PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Post Game Thread- Rams beat the Pats

Bill making excuses for Cam again this morning in his press conference. I didn’t remember him making excuses for Tom.

it’s clear that Bill was hoping when he took Cam that he was going to be his project to show everybody that he can win without Tom. And since that ship has sailed he can’t really seem to be able to get over it.
He’s made quite a few strange excuses this season. That’s just the most recent. He sort of tossed his scouting department under the bus earlier in the season when asked about the bad drafts in recent years, too.

Yeah, it's over....UNLESS COVID-19 adds another week to the schedule!

I have really enjoyed this season and will savor the opportunity to make the Dolphins/Bills EARN it. The next two games are important...we need to know where we stand division-wise and start preparing for the 2021 draft, free agency, mini camp, training camp, and pre-season. Exciting times ahead!!! And more exciting *if* we actually lose the final 3 and leapfrog Houston(Miami)/Denver and a bunch of 5-7 NFC teams in the draft order.... I want us to give it 100%....and see Stidham get more reps....he even threw a ball to Asiasi!!!

The Rams hit us with a lot of 12 personnel, which has been a complete departure from their norm this season. Probably for two reasons - 1) to catch us by surprise (and it did because we were in Nickel and Dime most of the game on D), and 2) because their film review showed ends who had trouble setting the edge. The seemed to target Simon a lot when he was on the field, easily sealing him off with either Higbee or their RT. Wino, when he played, and Uche were nothing to write home about either, though. Both are still a work in progress against the run. The results were obvious. They ran the ball right down our throat. This set up the play action nicely and, aside from one pick, Goff was efficient because that’s the way their offensive attack was designed. Limit his exposure to the blitz and make the D have to respect the run game. This brings a safety closer to the LOS and the play action becomes more lethal.

If they’re going to play Stidham, now is the time to do it. The season likely got the final nail in the coffin last night and they’re likely heading for their annual L in Miami to deal the deal on mediocrity and a 7-9/8-8 season. And yet, BB announced that Cam is their guy. Now, you’re probably saying, “well Kontra, how can that be? You’re a maven of all things football and have never once been wrong about anything before. Hung like a horse with the perfect vein-to-pube ratio, and a jizz that sprays like the rains in Africa. Why do you think this is?” I’ll tell you... at least IMO. It’s because the coaching staff watches the same film made for consumption for anyone who cares to buy Game Pass. The way the offense is constructed currently at WR and TE, Cam gives them the better chance to win.

I won’t bring up Harry because that horse has been beaten into the glue factory many times over. He is what he is. Byrd is a WR3 at best, Meyers is a WR2 at best who was completely locked down by Ramsey, and Edelman is on his last legs and hasn’t played in weeks. We don’t have a starting-caliber TE on the roster either. Izzo is a rich man’s Hooman and the rookies have been some combination of injured and worthless, to date. What DO we have? A great run blocking offensive line and, assuming he doesn’t have a disk injury and is done for the season, an emerging star in Harris to go along with Michel and White. Our strength is not in the passing game. It hasn’t been for 3 years now (four games at the beginning of last season aside). It’s how we run the ball. You put Stidham in there, and we will see what happened last night - he will get his ass kicked and average around 3.8 YPA. He’s not mobile. Cam is. And don’t get me wrong, Cam has sucked a fat one, but he can at least get yards with his legs if things break down. Stidham won’t give you that and he’ll look just as inept, if not more, through the air because that’s just not a strength of the 2020 offense. I suspect you’ll see some wholesale changes on that side of the ball in the offseason.

The other and maybe biggest thing left unsaid from last night was that BB was outcoached like he has never been, in a long time and I mentioned this a few times in the GDT last night. Rams run game makes its living off OZ runs, but they opened with IZ, gap and counters runs. Then at the half, when BB adjusted his D to the IZ, McVay, anticipating this, went right back to his OZ run game first thing after the half and we never really recovered from that. He basically "out-halftime-adjusted" BB and that's really saying something.

With the Rams schooling us on the run, the pressure was off Goff and McVay was able to just use him as a game manager.

