not with a top-10 draft pick.

No bad news imo. BB has done an unbelievable job this season. Unfortunately the Cam experiment isn't working out. Imagine if this team had an average QB.

Hopefully next season will include training camps and a pre-season because the more time BB has to coach these players the better.

I'm excited for next season but still haven't given up hope on this year.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back