PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Lions

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Point of my post wasn’t to say “Zappe is da next Tahm!!!” The point is that Zappe’s SITUATION does line up in a similar manner to what Brady did stepping in for Bledsoe, and Zappe’s output today reminds me of Brady’s output at that time.

Again, not to say Zappe = Brady but rather that there may be merit to Bill once again taking the “hot hand” approach and playing the guy who is perhaps less explosive but making more plays overall regardless.
Explosive doesn't matter if it's exploding it to the other team. I like the way zappe kept his short accuracy on the run. Let's set if he can do better in the red zone next week

I wonder what happened to Saivion Smith? Hunter didn't hit him hard, like at all.

BB being BB to motivate Mac. Translation "stop crying about RPO and listen to your coaches". If if it is too early to judge Mac after less than two years it is too early to declare Zappe the best after one game where he was not asked to do anything special. Great team victory, may the best QB earn the starting job.
You are spot on, just that I initially thought Mac had nothing to worry about, I was just hyping Zappe for fun, but the way they are talking about him and what I see from him has surprised. Mac not in danger but if he struggles, he will be looking over his shoulder for sure.
Now in saying that, this is just not BB trying to motive Mac, these are genuine statements and read it for yourself
Belichick Said: “Bailey made a lot of good decisions,” the Patriots head coach said during his postgame press conference. “Was accurate with the ball. Thought he showed some poise there in some pressure situations where he got out of it and found an open receiver, made good decisions.”
“He does a good job of seeing the game and can come off and identify and articulate what he saw, what happened — and that’s usually right,” Belichick said. “What he saw is usually what I saw or, maybe, when you look at the film, maybe there’s something that’s a little gray in there, his explanation is actually good. It was the way he saw it. Maybe he might not have done the right thing, but he saw the game.

“And that goes all the way back to preseason. He played a lot in preseason. I think those snaps were good for him. He learned a lot, we learned a lot. And I think there’s definitely some benefit to the playing time that he had in preseason in the games that he’s played the last two weeks.”

Last edited:
BB being BB to motivate Mac. Translation "stop crying about RPO and listen to your coaches". If if it is too early to judge Mac after less than two years it is too early to declare Zappe the best after one game where he was not asked to do anything special. Great team victory, may the best QB earn the starting job.
He wasn't asked to do anything special? No, just put a 100 rating performance in a MUST WIN game in front of your home crowd in your very 1st NFL start. Kid had no pressure whatsoever. He handled it like a confident veteran. Led the team on 6 scoring drives. I blame the two drives that stalled req. punts on Patricia. Lol

Even today, we were only up 6-0 after 20 minutes. If that were a better team, we could've been down 14-6

Most fans do 'what ifs' 'if only's' and 'we coulda's' to come up with ways their team would've taken a lead or won. (For Instance Bills fans for most of the past couple of decades.) We here at Pats Fans, we are fortunate enough to be guided by more discerning eyes.

Zappe looked like rookie Mac, which is better than 2022 Mac. However, the fact that rookie Mac played (mostly) safe football gives me hope he can get back to that point.

Predraft, bb interviewed jack jones several times. Whatever jack jones put on tape, it caught bb’s attention! Glad he followed up on it!
The problem with Jack Jones pre-draft was not his ability playing CB, it was off-field issues. As long as he keeps his nose clean, he’s going to make a lot of plays and a lot of money.

Wilson and McMillan were better, as was Uche. If those three guys all step up over the course of the season it would be big. We need LB play, especially against the run. Duggar back really helped. Hopefully Jack and Marcus Jones keep expanding their roles, and Bryant is a backup again. Need to keep Tavai and Bryant on the bench. Hoping we get Guy back soon.

Wilson and McMillan were better, as was Uche. If those three guys all step up over the course of the season it would be big. We need LB play, especially against the run. Duggar back really helped. Hopefully Jack and Marcus Jones keep expanding their roles, and Bryant is a backup again. Need to keep Tavai and Bryant on the bench. Hoping we get Guy back soon.
Our LB substitutions stuck out to me as well. I saw McMillan out there a lot. Maybe even Jennings too? I’ll be curious to see the snap counts.

Our LB substitutions stuck out to me as well. I saw McMillan out there a lot. Maybe even Jennings too? I’ll be curious to see the snap counts.

Yes. I should have mentioned Jennings as well. Thanks for the addition. Uche, Jennings, McMillan, and Wilson would be huge.

Hopefully Barmore is more visible soon. I think Roberts was on the field for one play :D

This was a vintage bend but don't break game, which was thoroughly enjoyable. Lions had so many opportunities in NE territory, but couldn't capitalize.

Great to see Roberts on a couple of plays - even got really close to the QB! Also, ecstatic that my other (longer term) binkie got a TD.

Didn’t read all the threads but what was with Bourne? We all want him in there playing,gets his chance and he gets a penalty and then picks a fight with Bellickick on the sidelines after getting yelled at. Maybe that was the problem why he was in the doghouse before.

Didn’t read all the threads but what was with Bourne? We all want him in there playing,gets his chance and he gets a penalty and then picks a fight with Bellickick on the sidelines after getting yelled at. Maybe that was the problem why he was in the doghouse before.
Matty Ps fault of course

We did OK, That includes Steve and Matt's teams.
I know folks hate them, but sorry...GFY TODAY, Your mother is calling you to stop yapping in the basement.

We did OK, That includes Steve and Matt's teams.
I know folks hate them, but sorry...GFY TODAY, Your mother is calling you to stop yapping in the basement.
Yeah not much to complain about today. Holding a NFl team to 0 points is never easy.

Offensive management. If they had managed Mac the way they did Zapp it would have been a different story the first three games. They were way too aggressive early on.
The fact that we need to manage our first round pick in his 2nd year like we manage a 4th round pick in his first start is not a good look for Mac.

Having said that, I completely agree with you.

Mac not in danger but if he struggles, he will be looking over his shoulder for sure.
There's likely something to the fact that Jones' struggles this year are tied more to the mental aspect of playing the QB position than physical and fundamental. Further that additional mental pressure is exactly the last thing he needs to right the ship. If you're thinking about everything in football, you're not playing. Reactions are not automatic, but second guessed causing hesitation or worse exaggeration and rushed outcomes.

To me the hugest difference from last year to this year is Jones' confidence - he aint got that much. Having Zappe pushing him probably isn't going to increase it significantly either. It's a little Catch-22. Can he take a couple punches when he gets back (as I too believe there is no controversy at this time as to QB) where there's a terrible INT (like Agholor's yesterday) or the line doesn't hold up and he takes a big hit and instead of retreating further, he demonstrates the "golfer" mentality he showed a lot last year early in the year and just forgets the last outcomes and simply plays with confidence in his abilities?

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back