He’s made quite a few strange excuses this season. That’s just the most recent. He sort of tossed his scouting department under the bus earlier in the season when asked about the bad drafts in recent years, too.
It has been the excuse tour for Bill. For a guy that has won so much he has come across as unbelievably insecure this year. I have no idea why. Would have been fine to just say we need to do a better job drafting and we are still figuring out the QB post Brady. I mean everyone in NE is just begging to give him a pass anyways.

I shut off the game after the Pick 6. Has Cam been watching too much recent Brady film?
Like a beloved pet now old and suffering, Cam regrettably needs to be set down.
Snark aside, I plan to watch the next Pats game. One game at a time. Like the young players.

The other and maybe biggest thing left unsaid from last night was that BB was outcoached like he has never been, in a long time and I mentioned this a few times in the GDT last night. Rams run game makes its living off OZ runs, but they opened with IZ, gap and counters runs. Then at the half, when BB adjusted his D to the IZ, McVay, anticipating this, went right back to his OZ run game first thing after the half and we never really recovered from that. He basically "out-halftime-adjusted" BB and that's really saying something.

With the Rams schooling us on the run, the pressure was off Goff and McVay was able to just use him as a game manager.
He basically did to us what the Steelers did in 2011. We came in expecting their usual three deep shell zone coverage, especially with Polamalu out. They played Cover-1, Cover-2 man under with the corners in press taking inside shade. By the time we adjusted, it was too late to catch up.

I shut off the game after the Pick 6. Has Cam been watching too much recent Brady film?
Like a beloved pet now old and suffering, Cam regrettably needs to be set down.
Snark aside, I plan to watch the next Pats game. One game at a time. Like the young players.

Agreed some of the young players are fun, but it is a bit painful when they make mistakes.

Do you want that, though ? Like, in the end, do you want to watch Brady drag this team to 10-6 and a first round exit ? I undertand if you do, but I don't. He is gone to better weather and better WEAPONS (heehee, patsfans love weapons). He won't win there, but he wasn't winning here either. Unless he's happy with a hat n T-shirt...
There's no way of knowing how Brady would have done here this year.
What I do know is that I'd prefer one and done over none and done.
I'd like to go to the dance even if I didn't end up with the prettiest lady.

Everyone knew Cam was going to carry the ball himself at the goal line on 4th down. So... let's run that play anyway and not try to get creative at all and see it fail. Makes sense.
It's hard to get "creative" inside the 5 when your OL is playing poorly and your QB isn't much of a passer and you don't have a red zone threat (I know we haven't seen it this year but there's this good red zone position called "tight end"). They ran that QB dive play in the Seattle game and Cam didn't score. Why? Johnson didn't finish his block, Mason missed his block and Onwenu was thrown down like a rag doll.

Cam should have pitched on the option play. Probably only one man for the back to beat on the highway. QB should pitch if he doesn't have a clear lane inside but I guess he read the back as covered by the OLB.

NEM's Law states that the OC is responsible for every Patriots loss. Still, you should go back and look at the game against the Chargers -- how McDaniels mixed things up so that a run-run-run offense kept the defense off balance. Last night, obviously, wasn't so successful, but it doesn't mean he sucks.
disagree. he came in with a game plan, and circumstances allowed it to work vs LAC and he didnt have to adjust. thats being result oriented. the D and ST came up big there. we clearly needed adjustments in the game vs LAR and none were made, at least none that were successful, in last nights game. thats indicate he's falling short IMO. we've seen the many times in past too.

Last edited:
It has been the excuse tour for Bill. For a guy that has won so much he has come across as unbelievably insecure this year. I have no idea why. Would have been fine to just say we need to do a better job drafting and we are still figuring out the QB post Brady. I mean everyone in NE is just begging to give him a pass anyways.
With Bill this year its NOT just been bad roster decisions and lack of talent, he seems like a different guy. Coaching has been bad for most of the year, even given the subpar talent. Also to me it seems BB has changed, he seems very at ease with accepting losses and failure. Also throwing his colleagues under the buses and making excuses are the antithesis of what we have known as the Patriot Way.
I still believe there is a chance BB hangs it up at the end of this year and moves into a "President of Football gig like Coughlin and Parcells did at the end of their coaching careers.

Yes. As long as it is within the 5 yard range from the line of scrimmage you can grab him. It was a great play by Donald as he could have rushed Cam but he saw Harris and grabbed him.
Judging by that and the way #41 moved inside prior to the snap but quickly went outside to the spot the ball was thrown, tells me that they either recognized the play right away or Cam was staring at Harris. The way the DL are putting up their arms and knocking down passes with their elbows has me thinking it's probably Cam.

The only thing that makes any sense to me is that the roster sucks, Bill knows the roster sucks, and Cam knows the roster sucks, but isn't *****ing about it. There's no other reason I can think of than to stick with Cam. Bill talks about Cam's accomplishments. The last guy was pretty accomplished as well. I think there's a level of respect that Bill has for Cam that has nothing to do with what we are seeing on game day. There's something behind the scenes that is making Bill stay locked in to Cam. Perhaps Stid is a clock puncher, and isn't doing the level of work that needs to be done, in Bill's eyes, to warrant a change. Perhaps Stid isn't grasping the offense. I dunno. I cannot figure out why Bill is staying with Cam, other than it's something we cannot see.

The only thing that makes any sense to me is that the roster sucks, Bill knows the roster sucks, and Cam knows the roster sucks, but isn't *****ing about it. There's no other reason I can think of than to stick with Cam. Bill talks about Cam's accomplishments. The last guy was pretty accomplished as well. I think there's a level of respect that Bill has for Cam that has nothing to do with what we are seeing on game day. There's something behind the scenes that is making Bill stay locked in to Cam. Perhaps Stid is a clock puncher, and isn't doing the level of work that needs to be done, in Bill's eyes, to warrant a change. Perhaps Stid isn't grasping the offense. I dunno. I cannot figure out why Bill is staying with Cam, other than it's something we cannot see.
I addressed this (well... my thoughts on it) in my last post before this one. Should be on the previous page.

Not sure if this has been talked about, but the redzone play calling last night was just embarrassing. Enough with the Cam iso plays 5+ yards out!

Last edited:
I'm loving watching this team. They fight for everything. I'll watch every game.
They didn't fight for everything last night.
NEM's Law states that the OC is responsible for every Patriots loss. Still, you should go back and look at the game against the Chargers -- how McDaniels mixed things up so that a run-run-run offense kept the defense off balance. Last night, obviously, wasn't so successful, but it doesn't mean he sucks.
No it doesn't, but Josh did suck last night.

Three reasons we lost:

Cant Newton...'nuff sed...feckin clueless...

Skippy...I knew we had lost from the Very First offensive play from scrimmage...And those RZ calls...

El manure...Should've been pulled much earlier...and been given help earlier than that...Some of us feared that he wasn't a left-side OLman...

(4. Not getting the DPI call for harry's double-move)

Not sure if this has been talked about, but the redzone play calling last night was just embarrassing. Enough with the Cam iso plays 5+ out!
They don't trust Cam to throw at all down there. I think that is smart. The run plays could be more creative I suppose but things are tight down there. I wish McD would study both KC and the Bills and the stuff they run in the RZ. Their play designs and creativity are impressive.

"C'mon rookies...especially you two TEs...Make me eat my words, if you're capable..."

Thought so.

I wonder if Stid just doesn't come off as a leader to the rest of the team. I'm not trying to save face for Bill at every turn, so I'm not too invested in this idea - but while I don't think Stid is in the doghouse, it's very possible he just doesn't lead the team well. Whether that's Bill's perception or the team as a whole, I'm not sure. But it seems that they really stick with Cam for his leadership if nothing else. Which, I mean - I dunno - leadership is important and having a person you want to lead you into a fight - for whatever reason - might be instrumental in preserving a culture (whatever the fcuk Patriot culture might be) in the face of a year that most saw, going into it and up until now, as a lost cause and a rebuild. If there's one thing Cam can do, it's posturing himself as a confident, ready-for-anything leader. Maybe Bill is taking a page out of battlefield philosophy on this one.

So hard to come to any concrete conclusions this year :/ Drives me nuts.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back